CCW choice???

My carry gun is a Glock 29 10mm with an extended 4.25" Storm Lake barrel, I also have a 4.25" 40S&W barrel for the gun.

Just installed XS sights Big Dot sight system onto it tonight need to get to the range and get it sighted in.

Just sold my Glock 23 40S&W with a 4.25" Barsto barrel I found I carried the G29 everywhere so decided I didn't need the G23 any longer.

Heck I even find myself carrying my ruger LCP most of the time when it is legal for me to carry.

Marshhawk ... I'm from Wisconsin also. What is an appropriate time and place that we can carry a weapon. I understand we can carry a weapon openly, but can we strap on a holster and walk into a grocery store for our hunting lunch? Please enlighten me as to our Wisconsin law, as you maybe able to tell I'm merely a hunter concerned about self defense at this point.

I see that IWB holster seems to be a choice of many who carry everyday but why dont more of you use a shoulder holster.It seems to me it would be easier to carry and would be easier to keep hidden.
I am thinking of getting one for my carry pistol and need to know the pros and cons.

Kimber ultra carry 11 45acp

A shoulder holster is a pain. It hangs and bangs into your body constantly. Unless you live in a cold climate it is difficult to conceil all the time. I have found them very uncomfortable for the long haul.

Pop

I live in Florida ....most of the time it's too hot for the additional clothing. And I find, it's not like the movies where evryone has a shoulder holster and you dont see a thing (in most scenes they dont have them on) the holsters print unless your clothes are custom fitted.
Just my opinion......never again.

Pop

Quote:
Quote:
I shoot them both constantly and reload for both as well.

Do yourself a favor and do not carry reloads. They're great for saving money for practice rounds but you are better off finding out what the local/state PO's use as ammo and use the same when you carry.

God forbid something terrible happens and you have to use your self-defense weapon, every facet of your decision, methodology, training and purpose for carrying a self-defense weapon will be scrutinized in court. Using hand-loaded ammo will be interpreted as you being a whacko who isn't satisfied with mass production ammo, which is sufficient for every law enforcement in existence, and who is bent on carrying the most destructive ammo you can create.

They will make every effort to twist sound reasoning and vilify you, the victim, not the criminal.

I don't carry reloads - well - I do to the range, but for CC purposes, I use (gasp) store bought self defense ammo.

Quote:
Grizz here.
I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II 45 ACP with night sights
and Crimsen trace Laser. It likes Black Talons. Obscenely accurate.

I'm drooling....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif...

Quote:
I see that IWB holster seems to be a choice of many who carry everyday but why dont more of you use a shoulder holster.It seems to me it would be easier to carry and would be easier to keep hidden.
I am thinking of getting one for my carry pistol and need to know the pros and cons.

Kimber ultra carry 11 45acp

I carried for many years as a plain clothes cop and off duty when a uniformed cop. I have tried every type concealed holster system ever thought up. In my opinion if your going to carry do it IWB strong side or at five oclock IWB or OWB depending on how you dress.
Shoulder holsters have so many cons I will not even try to find any pros. they are to easy to grab the shoulder rig like the widowmaker, presents the gun but to anyone who wants it. Unless you wear a jacket or sportcoat all the time they are impossible to hide well, they always print. They are a danger to anyone who may be behind you when you need to draw in a stress situation. I know four or five cops with holes in the armpit and backs of coats and jackets from doing this. When drawing from a shoulder rig you will teligraph what your doing every time, your hand has to go from your side up and across your body and under a jacket or coat, unsnap and draw the pistol. Strongside is just a natural movement no matter who the pistol is holstered. Shoulder rigs look good in movies and on TV, but the only cops you see wearing tham are the macho rookies,who do not know any better, or real old farts with back problems who can't stand the wieght on thier belt any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif You asked, that is why. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
I've been thinking about the Taurus Judge. It's .45 long colt and /or .410 gauge 5 shot. I think alternating with 00 buck would be the ticket. Around $600.00

if you get the judge make sure you get the 3" mag verson the new one the 2.5" is not intended for buckshot it is working them loose very fast and becoming unsafe. the new 3" model is made for buckshot. Ron the website shows them shooting buckshot with the 2.5" that is deceiving

Thanks, I plan on getting one this summer.

Quote:
Heck I even find myself carrying my ruger LCP most of the time when it is legal for me to carry.

Marshhawk ... I'm from Wisconsin also. What is an appropriate time and place that we can carry a weapon. I understand we can carry a weapon openly, but can we strap on a holster and walk into a grocery store for our hunting lunch? Please enlighten me as to our Wisconsin law, as you maybe able to tell I'm merely a hunter concerned about self defense at this point.

Yes you can, theoretically. Meaning there is no law against it. However I would'nt advised it unless you have free and good legal counsel. There are numerous cases were people have done such and have been arrested for disoradly conduct and had thier firearm confiscated. Some have had the charges dismissed and gun returned while others are still trying. The problem is most people don't know of the right and will call 911 and because police don't see it often they will most likely confront you, probably with guns drawn. Last year one guy in West Allis and another in Milwaukee were both arrested. One of the guys was planting trees in his own yard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I think both of these cases are still set to trial. So I would'nt do it unless you live in a small town and know what the cops will do. The charge for conceal carry is a class A misdomeaner. I don't know what that is in terms of fine or jail time, but it is better than loosing your life. If you do decide to carry, open or concealed, don't drink or have alcohol in your possession. Hopefully we will get the right to conceal carry soon.

BrowningBaby.jpg

How's this one for light weight. It's a .25 Browning Baby. About the same ballistics as a .22.

When I can carry, (outside of Wisconsin) I carry the one below.

Para645LDA.jpg

Or this one. A little lighter, but .380 instead of .45.

PPK.jpg

"Why do you carry a .45?" "'Cause they don't make a .46!"

The West Allis, Wi open carry disorderly conduct case goes to trial on the 17th of Feb. The West Milwaukee case is in limbo as the DA won't charge and won't return the firearm. His hearing to get his gun back is in March. Wait for the disposition of the West Allis case to see what happens. It will be interesting.

Fast Ed

Caliber is secondary to being able to hit your target. There's the old saying, "A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

I routinely carry .380, .38 Special, 9mm, and .45 ACP. The only time I feel "under gunned" is when I have nothing.

When it comes to 9mm v. 40 v. 45 etc, when it comes down to it, there isn't much difference in terminal performance when comparing modern defensive loads. Wound cavities are very similar in addition to penetration depth.

As far as capacities go, I don't know of anybody emerging from a gun fight and then complaining about having had too much ammo.

There is no such thing as "knock down" power in handgun rounds. What is important is having penetration to reach vital organs. For the smaller calibers this may require sticking with non-hollow point or ball ammo.

Most people die from handgun wounds because they have predisposed themselves to dying. Short of a strike to both lungs, the heart, major artery, or the central nervous system, most handgun wounds are survivable given what modern medicine and proper first aid is capable. Hence a saying I've picked up, "If you're shot you're only hit. If you're dead you don't know it."

Another problem is people in altered mental states. Your tweakers and dusters that don't feel pain couldn't care less that you just put a .44 Mag round straight through their heart and left it in ribbons. They've still got upwards of 30 seconds of functioning left before the oxygen in the brain is depleted and they ultimately expire. A lot can happen in 30 seconds, especially if the subject is armed.

The first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun. The first rule of a knife fight is to have a gun.

Brad Krause was acquitted of openly carrying a handgun in the City of West Allis, Wi. this morning. He had been charged with disorderly conduct while carrying a gun on his hip on his own property. This is the first step to getting concealed carry in this backward state. Stay tuned to see if WI or IL gets it first.

Fast Ed

The March issue of Guns & Ammo has the new Ruger LCR. The first ever Polymer frame revolver. It comes five shot DAO hammerless (fully shrouded), in .38 Special and is only 13oz. empty. They say it is strong enough for +P loads.

Does anyone know when this is expected to be on the shelves. I would really like to compare it with the LCP.

the 45 is the way to go but the 40 is fine. the main thing is to practice,practice and then practice somemore.i carry a colt full size 1911 in the fall and winter and a glock 36 in summer.the glock is a sweet gun to hide and is pretty much indestuctable.my heart still stays with the 1911.clint smith said a gun should be comforting not comfortable.when in dought GO BIG

Back