ATV muffler silencer

geep

A few months ago I read an article in one of my hunting magazines about ATV muffler silencers. It indicated that some silencers were less piercing and more suited for coyote hunting than others. I cannot relocate the article. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on this subject?

I've had two different ones on my Honda. Can't remember the names of either one... First one, I "think" was called a "Bentz"? Anyway... It was a pretty simple affair, clamped on, quieted it down some. Second one, I can't remember the name of at all, but I know that the company I bought it from, got bought out by Kolpin and that is who sells them now. A more complicated and expensive arrangement than the first one, and required welding, but it's WAY more quiet. You really can't hear the exhaust on my machine at all anymore, all you hear is the mechanical motor noise.

If I ever get a new machine, I'll get another one of these mufflers for it.

- DAA

I have a muffler/silencer on my quad. It is very effective, and you cant hear the exhaust at all. It is great for hunting, the only noise you can hear is the internal engine noise.

The bad part is, it reduces my gas mileage substantially. I have a Suzuki Eiger 400 and my gas mileage dropped almost 50%. This is compared to my hunting partners mileage with the same quad, but without the exra muffler.

My brother in law hooked up a muffler from a large motor home generator to his quad....No noise, No mileage reduction that he can tell.

There is a large artical on this in the current issue of Predator Exreem Magazine. I ignored most of it but they did test 3-4 differant brands.

there is an article in Feb 2009 predator xtreme that covers it. The companies are Flowmaster, Benz Silent Rider, and Kolpin.

I have the Benz on my Honda, and would say it helps cut noise by 30-40 %. It makes it quieter, but is by no means "silent".

Rich

100_0787.jpg

This is the one i have. Excuse the dirty quad, i was on a hunt.

I did a test a few years ago on the benz and the kolpin ,The benz was a piece of junk in my oppinion ,I sent it back .The kolpin was made by stealth exhaust systems and is truly superior to the benz , it reduces the noise level alot more and also creates less back pressure, no loss of horse power and no effect on fuel milage that i have seen , I have had mine for a few years now i would guess about 5 and it still works like it did when new , i highly recomend the stealt or kolpin system ,The only application that requires welding was the polaris if i remember right. DAVE???Help me out here.Either way its a easy thing to do . by the way i have been riding and racing motorcycles pro some 30 years now so i hope by now i know what im doing LOL.

Yup, Jerry, that's the one I have too. And I remember now about the welding. When I ordered mine, I had a choice between a bolt on or a weld on adapter - I chose the weld on.

- DAA

Last time I was out on a big cattle ranch I sat down on a coyote stand. It was a nice quiet morning, and my view extended over 1000 yards. Suddenly the silence was broken by the sound from the rancher's Honda ATV 900 yards away. I could hear it clearly. Makes you think about noise control for sure.

I have to take exception to the "knock" on Benz Silent Rider which appeared earlier in this Thread.

I have two of them on my ATV's and could not be more pleased. I've heard the others and was shocked at how ineffecient they were.

I guess that "what makes horse racing" as the saying goes. There are always two sides to every argument. I love my Benz and would buy another in a heartbeat!

Rustydog

Thanks Dave !!!!
Rustydog , Man maybe i got a bad one when they sent mine ??? I had no problem at all telling the diff between the stealt Now know as kolpin and the Benz silent rider . It was not even close . The Benz i got didnt do a tinkers damb worth of silencing my polaris, It even idled loud!!!! .But they did take it back so i have to give them credit for honesty on that part .

Back