Are coyotes a danger to my dogs?

I would do what is necessary to get rid of them before finding out. It totally depends on the situation on any given night (or day) and you can never predict that. I am brand new to hunting, but not to seeing what wildlife can do to domestics. Comparing what happens between a given dog (or dogs) against a single coyote or two when it is not a "planned kill" is apples and oranges when it comes to a pack of coyotes who have figured out the territory and decide it is time to get rid of what they might decide are competing predator or just a pain in their tail.

I went through a similar thing after my VERY large Maine Coon cat was killed by a fox. I hadn't found this site yet and was doing internet searches trying to find info about cat-killing foxes and how to get rid of them. Instead of finding what I needed, I found people saying how foxes wouldn't bother a large cat because it would be too much for them to deal with (claws, teeth, and size), and how they had watched their cats chase off foxes, or even share food. After looking further, I found that many of these people were in England, and the situation is much different over there. The foxes are so spoiled off of eating garbage and so on that they just don't attack cats much, if at all.

My cat got out of the house one night, and that is all it took. After learning more, I think that the pair was teaching the pups how to hunt (my husband walked up on one that did not want to stop feeding, and saw two others hanging back a bit). After killing four foxes since then, none weighed near as much as that cat (~10 lbs versus 20 lbs for the cat, it didn't matter)

On the coyote side of things, it depends on location, the pack situation, the time of year (if they are raising young ones), how desperate they are, etc. Your dogs could be fine for 364 days a year, and them boom, they are gone. We have heard of several large dogs being lured away and never see again during mating season. We see many "lost dog" signs posted during that time of year.

JMHO, good luck!

P.S. Those wonderful pictures were taken in Colorado, not far from where a boy trying to snowboard one day was attacked by a lone coyote.

There have been so many issues with attacks in Greenwood Village (a VERY upper scale are near the Denver Tech Center), that they are contracting someone to come in and shoot. I am curious about how he will hunt in such a close area, but even moreso, how can I get a chance!

Your dogs may very well be fine, but in answering the OPs question, we don't know if his dogs are quite like yours. It doesn't sound like his dogs were raised to "know" about coyotes, while I gather yours were, or just have the right breeding and temperment to be "coyote-wise". If I was in his position, I would try to get rid of them.

If given the chance the coyotes will kill your dogs . do not tie them out at night , this would be a death sentence . i had a LARGE male chow close to 90 LBS and a good size female chow. One night i was awakened by a terrible fight.He was not tied up , just left out as i had done for years . this was breeding season time of year . I ran to the end of the driveway to find 4 coyotes on him , they had him stretched out and when all was said and done they removed about 5 LBS of flesh from his hind quarters . Had to put him down ,Had a Huge german shepard male at least 100 LBS coyotes killed him one night shortly after I gave him to a rancher friend of mine , I gave him away because if there was another male dog around he would kill it dead on the spot . The rancher let him roam every evening before he brought him in for the night , one evening he just didnt come home , It took him several days to find what was left of him . This is what started me calling coyotes . Payback is a [beeep] . I have seen this many times , Most of the time the coyotes win . They are like a buzzsaw in a fight , In my oppinion very few dogs would stand a chance if by themselves Or even a pair .

The issue to me is numbers. I hunt a lot in Neb and Ks. We have two large labs. One at 85 lbs and one at 100 lbs. Both males and both in great shape. The ranchers we stay with recommend that we put our dogs up for the night. DO NOT tie them out. If we do leave them out, leave them free. Their comments are as follows: one coyote (30-50lbs) will not attack dogs of this size. Two coyotes (30-50lbs) may or may not attack the dogs but probably not. Size does matter. Three or more coyotes that are determined to stake out their area would attack our dogs and the fight would undoubtedly favor the smaller coyotes. Numbers do matter. I have personally seen large dogs chase and try to kill coyotes. Single coyotes. Its sorta like a dog fight. Two dogs can easily defeat one other dog except maybe the fighting breeds which have no fear and no give up. Our labs are huge. The fangs on the 100 lb lab are over 1.25 inches in Length. Comparable to that of a small coyote but still has 100 lbs to 40 lbs average for the coyote. Put your dogs up unless they are used for keeping coyotes away but be prepared to lose them to a pack.

Last edited:
I have had people tell me that a dog chained to a house was killed by coyote, a pair of coon dogs, who probably think they can kick anybody's butt, were killed before the hunters could reach the fight.
A lifelong professional coyote killer was called to look for an old friends black lab. He read the story in the tracks in the snow, they lured the dog out with one animal, then it was killed by several others.
The coyote does not want to share its territory, decoy dogs can really take advantage of the coyotes trait. They decoy the coyotes to the hunter. O'Gorman told me if the dog is too aggressive or too stupid to run back to the hunter for help, sooner or later a group will take it down and kill it. This O'Gorman lives in MT, has been killing coyotes for 40 years, uses decoy dogs nearly every day in summer for denning and controlling the sheep killing coyotes. His MT coyotes are not as big as some of our eastern and midwestern coyotes. Oh, also he has killed more than 20,000 predators in his long carrier.
To answer your question, my opinion, yes they will kill your dog or dogs if they want or get the chance. Also, I have read Kirby's posts on hunting coyotes, and their behavior, he is very knowlegable on the subject, 40 yrs of experience should teach you if you pay attention. One situation with coyotes never could tell you much, you need to look at hundreds of situations, or hundreds of kills or hunts or trapped animals to say with a fairly certainty what will or could happen.

Last edited:
Well, my buddy had 3 big pit bulls that ran free (big rural farm). They used to go out at night and find the coyotes for a fight (or got lured out). After a couple trips to the vets for stitches, two of them ended up "missing". The survivor decided to stick close to the house and chase cows after that and my friend's dad finally whacked him with the .270.
I don't know how many coyotes they killed in those fights, but in the end, the pit bulls were extinct.

I'm just sayin.

Yes they can be. One may come in as a decoy, esp a female in heat and lead dogs out where the pack can and will kill them . Wolves are worse but a lon e dog even a big dog can be killed by yotes if they catch it. One thing I have noticed is that yotes are hunting like wolves more and more.

all I can say is they better not come around here cause my attack trained pomeranian will take care of business.

Hey guys,

I got a call from a lady who wanted me to come hunt coyotes on a farm because they had had trouble with them attacking their dog. I was imagining a small poodle like dog. Here are some photos . . .

DSC00655.jpg

This dog's name is "Bear". They ahve had him to the vet three times with wounds from coyotes. One night they heard a ruckus outside and turned the porch light on and saw three coyotes attacking the dog. Here you can see some of the wounds. they have healed over by the time I took the photos . . .

DSC00657.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

This was in Jackson County WV!

Jim

Originally Posted By: huntingalIf a coyote can lure the dog away from the house it (the dog) might be in trouble.
Sometimes the coyote will make a yiping, pitiful sound to lure the dog out to where the rest of the pack is waiting to jump on it.
Keep the dogs close and they should be alright.

Yep, they lure them out then jump them.

My shelty (mini collie) was killed about a month ago. They lured him out into the corn field and then ganged up on him. He was probably 35 lbs. He made it back up to the house, blood everywhere. The vet said he was beyond repair, so he was put down.

This year it's personal.

it amaze's me the stories of yotes... there all good. from kirby's trail/ grey/stags that get whipped by one yote to evil lurker buddy's pits disapearing. they are hard to swallow guys. people around here with coyote dogs smoke them all the time. i'm not disputing the cocker or the lab that gets ate or bit from time to time, this thread started out with a heeler and a border that should ,would ,could have coyotehair in there [beeep] the next morning if the half grown pup wanted some of them.

emeraldterriers1

The story I spoke of previously. Was of a 47 lb weighed female coyote. She was tough as nails. Lb for lb, a coyote is more than a match for "most" any dog. Not all, but most all.

Key to any "single dog" killing a coyote [one on one]. Is if that dog gets in a lethal throat hold "quickly" on a coyote. Otherwise, that dog will have heck to pay in the process. Last thing to be still on a fighting/dieing coyote, is it's jaws & tail. They don't give up the fight easily.

Yeah "hounds" often do quite well with a lone coyote. But "1" hound, on "1" coyote will be a different story altogther.

As for their endurance. Yrs ago, our hounds chased a coyote 9 miles. We could see the chase almost entirely, as the terrain was mostly flat. That coyote loped & ran hard for the entire distance. Another hunt in abit more hilly terrain. Our hounds chased a coyote 11 miles. We could see most of the chase in the open areas. Which there was plenty of. That coyote may have paused momentarily, but ran & loped 11 miles. In a short time span. Any domestic dog, I seriously doubt has that kind of stamina.

Last edited:
as far as the stamina and endurance you are absolutly correct. then again they are a wild animal only the strong survive, no one there to take care of them, food ,water, medical ect,,, all things that are domiscated have. a bad injury to a coyote is a death sentence broken leg, broken jaw ect.. that being said if they don't have the upper hand or defending young 99% of wild animals will choose flight over fight. what would happen if a 16lb and a 21lb dog jumped a coyote? would they stand a chance? would the coyote try to kill them or run away?

Well in that scneario. My money is on the coyote.

For their size they have extremely long teeth. They also can open their mouth, wider than any dog I've ever seen. Take a Red Fox for instance. An adult Red Fox's canine teeth are right @ an 1" long. Mighty long chompers for such a little animal.

Both canines are a blur in a fight. Especially when they are fighting for their life. Some even have a payback personality, like my previous story of that 47 lb female coyote.

I've seen both, Red Fox & coyotes. When they knew they were going down from fighting hounds. Get a death hold on a hound & not let go. Even when they were being pounded on by other dogs.

Back