Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1207594 - 02/04/09 07:42 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: bigbronco]
Zorak1911 Offline

Loc: Central Florida
You both have valid points I didn't mean to start a big debate. We actually bought a donkey to watch over our goats and horses when our great pyrenees died from a tumor. We used to have a really bad wild dog problem some years back so we bought Sampson a male great pyrenees. He almost instantly bonded with our goats and would rather spend time with them than at the house with us. Every so often we would hear dogs fighting at the barn and run out with the guns. Not to protect Sampson from the wild dog(s) but rather to put them out of their misery. He was one tough dude and I miss him. I'd put money on him against several coyotes. Aside from that I wouldn't want any of my dogs to ever have to tangle with coyotes. I believe every word you say about how tough they are.

#1207595 - 02/04/09 09:21 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: Zorak1911]
lgc22 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I have seen one dog kill a coyote in no more than 5 seconds. But I agree with the danger that a pack of coyotes represents to a smaller number of dogs of any size.

In my early teens relatives had a farm with 800 sheep. One summer I lived with them, they had two rented coyote dogs, one huge male greyhound/somethingbig cross, and one purebred female greyhound. She was the catcher; he was the killer. They hunted by sight so you had to show them a coyote to make it work.

Only once I saw the whole chase. A coyote can run, but greyhounds can fly low. The female seemed to gain every stride until she caught up to the coyote and bit at his hind end. He stopped running and turned to fight her, and about 3 seconds later the big male caught up to the fight, and hit it just like a linebacker at full speed. The male and the coyote rolled over a few times in the dust, and when that huge dog stood up, he had the coyote by the head and was shaking it. It was already limp and dead. At 14, I was impressed.

More recently I have had friends who lost both their Shepherd/labtype crosses (both at least 65 lbs) in one night after a pack invaded the farm yard. It was over before the husband woke up, got his pants on and out into the yard.

We called a lot, baited, and just played sniper in the evening in that area all that winter.

#1207596 - 02/05/09 07:55 AM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: lgc22]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Loc: nowheresville
bigbronco,

You freely slung out the abreviation "bs". On what I previously stated. I find that amusing. I've seen this before on here, If I recall correctly LOL!

Then further you state....
"I have already stated what I know on the matter which I would not distinguish as "much"."

I would like to hear what YOU do know on this matter, or a simmilar scenario. What is this "bs" slang based on? Explain further.
---------------------------

Who among us can state [without a doubt]... ie; "NEVER". An Alpha pr of coyotes or a family group. Would "NEVER", attack a pr or a small group of dogs.

Yet you won't recant your tossing out the term "bs". As a matter of fact in your opinion. Why else would you state that? Hmmmmm?

I look forward to reading of your knowledge & experience on this scenario.

#1207597 - 02/05/09 08:06 AM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: kirby]
deputysam Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oklahoma
"bs" is a bastardized, farmer/cowboy term often misused and therefore often misunderstood, "bs" refers more formally to what is used as FERTILIZER to make our crops grow bigger and better.

"bs" is also sometimes used by those who are not personally acquainted with the actual material as well as the slang term. Used in that manner, it's likely to get somebody's little butt whipped real good if in "mixed company".

As a Graduate of the Oklahoma STATE UNIVERSITY, I am proud to identify myself as one who knows from both ends of the horses mouth what the material is that proceeds from the south bound end of a north bound steer. I usually just 'step in it' but sometime's I burn in my camp fire if it is goodn' dry!

When I graduated from OSU they still called it a Cow College. Now that T. Boone Pickens donated so much cash to the school, there is no telling but they might name the whole place not just the Stadium for him! MONEY TALKS,[beeep] WALKS!

Sam H. Asbury, III
CLEET #08 PIA 2782
Survivor of MAT 88, MACV Team 37, formerly of Ap Phu Long, Central South Vietnam, closest US Base LZ Betty. Graduate of US Army Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, KS and retired from Pinal County Sheriff's Office, Arizona.

#1207598 - 02/05/09 08:18 AM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: kirby]
kirby Offline
PM senior

A coyote hunt;

One of our trailhounds, was put on a fresh Red track going into a large timber patch. Out the other side, came 1-very large coyote.

Coyote headed NorEast towards our friend Larry. Larry, had a lone large male Greyhound[Jack]. Jack was 85lbs +/- & all kick butt.

Larry turned out Jack alone on this coyote[which happened to be a [47lb female]. Jack caught her, they fought hard. Eventually the coyote commenced to kick Jack's butt.

Jack broke off the fight & ran towards his owner's truck. Well, this coyote wasn't done with Jack. So she ran Jack down, two different times before he reached the truck. That coyote kicked his rump good.

Coyote loped on, around 1/2 mile further. We were sitting on the gravel & dumped a handfull of coyote Greyhounds.
Only 1-dog seen the coyote on the hills. That happened to be the toughest in the group. A large Alaskian Malamute/Greyhound male cross[named whitey]. Whitey was as large as Jack & tough as nails.

Whitey tackled the coyote down in a weeded creek bed. All the other dogs never seen them. One on one, whitey & that coyote fought hard. Face to face, the whole time.
Eventually, whitey had enough butt kicking & let her go.

Female coyote, kicked two tough dog's carcass. After loping & running near a mile. They are tough critters. Et when determined, are a terror on a dog.

Other than a dog grabbing a coyote on a body part. Where the coyote can't use it's fangs. Any dog will pay dearly for their effort.

Edited by kirby (02/05/09 08:20 AM)

#1207599 - 02/05/09 12:51 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: kirby]
bulldog73 Offline

Loc: pittsburgh ,pa
you guy's are talking about nonfighting and nonguardian breeds of dogs elk hound,golden,gsd,i can see them not fighting back!i own an 100lbs american bulldog that we use to caught hogs and kill anything that he can get a hold of.we used him once with coyote hounds we had a large male yote bayed up in a large blowdown we let him loose and he kill that yote in less then a min crushed his skull one bite.i now a lot of people who use bulldogs,pitbulls with there coyote hounds for kill dogs one on one?a little history an american bulldog was used on homesteads 100 yrs ago to fight and kill alpha wild dogs would run in attack and kill even if the whole was on top of him. your talking about family dogs that never even growled before there is breeds out there that can and will kill a coyote one on one or two?

#1207600 - 02/05/09 03:19 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: kirby]
bigbronco Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Central Texas
here is your simple scenario.

Quote:

My grandmother has had 2 german shepherds and a red heeler on her ranch for quite a while now and typically if a coyote is seen by any of her dogs its gets ran off, especially if it is caught trespassing by the alpha german shepherd.

All Im trying to say to you is that the size and number of dogs DOES matter.

#1207601 - 02/05/09 05:14 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: bigbronco]
kirby Offline
PM senior

So you are basing your sole opinion on your Grandmother's dogs. Although, you have no other 1st hand experience/knowledge. When talking about what a coyote or a pr of coyotes. Or even what a family group of coyotes would or wouldn't do? If you did, then surely you would've shared such knowledge & or experiences in this discussion. Correct?

You base your sole view point, on that fact your Grandmother's dogs were never attacked by coyotes. Seems to be a narrow viewpoint. Yet you call "bs" on my opinion, to the origional poster. Priceless.

I've seen fresh caught coyotes fight 1-dog. I've seen them fight a pack of dogs. As stated above. If a fresh caught coyote is caught by a part of his body, where he can't fight back. Then a dog stands a good chance one on one, or to kill that coyote. Provided he doesn't lose his hold.

But, if that same dog grabs ahold of a fresh coyote. Other than the perfect hold[throat for example], ect. Then that dog will get his rump handed to him, very quickly.

#1207602 - 02/05/09 06:12 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: kirby]
bigbronco Offline
Seasoned Member

I dont think you understand the single point that Im trying to get across. Size of the dogs and the number of dogs DOES matter. In example, three american bulldogs would tear up a coyote, but on the other hand a single Shih-Tsu doesnt stand a chance. (This logic may be completely wrong, but I dont see how . Please explain why you think the size and/or number of dogs doesnt help prevent coyote attacks)

Making this statement false

Quote:

Size, of a dog or a couple of dogs. Does not determine they area safe from a coyote attack.

#1207603 - 02/05/09 07:04 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: bigbronco]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Well bigbronco, answer my questions. You called "bs" on my opinion. So I want to know, what "you know" as fact.

BTW, I understand you clearly. Now answer my questions, as to your knowledge & experiences on this topic.

Edited by kirby (02/05/09 07:06 PM)

#1207604 - 02/05/09 07:20 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: kirby]
bigbronco Offline
Seasoned Member

Quote:

Well bigbronco, answer my questions. You called "bs" on my opinion.

My opinion is that the size and number of dogs do matter. Apparently this is a false statement, but I do not see how.

Quote:

So I want to know, what "you know" as fact.

My grandmothers dogs can and will intimidate and chase coyotes away due to their size and numbers.[note this is not a single occurrence. This happens on a regular basis (every month or 2)]

#1207605 - 02/05/09 07:34 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: bigbronco]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Here's what it is, bigbronco.

"No one" can say for a 100% FACT "if or when". A coyote, pr of coyotes OR a family group of coyotes. Decides to attack A dog, or a pr of dogs, or more than 3 dogs. Regardless of the dogs size. No one.

Because If a person "claims" different. Then they would have to know, that exact coyote's mind.

I'm done now, adios.

Edited by kirby (02/05/09 07:35 PM)

#1207606 - 02/07/09 05:03 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: Zorak1911]
sweatybetty Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: sw orygun
Quote:

A better way to word my question would be: What are the chances they will be brave enough to approach the house to get at my dogs considering the fact that they have plenty to eat and get greeted with a spotlight and gun when they get too close.

i would think that you would want to deter the problem now, before the yotes get used to being close. your original Q stated the yotes were getting braver. how much braver do you want them to get? brave enough to actually come up to the house and kill your dogs? dont give them a chance.
my 2 cents worth

#1207607 - 02/07/09 11:14 PM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: kirby]
doggin coyotes Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Colorado
Quote:

A coyote hunt;

One of our trailhounds, was put on a fresh Red track going into a large timber patch. Out the other side, came 1-very large coyote.

Coyote headed NorEast towards our friend Larry. Larry, had a lone large male Greyhound[Jack]. Jack was 85lbs +/- & all kick butt.

Larry turned out Jack alone on this coyote[which happened to be a [47lb female]. Jack caught her, they fought hard. Eventually the coyote commenced to kick Jack's butt.

Jack broke off the fight & ran towards his owner's truck. Well, this coyote wasn't done with Jack. So she ran Jack down, two different times before he reached the truck. That coyote kicked his rump good.

Coyote loped on, around 1/2 mile further. We were sitting on the gravel & dumped a handfull of coyote Greyhounds.
Only 1-dog seen the coyote on the hills. That happened to be the toughest in the group. A large Alaskian Malamute/Greyhound male cross[named whitey]. Whitey was as large as Jack & tough as nails.

Whitey tackled the coyote down in a weeded creek bed. All the other dogs never seen them. One on one, whitey & that coyote fought hard. Face to face, the whole time.
Eventually, whitey had enough butt kicking & let her go.

Female coyote, kicked two tough dog's carcass. After loping & running near a mile. They are tough critters. Et when determined, are a terror on a dog.

Kirby,
To me your story reads as if two different dogs fought this coyote, both gave up the fight and the coyote ended up walking/running off into the sunset..

If that is the case, how do you know the coyote was female and how do you know it weighed 47 pounds?

#1207608 - 02/08/09 09:27 AM Re: Are coyotes a danger to my dogs? [Re: doggin coyotes]
kirby Offline
PM senior

doggin coyotes,

Dad's trailhound[pokey], ran that coyote's track into the next section. After the coyote finished with the last greyhound. She was beat & walked slowly deeper into the section. Dad gave me the go ahead to run/trot her track, with my 12ga.

I did so, for another 1/2 mile. Coyote maintained out of shotgun range the whole time, but was visible to me the whole way. Eventually here come pokey, running right past me & towards the visible coyote. Pokey bayed & fought her as she was against a barbed fence. When I had an open moment, between the fighting. I killed her.

She was a brute in size & stature. Largest female coyote I've ever seen. I weighed her on a grain scale. At a feed mill, where my oldest Bro worked.

Dad, thought that coyote had domestic dog in her bloodline. Who knows? As she strongly resembled a NorWegian Elkhound in coloration & build.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.