Locating coyotes before calling?

Randy i stopped drinking about 15 yrs ago, maybe you should or at least cut back a little.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

doggin coyotes : The coyotes in my area have never been very responsive to a call so we hunt them instead.
One guy goes in on tracks and the rest of the guys in the crew set-up at certain spots. If the tracker misses the coyote then the others that are posted take a crack at the coyote when it comes buy. If they miss then we send another tracker after the coyote into the next section till we get it or till it runs into a pipe or hole...
We have some areas where we don't hunt them much, so that way we have some new ones come winter again to hunt..
I also have areas set aside just for calling, something to keep me busy on the slow days or days without snow.
After awhile i let the guys go in and we clean a few of them out so if by some chance i educated one, we take and remove it so i have new blood for the next season..
Coyote dogs sounds like a good idea but i have enough bird dogs to feed as it is..

Dang it. I knew it was either tracking drives or dog drives.... I was close? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Use a siren to locate. There's no risk involved there and it works. I use to use a howler till I called a few to the truck. Just cause they're there doesn't mean they'll howl back. If it looks good get into postion and call it.

Last edited:
I kinda feel for you guys down there...up here coyotes are easy to locate because they're all over the freakin place, they wake me up at night howling and every place I look I see tracks and scat.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

After going 0-16 I really didn't need to hear that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If anyone is still reading this thread I'd appreciate some follow-up on the second part of my question. Is locating coyotes with either a siren or interrogation howl best to try after sundown or before sun up? It seems logical to me that pre-dawn would be the most appropriate because if you hear a pack response you know where they are just a few hours later when you make your calling stand. On the other hand, locating them in the evening gives them all night to move to another area. To call where they were heard the night before may mean you are calling in the morning where they ain't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Any comments on that?

Last edited:
IF you must, locate them as close to when you plan to call as you can. For example, I like to locate them, call them and kill them all at the same time...

Quote:
IF you must, locate them as close to when you plan to call as you can. For example, I like to locate them, call them and kill them all at the same time...

LOL.

Might not want to start your set off with the siren. LOL.

I generally know where the coyotes are. The only time I really spend anytime at all with locating is during spring denning and then again in summer up until mid august when the pups start dispersing. Locating works good for denning. The coyotes are very vocal and tend to stay close to a den, close being a realtive term. I'll often have an idea of the area of the den, historically, and roll in before sun-up and use a locator sound from a ways off. Once I get a response I'll mark it on the GPS and a map and move on to the next area. I'll come back later and work the areas I got responses in with the decoy/denning dogs and hopefully make quick work of the coyote.

During the summer I use it two ways. First I use it to locate YOY pups and family groups. Not to call the area but just to get an idea of whats out in my hunting grounds. I know that more than likely they will move about before hunting season but it's sort of a first brush stroke for the big picture. Once again at this time of the year the coyote are very vocal. Secondly, I use it on newly aquired properties, along with on the ground scouting, to try and gauge the amount of coyote activity in an area. This gives me time to do this several times before fur season and get a good idea if I need to get further permissions in the area. I do most summer locating after dark on full moon nights. Don't over do it. It's fun to talk to the coyotes but you can practice your calling in a non-hunting area.

As for sounds, as it is with most sounds whether distress, howling, or other ambient sounds, it depends on the coyotes. Some areas, they really light up with a siren but you could howl your lungs out and not get a reply, The oppisite is also true. Why? I don't know. I do know to vary my calling and see what works. Different things trigger them at different times for different reasons and this is different for each coyote. Once again it's all about brush strokes, so you can see the big picture.

Hope this helps. Don't get too hung up on any one thing, except for the wind, and just go out and try new things until you find what works for you.

Tim

Good post DTOM..

I also know where my coyotes are and the areas that hold them. As said before the coyotes don't respond well here so i have to locate them prior to calling to find out if they are in the area i'm calling in and above ground. Then i can go into area without being detected and set up and call to them and know that they are there. Thats the first key to calling coyotes, they have to be where you are calling and locateing does tell you where they are.
Now i know the coyotes are there and i called to them and they did not respond so now i may have to try changeing sounds or how much i call...

Like you DTOM i'm out locateing through-out the year just takeing inventory so i know what to exspect for next season.. Is my locateing educateing them No, if it was they would'nt howl back on the second or third time out. All they know was a coyote was in there area and nothing more..

Quote:
if you hear a pack response you know where they are just a few hours later when you make your calling stand.

Not true. Coyotes have legs bro. I know you're aware of this and I'm simply stating the obviouse here. I just couldn't help myself. Night time is hunting time for preds. I believe they travel at night more than any other time. If I heard yotes howl and it takes me 30mins to sneak in and get into position, I wouldn't expect them to still be there when I started calling. I would hope they'd be there but I wouldn't bet alot of my own money on it.

I've personaly witnessed on at least 2 occaisions where a coyote came from over a mile to get to my call. In both instances it only took the animal 3-5 mins to close into easy rifle range. Both instances the animal was traveling at a normal hunting walk or trot and was not rushing the call.

If you locate to just get a idea of whats there, you can do that anytime of nite.. But if you locate and plan on calling them in the A.M. then you will have to be out locateing a few hours before lite.. If they respond to youre locate howls they willbe close to there bedding area for the day...

I'm not buying it. I think locating tells you very little. But, you knew those were my thoughts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
If you locate to just get a idea of whats there, you can do that anytime of nite.. But if you locate and plan on calling them in the A.M. then you will have to be out locateing a few hours before lite.. If they respond to youre locate howls they willbe close to there bedding area for the day...

That is consistent with what I hear a lot. It does make sense that morning locating would reveal the most current whereabouts of a pack. I think there are a lot of guys who fail to realize the obvious. You can't call them where they ain't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Knowing positively that there are coyotes in front of you when you start calling is exciting in itself. Many times when I failed to get a response, I got up and left wondering if there were even any coyotes there. Now when I get skunked I'll have to think of another excuse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back