Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1207609 - 02/08/09 09:49 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: kirby]
Jack Roberts Offline
Former Admin/moderator - deceased

Loc: Elko, NV formerly MD
"She was a brute in size & stature. Largest female coyote I've ever seen. I weighed her on a grain scale. At a feed mill, where my oldest Bro worked."

So you are not going to tell us what it weighed?

Jack

#1207610 - 02/08/09 10:17 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: Jack Roberts]
bigbronco Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Central Texas
Quote:

Larry turned out Jack alone on this coyote[which happened to be a [47lb female]. Jack caught her, they fought hard. Eventually the coyote commenced to kick Jack's butt.

#1207611 - 02/08/09 10:30 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: kirby]
masshunter Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: western mass
Too many "lost dog" signs on the message boards & telaphone poles around here,I keep our dogs close. Seems the coyotes are always trying to lure them into the brush.

#1207612 - 02/09/09 10:52 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: masshunter]
bulldog73 Offline

Loc: pittsburgh ,pa
i wish coyote would lure my dog away there would be some dead coyotes!

#1207613 - 02/10/09 10:19 AM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: bulldog73]
41cal Offline

Loc: ocala,fl
my boss owns a 2000 acre cattle farm north of lake panasoffkee, where especially this year has a bad coyote problem that myself and afew friends are addressing.talking to neighboring small acre owners they all have had some of their dogs dissappear or get killed so from my small survey i would say your pets are in danger...some of the neighbors shoot shotguns at the coyotes but they learn quick and stay out of range. their shots will alert me to be on the lookout for the coyotes as they travel through the ranch at certain crossing points where i set up and wait.trying to scare them really doesnt work,coyotes are here and not going away.the only relief my bosses cows get(coyotes love to attack cows calving grisly sight) is if we kill enough to ease their attacks...i do believre a donkey will help some

#1207614 - 02/10/09 12:39 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: 41cal]
Gray_Ghosts Offline
Predator Master

Loc: N E, Wyoming
In answer to Your question, Yes coyotes are a danger to Your dogs. Your best bet would be to start dispatching these coyotes. i hope this helps

#1207615 - 02/10/09 04:28 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: Gray_Ghosts]
dukhunt1 Offline

Loc: nebraska
yes,here in Nebraska Coyotes are not inclined to go mono a mono with the local yard dog. But coyotes have a tremendous ability to cooperate with other coyotes, takes a pretty tough yard dog to take on two or more healthy coyotes.

#1207616 - 02/11/09 09:14 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: dukhunt1]
skeet987 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Mason Co. West Virginia

#1207617 - 02/12/09 01:11 AM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: skeet987]
sweatybetty Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: sw orygun
those are some COOL pics! thanks

#1207618 - 02/12/09 11:09 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: Zorak1911]
Killin_Carp Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Upstate NY
Quote:

A better way to word my question would be: What are the chances they will be brave enough to approach the house to get at my dogs considering the fact that they have plenty to eat and get greeted with a spotlight and gun when they get too close.

Do you watch every single second when your dogs are out?

#1207619 - 02/12/09 11:25 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: skeet987]
Killin_Carp Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Upstate NY
Nice find Skeet!!! Those pics are cool!

#1207620 - 02/19/09 03:02 AM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: Killin_Carp]
jordanfax Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: CO
I would do what is necessary to get rid of them before finding out. It totally depends on the situation on any given night (or day) and you can never predict that. I am brand new to hunting, but not to seeing what wildlife can do to domestics. Comparing what happens between a given dog (or dogs) against a single coyote or two when it is not a "planned kill" is apples and oranges when it comes to a pack of coyotes who have figured out the territory and decide it is time to get rid of what they might decide are competing predator or just a pain in their tail.

I went through a similar thing after my VERY large Maine Coon cat was killed by a fox. I hadn't found this site yet and was doing internet searches trying to find info about cat-killing foxes and how to get rid of them. Instead of finding what I needed, I found people saying how foxes wouldn't bother a large cat because it would be too much for them to deal with (claws, teeth, and size), and how they had watched their cats chase off foxes, or even share food. After looking further, I found that many of these people were in England, and the situation is much different over there. The foxes are so spoiled off of eating garbage and so on that they just don't attack cats much, if at all.

My cat got out of the house one night, and that is all it took. After learning more, I think that the pair was teaching the pups how to hunt (my husband walked up on one that did not want to stop feeding, and saw two others hanging back a bit). After killing four foxes since then, none weighed near as much as that cat (~10 lbs versus 20 lbs for the cat, it didn't matter)

On the coyote side of things, it depends on location, the pack situation, the time of year (if they are raising young ones), how desperate they are, etc. Your dogs could be fine for 364 days a year, and them boom, they are gone. We have heard of several large dogs being lured away and never see again during mating season. We see many "lost dog" signs posted during that time of year.

JMHO, good luck!

#1207621 - 02/19/09 03:45 AM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: jordanfax]
jordanfax Offline
Seasoned Member

P.S. Those wonderful pictures were taken in Colorado, not far from where a boy trying to snowboard one day was attacked by a lone coyote.

There have been so many issues with attacks in Greenwood Village (a VERY upper scale are near the Denver Tech Center), that they are contracting someone to come in and shoot. I am curious about how he will hunt in such a close area, but even moreso, how can I get a chance!

#1207622 - 02/19/09 01:45 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: jordanfax]
bulldog73 Offline

Loc: pittsburgh ,pa
i'll put my two american bulldogs vs a pack of yote's any day.you just need the right dogs to keep yotes away from from house.

#1207623 - 02/20/09 12:01 AM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: bulldog73]
jordanfax Offline
Seasoned Member

Your dogs may very well be fine, but in answering the OPs question, we don't know if his dogs are quite like yours. It doesn't sound like his dogs were raised to "know" about coyotes, while I gather yours were, or just have the right breeding and temperment to be "coyote-wise". If I was in his position, I would try to get rid of them.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.