Are coyotes a danger to my dogs?

you guy's are talking about nonfighting and nonguardian breeds of dogs elk hound,golden,gsd,i can see them not fighting back!i own an 100lbs american bulldog that we use to caught hogs and kill anything that he can get a hold of.we used him once with coyote hounds we had a large male yote bayed up in a large blowdown we let him loose and he kill that yote in less then a min crushed his skull one bite.i now a lot of people who use bulldogs,pitbulls with there coyote hounds for kill dogs one on one?a little history an american bulldog was used on homesteads 100 yrs ago to fight and kill alpha wild dogs would run in attack and kill even if the whole was on top of him. your talking about family dogs that never even growled before there is breeds out there that can and will kill a coyote one on one or two?

here is your simple scenario.

Quote:
My grandmother has had 2 german shepherds and a red heeler on her ranch for quite a while now and typically if a coyote is seen by any of her dogs its gets ran off, especially if it is caught trespassing by the alpha german shepherd.

All Im trying to say to you is that the size and number of dogs DOES matter.

So you are basing your sole opinion on your Grandmother's dogs. Although, you have no other 1st hand experience/knowledge. When talking about what a coyote or a pr of coyotes. Or even what a family group of coyotes would or wouldn't do? If you did, then surely you would've shared such knowledge & or experiences in this discussion. Correct?

You base your sole view point, on that fact your Grandmother's dogs were never attacked by coyotes. Seems to be a narrow viewpoint. Yet you call "bs" on my opinion, to the origional poster. Priceless.

I've seen fresh caught coyotes fight 1-dog. I've seen them fight a pack of dogs. As stated above. If a fresh caught coyote is caught by a part of his body, where he can't fight back. Then a dog stands a good chance one on one, or to kill that coyote. Provided he doesn't lose his hold.

But, if that same dog grabs ahold of a fresh coyote. Other than the perfect hold[throat for example], ect. Then that dog will get his rump handed to him, very quickly.

I dont think you understand the single point that Im trying to get across. Size of the dogs and the number of dogs DOES matter. In example, three american bulldogs would tear up a coyote, but on the other hand a single Shih-Tsu doesnt stand a chance. (This logic may be completely wrong, but I dont see how /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif. Please explain why you think the size and/or number of dogs doesnt help prevent coyote attacks)

Making this statement false

Quote:
Size, of a dog or a couple of dogs. Does not determine they area safe from a coyote attack.

Well bigbronco, answer my questions. You called "bs" on my opinion. So I want to know, what "you know" as fact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

BTW, I understand you clearly. Now answer my questions, as to your knowledge & experiences on this topic.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well bigbronco, answer my questions. You called "bs" on my opinion.

My opinion is that the size and number of dogs do matter. Apparently this is a false statement, but I do not see how.

Quote:
So I want to know, what "you know" as fact.

My grandmothers dogs can and will intimidate and chase coyotes away due to their size and numbers.[note this is not a single occurrence. This happens on a regular basis (every month or 2)]

Here's what it is, bigbronco.

"No one" can say for a 100% FACT "if or when". A coyote, pr of coyotes OR a family group of coyotes. Decides to attack A dog, or a pr of dogs, or more than 3 dogs. Regardless of the dogs size. No one.

Because If a person "claims" different. Then they would have to know, that exact coyote's mind.

I'm done now, adios.

Last edited:
Quote:
A better way to word my question would be: What are the chances they will be brave enough to approach the house to get at my dogs considering the fact that they have plenty to eat and get greeted with a spotlight and gun when they get too close.

i would think that you would want to deter the problem now, before the yotes get used to being close. your original Q stated the yotes were getting braver. how much braver do you want them to get? brave enough to actually come up to the house and kill your dogs? dont give them a chance.
my 2 cents worth

Quote:
A coyote hunt;

One of our trailhounds, was put on a fresh Red track going into a large timber patch. Out the other side, came 1-very large coyote.

Coyote headed NorEast towards our friend Larry. Larry, had a lone large male Greyhound[Jack]. Jack was 85lbs +/- & all kick butt.

Larry turned out Jack alone on this coyote[which happened to be a [47lb female]. Jack caught her, they fought hard. Eventually the coyote commenced to kick Jack's butt.

Jack broke off the fight & ran towards his owner's truck. Well, this coyote wasn't done with Jack. So she ran Jack down, two different times before he reached the truck. That coyote kicked his rump good.

Coyote loped on, around 1/2 mile further. We were sitting on the gravel & dumped a handfull of coyote Greyhounds.
Only 1-dog seen the coyote on the hills. That happened to be the toughest in the group. A large Alaskian Malamute/Greyhound male cross[named whitey]. Whitey was as large as Jack & tough as nails.

Whitey tackled the coyote down in a weeded creek bed. All the other dogs never seen them. One on one, whitey & that coyote fought hard. Face to face, the whole time.
Eventually, whitey had enough butt kicking & let her go.

Female coyote, kicked two tough dog's carcass. After loping & running near a mile. They are tough critters. Et when determined, are a terror on a dog.

Kirby,
To me your story reads as if two different dogs fought this coyote, both gave up the fight and the coyote ended up walking/running off into the sunset..

If that is the case, how do you know the coyote was female and how do you know it weighed 47 pounds? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

doggin coyotes,

Dad's trailhound[pokey], ran that coyote's track into the next section. After the coyote finished with the last greyhound. She was beat & walked slowly deeper into the section. Dad gave me the go ahead to run/trot her track, with my 12ga.

I did so, for another 1/2 mile. Coyote maintained out of shotgun range the whole time, but was visible to me the whole way. Eventually here come pokey, running right past me & towards the visible coyote. Pokey bayed & fought her as she was against a barbed fence. When I had an open moment, between the fighting. I killed her.

She was a brute in size & stature. Largest female coyote I've ever seen. I weighed her on a grain scale. At a feed mill, where my oldest Bro worked.

Dad, thought that coyote had domestic dog in her bloodline. Who knows? As she strongly resembled a NorWegian Elkhound in coloration & build.

"She was a brute in size & stature. Largest female coyote I've ever seen. I weighed her on a grain scale. At a feed mill, where my oldest Bro worked."

So you are not going to tell us what it weighed? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Jack

Quote:
Larry turned out Jack alone on this coyote[which happened to be a [47lb female]. Jack caught her, they fought hard. Eventually the coyote commenced to kick Jack's butt.

Too many "lost dog" signs on the message boards & telaphone poles around here,I keep our dogs close. Seems the coyotes are always trying to lure them into the brush.

my boss owns a 2000 acre cattle farm north of lake panasoffkee, where especially this year has a bad coyote problem that myself and afew friends are addressing.talking to neighboring small acre owners they all have had some of their dogs dissappear or get killed so from my small survey i would say your pets are in danger...some of the neighbors shoot shotguns at the coyotes but they learn quick and stay out of range. their shots will alert me to be on the lookout for the coyotes as they travel through the ranch at certain crossing points where i set up and wait.trying to scare them really doesnt work,coyotes are here and not going away.the only relief my bosses cows get(coyotes love to attack cows calving grisly sight) is if we kill enough to ease their attacks...i do believre a donkey will help some

In answer to Your question, Yes coyotes are a danger to Your dogs. Your best bet would be to start dispatching these coyotes. i hope this helps

yes,here in Nebraska Coyotes are not inclined to go mono a mono with the local yard dog. But coyotes have a tremendous ability to cooperate with other coyotes, takes a pretty tough yard dog to take on two or more healthy coyotes.

Quote:
A better way to word my question would be: What are the chances they will be brave enough to approach the house to get at my dogs considering the fact that they have plenty to eat and get greeted with a spotlight and gun when they get too close.

Do you watch every single second when your dogs are out?

Back