Opinions on the Remington 700 LTR?

CaptainAhab

Hi All,

So I've been cooped up in a hotel for the last month and can't go hunting - I've been ordering guns to make up for it and was curious what you guys think of the Remington 700 LTR in .223?

I've shot .22-250 exclusively and have zero experience with the .223, so I'm wondering if this is the right rig for an accurate (factory ammo mostly) .223 bolt rifle? This is going to be a night hunting rig so I really like the 20" barrel and the fact that it's on an HS stock, apart from that, I don't know much about them...

Any opinions?

the LTR is a dandy rifle.

i have had mine for 3 or 4 years.

i skim bedded the action and recoil lug and lightened up the factory trigger, other than that it is completely stock.

i shoot a Black Hills 60 gr VMAX bullet and can easily shoot a ragged hole at 100 yds. probably could tighten up the groups slightly with a handload but until i run out of the Black Hills i am going to stick with what i am using now.

the short 20" barrel handles well but is somewhat "louder" than longer barreled guns...but i always use ear protection anyway.

Quote:
the LTR is a dandy rifle.

i have had mine for 3 or 4 years.

i skim bedded the action and recoil lug and lightened up the factory trigger, other than that it is completely stock.

i shoot a Black Hills 60 gr VMAX bullet and can easily shoot a ragged hole at 100 yds. probably could tighten up the groups slightly with a handload but until i run out of the Black Hills i am going to stick with what i am using now.

the short 20" barrel handles well but is somewhat "louder" than longer barreled guns...but i always use ear protection anyway.

Thanks for the reply - I just placed the order :)

I have had three, all were 308's. One was an absolute tack driver, one was just so-so, and the other was a pure POS. A friend had one in 223, had to have the chamber shortened, action trued and a few other things, which I can't remember,but ended up selling it. I guess its about a 50-50 shot at getting one that shoots. Then again, I've sold 1/2 in. guns cause I thought they should do better.

Quote:
I have had three, all were 308's. One was an absolute tack driver, one was just so-so, and the other was a pure POS. A friend had one in 223, had to have the chamber shortened, action trued and a few other things, which I can't remember,but ended up selling it. I guess its about a 50-50 shot at getting one that shoots. Then again, I've sold 1/2 in. guns cause I thought they should do better.

Now ya tell me! LOL - just kidding. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I'm really looking for something that will make a good night hunting rig, but I'm kind of OCD about accuracy even if I'm just shooting factory ammo.

What would YOU recommend as a good bolt-action .223 in the $1-1.5K range? I can go higher, but this is for a kind of beater gun and something ultra-nice is just going to get dinged up pretty badly over a couple of months...

I have the LTR in 308. It is THE MOST ACCURATE factory gun I have every owned.

This isn't typical but 5/8" groups are the norm.

dscn0975coyotemay2007vy9.jpg

Quote:
I have the LTR in 308. It is THE MOST ACCURATE factory gun I have every owned.

This isn't typical but 5/8" groups are the norm.

dscn0975coyotemay2007vy9.jpg

Awesome. Sounds pretty much like a lot of other reviews I've read on the 'net. I'm looking forward to getting home and picking it up!

I have one in .308. It is a very accurate gun, at least by my standards. I won't say that it is a consistant 1/2 MOA gun but it's shot its fair share of small groups. I like the way it feels and handles. I used mine to shoot the buck in my avatar and it will hopefully get used this spring for a little f-class action.
BP

i had a ltr in 223 that i couldnt keep a 2" group with factory and handloads it was a very nice gun other than it wouldnt shoot at all i tried bullets from 40-75 and everything in between maybe i just had a POS gun Ron

Ahab- If I had 1k to 1.5k to spend on a rifle, I wouldn't buy factory. I would get a donor rifle and build one. Have it made to your specks and you will be happy with it. My shootin buddy had an LTR in 308 and wasn't happy with the accuracy. He had the action worked over and a varmint contour Hart barrel installed ( just under$500.) and it will shoot.

I have one and what a shooter it is- but I may need to sell it to fund other gun projects. You hate to sell a gun that is a good shooter, half MOA! that is one- I shoot 77 grain Blackhills match bullets and have taken a few deer with it. I shoot it out to 300-400 yards very easy and confindent. I did up-grade my stock, and had a custom polish job done on the trigger. What a gun- don't hesitate on that one. Keep Center. JHG

Back