Feb 09' Fullmoon Results!!!!!

Only had time for 3 sets before the clouds and wind came in. Our very 1st set had the only action. After my second sequece on tweety I could hear something just tearing through the woods. I started lip squeaking and pulled a yote out of the wood line and coming straight for us and another close on it tail. My buddy got a little excited and tried to get his gun up off his lap (he should have sticks like me and should have waited) the coyote saw him before he could get a shot and went back into the woods. I tried some more calling and about 10 minutes later I saw the two sneeking along the woodline about 200 out. They were right in front of my partner but he didn't see them. I had to reposition and barked them to a stop. I took a hurried shot and missed.

2nd set had them howling but no takers

3rd set: should have went home after the second set because the weather was really changing for the worse.

Got a feeling the snow is going to be all gone tomorrow but if not I'll giver a try again. Mike

Got out Friday night for a few sets...

1st set - had a pack respond right away. After about 4-5 minutes of calling, this guy comes burnin' over the hill. I first picked him up at about 120yds and he was closing the gap fast. I barked him to a stop at 80 and took the shot. He started spinning and took off across the hillside so I put the crosshairs on him again and squeezed... cartwheeled him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

09.jpg

2nd - 4th sets - heard numerous coyotes howling, but no takers. The snow is leaving fast so I'm hoping to squeeze in another night or two.

Friday night we started at about 8pm. I got home at about 4:30am. We made a whopping 4 sets. Too many of the spots were dirty and we had to drive away. Had a cop walk out to investigate what was about to be our 5th set. We got up and decided to meet the cop half way and decided to drop our guns so he wouldnt feel the need to draw his side arm on us this time. It worked but he still had us raise our hands, Turn around and lay on the ground. It was stupid yet funny.

Quote:
Friday night we started at about 8pm. I got home at about 4:30am. We made a whopping 4 sets. Too many of the spots were dirty and we had to drive away. Had a cop walk out to investigate what was about to be our 5th set. We got up and decided to meet the cop half way and decided to drop our guns so he wouldnt feel the need to draw his side arm on us this time. It worked but he still had us raise our hands, Turn around and lay on the ground. It was stupid yet funny.

Why did he make you lay on the ground and all that? Sounds pretty silly. That's what I like about where I live, the cops don't worry about you walking up to them with a sidearm on if it's obvious that you're just out hunting.

That would have pissed me off. Hands up and lay on the ground because he sees two guys walking out of a field? Not right.

Last night was crazy to say the least. We heard coyotes at every set. Made 5 sets with harker and brother. 1st set dry, 2nd same. 3rd set we were on our way out to a new spot that we've been trying to call for the last three nights. Due to the fog and yotes already out in the field we had to hold until lastnight. Came over a hill and there was something in the field, not sure if it was an owl or predator cause it didn't move to lip sqeaks. After watching it in the binos for 3 min, I took a few more steps and sure enough it took off. Barked at it got him to stop at 150yds bang.... harker said you hit it, he's spinning. Walked up there to find hm, and two yotes starting barking and howling non stop. So Mark and I hit them with some challenge howls. There still cussing us out but after 10 min of this they both committ and come across the tree line to 40yds, bang, lead dog dead! Second one takes off. That one starts chewing us out for killing his buddy. So we ky-wi the same yote. It comes back after 5 min to with in 50yds but cant get him to stop, flees out to 150yds take a running shot. Missed. Beleive it or not a 4th yote shows up across the field walking around trying to figure it out. I was out of shells. It was intense to have them yelling at us that close. Went back today and looked for the first yote I shot at. LOTS of blood, tracked him for 3/4 mile never found him. 4th spot called in two fox, Mark killed one at 90yds. 5th spot called in two fox but no shot offered due to plowed field with no snow, they ran across the snow and stopped in the dark. Great night to be out!!

kids002-1.jpg

kids001.jpg

Last edited:
Fun night Saturday night...

-Set #1 had lots of howling in front and up wind of us. After calling for about 35 minutes with the last 10 minutes having no responses got up to walk downwind to my buddies location. Just as my buddy sees me walking towards him he stands up. A couple seconds after he stands up the warning barks start about 3-400 yds away in the cover. Tried to get them out in the open but no luck.

-Set #2 heard howling right away but after that nothing but angry farm dogs.

-set #3 set the call up about 40 yds upwind of my location, partner is about 100 yds downwind of me. After 10 minutes of howling my buddy shoots. I go to KiYis for a few minutes and then walk down to his location. He was pretty mad he missed one at about 75 yds. It was only his second time yote hunting. He did have to shoot quickly since the yote was a couple feet away from being directly downwind and bolting. Needed a third person. had we had someone watching the backdoor would have seen this one coming from a distance and been ready.

-4th set nothing but upsetting the local dogs and some distant howls.

Despite the miss a good night.

Last night was the best I've ever had. Had some new land to call and it really paid off. Like most other had howling at every stand.

1st: Lots of coyotes responding in the distance but nothing would come in

2nd: Did a int howl to start and got a group response only about 200 yrds away. Though we'd be in for some fast action. After a couple of minutes I did some soft rabbit distress calls. Nothing. Did some kiyi's, nothing. After about 20 minutes I put on the Raccoon distress call and did some kiyis on my mouth call at the same time. The coyotes had worked completely around the hill side and out of nowhere one was sitting just out from the woodline about 225. I had it in the binos and tried squeaking it but it wasn't moving. Just sat there on its haunches for about 5 minutes, never moved almost like a bobcat. In the woods behind it was another one that wouldn't come into the field. Finally my partner picked it up and took a shot. The slap sounded good and we had good blood but tracked it for a while and decided we'd leave it for a while and trail it some more at the end of the night. Which we did to no avail.

3rd: About the same. Started with the int howl and a pack opened up very close. went through my progressions, did the coon/coyote fight again followed by a group howl. At this point it was at least 25 min into the set again. Two coyotes came out of the woods. One stayed right on the woodline (80yrds) the other committed. It got to about 25 when my partner dropped the one on the woodline. We both blasted at the other one as it ran back but somehow both missed. should have been our first double. Need that Rock River that hopefully will be in this week.

4th set: Howling but no takers.

4 coyotes called. 2 shot. 1 killed. should have gotten 3 if we had brought our A game. That would be our last night hunt until we get some snow, which looks like a while. Mike

Got out last night for a little bit with no takers. It's pretty bad around here (Dakota County) with the weather we've had - fields are very dark. Had a little moon light on the way there but as soon as I get to my spot the clouds started rolling in too..

Better late then never right..Here yea go Chris...

196 yard shoot at a fox..Good job Chris...

DSCN1046.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

50 gr hollow point from my 22-250. I think it went in right in front of the right shoulder through the chest and hit the opposite shoulder blade and just exploded. There was a huge hole between the front legs.

Quote:
Quote:
I look over at Chris I had him about 350 yards down wind of me

Are you kidding me? 350 yards at night??? Seriously?

Story: must be bored again.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

What is the point you are trying to make here I think there is a bunch of us that want to know?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Why did he make you lay on the ground and all that? Sounds pretty silly. That's what I like about where I live, the cops don't worry about you walking up to them with a sidearm on if it's obvious that you're just out hunting.

This would have also pissed me off real bad!!! I talked with Phil about that the next day sounded like he kept his cool I said I would have flipped out an may have gone to jail no lie..

This is why I put a note up in my truck window with my cell # and my name and what im doing there now so that Sh-T dont happen to me over and over again I also should not have to do this but its what it has come down to DUM I KNOW!!..

I even called wright co: and carver co: about this crap back in Dec..I told them you mite want to let you Night offices know that there are coyote hunters out there all throw the night and I told him what has happend in the past he said ooooo sorry about that and they would let them know that we are out there hunting..!BULL S-IT!.. Just makes me mad and there is no reason for dum crap like that to happen at all to any of us night hunters!!!!!!

Ok sorry im done Bi-ching...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Hey now. Theres a good pic. Both eye's are open. Nice smile (Hunter actualy looks happy). Animals clean side forward. Tongue aint hanging out. Animal is placed well and looks handsome. Dang nice pic and *Beautifull* Fox C&C.

You might consider getting that one tanned TKA. Gorgeouse fox. Good size. Looks like little fur damage. The animal was called in. Good conversation point for gatherings at the house with a good story included. 196 steps is an impressive shot for a fox at night. -AND- You guy's finaly broke the dry spell for that dam lake.

Here's the story ya'll. I've been calling this lake a for about 4 years now. Animals seem to show up no problem but they never rush the call. I only had one fox I should have killed out there. The rest, fox and coyotes both, either go waaay down wind or stay several hundred yds away on the edge. The one time I hunted the lake this winter with NC I placed one of my guy's way down wind but none showed up that night.

NC Has experienced the same thing wich is why he placed TKA so far down wind Randy. When the fox showed up, It did the same thing they've been doing to us for a couple years out there. This time NC was set up for it. Tho the Fox didn't end up in TKA's lap, It did end up dead and thats a first out there.

Also alot of houses out there wich is another reason it's not one my favorite spots. Gotta be a resposible hunter/shooter and I dont trust any of the boneheads who live on the lake not to send a bullet my way thinking I'm a coyote.

LMAO!!! Wait a min..Now your both going to cheat on the good camara guy???? This is what it comes down to I see how it is..... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA LMAO!!! Oooo lord... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I look over at Chris I had him about 350 yards down wind of me

Are you kidding me? 350 yards at night??? Seriously?

Story: must be bored again.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

What is the point you are trying to make here I think there is a bunch of us that want to know?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

You are the most paranoid person on this board! I swear! Do your hackles raise up every time I ask a question? You need to take a chill pill.

Why am I asking???? Just because I'm surprised. At night that's a very long ways. I sometimes will hike someone out that far during the day time but at night I like to keep them closer. Less chance for missing something approaching.

But, obviously it worked for you! Good job.

Back