bipods vs shooting sticks

I actually shoot both depending on which rifle I have out. Both work equally well. Here's my 527 on a set of sitdown bipods.

CZ527-204-2.jpg

Heres two pair of shooting sticks I made from directions found here on the forum. Cost was about three bucks each.

Davesrifles-60.jpg

They are made from a piece of tubing, two dowels and a few brads and a couple of deck screws for the bottom of the legs if you want solid footing.

Just cut a notch out of the Rubber tubing.

Shootingrelated-068.jpg

Slip over the ends of two 36 inch dowel's.

Shootingrelated-065.jpg

Tack in place with a couple of short brads.

Shootingrelated-074.jpg

I put a deck screw in the bottom of each to give better traction.

Shootingrelated-056.jpg

spray paint to camo them and protect the wood a little and your ready to go.

I use both. I keep a 9"-13" on my varmint rifles for prone shooting and a set of Stoney Point sticks for sitting and kneeling shots. Best of both worlds. My predator rigs never see prone action; standing, sitting, or kneeling only.

IDBob, I like those sticks you made. Do they not fold up all the way? I made some out of square dowels with rubber O-rings to hold them together. I'm gonna use that screw idea of yours.

I have sticks, havn't found a bipod that is long enough to sit and shoot on the side of a hill. I like those shooting sticks. Do u add any kind of screw or anything at there pivot point to hold them together.

I like a monopod better than bipods or sticks because they are easier to move when you need to for a shot. I use the Stoney Pointe Crusader that adjusts from about 2 ft. to 4 ft and has a fork on top. Saturday morning I left it in the truck and picked up a stick with a fork on one end and shot a coyote at 205 yards using it.

I use both sticks and bipod. The bipod is for longer shots that require prone shooting to be solid. The sticks are for the closer shots.

I prefer a pair of sticks instead of the monopod just because feel I have more freedom to us my mouth calls and switch back and forth to between howler and calls.

I tried a pair of shooting sticks with screws in the bases and found a number of places where they gave me fits. It was usually on ground that was frozen or rocky. I cut the screws to have sharp points to stick in the ground and found that those were not that dependable either in the areas I hunt. The sticks were noisier when trying to move for a shot when necessary. I think dowels are better, especially if coated, but I would likely put rubber feet on them.

Also, a lot of my calling is from higher ground, overlooking draws and valleys for better visibility of animals coming in. If the ground below me was too steep, I had to move to a spot that I didn't like as well because my sticks would not adjust to the extent I wanted.

I finally broke down and got some Stoney Point adjustable shooting sticks. Nothing is perfect, but I prefer the sticks I bought.

Predator Sniper Styx... they are taller than a bipod so you can shoot on a side of a hill yet are rock solid for the longer range shots

i have always thought the point is
if you hunt flat land exclusively
use bipod
suggest harris
if you hunt hills and or mountains
use styx
suggest predator or homemade
further suggest... homemade styx...they are not attached to gun and are easily forgotten when things get western

sidebar:
unless you are les johnson
he uses bipod in hills but he is relatively medium in stature can contort and is in incredible physical shape
(coulda been a rock climber in my opinion)
if you are less or worse...more...use sticks in hills and mnts

guero

For hunting, I carry sticks. I probably shoot from sitting or off-hand positions more than off the sticks, but the sticks are handy if needed.

I use the stoney point pole cats best of both worlds they will attach to you gun when in use and pull off for carry. The nice thing they have lots of adjustment easy too swing with and the whole nine yards. best thing since slice cheese. The other neat thing is you can put the adapter on several guns and use the same sticks with all you rifles if you want to. They can be set up to shoot several different angles by just pulling the sticks apart and push together for higher shoots. Give them a look and i think you will really like them i dint think i would at first but after useing them i will not be with out them now.

I use a Harris Bipod and love it! Fully adjustable and always attached. Had to drag a 38 pund male about a half mile the other day with a shotgun on one shoulder and my AR on the other and would've hated having to add shooting sticks to things I had to carry.

I use sticks made just like the ones IDBob shows above. The only difference is I cut a longer center section out of the hose to give me a wider/loser cradle. This allows me to pivot my gun more without binding on the sticks. They work great. I have two pair one set with the screws for the prarie and another pair with rubber plugs on the bottom for rocks. A little tip for guys that decide to make these sticks - Use the Krylon paint made to paint on plastic as a primer coat on the hose. Then use what ever color you want over it. This really helped keep the paint on the hose without cracking off.

IDBOB, What bipod is that you use and how long are the legs. I put one on my gun but I am fairly tall at it does not work well. I just use to keep my gun of the ground next to me. tks

I prefer shooting sticks. I made mine out of salvaged tent poles. I left a joint in each leg so that I can break them down and put them in a pack for back-country big game hunting. I just used a slice out of a bicycle inner tube like a rubber band for the pivot point. They are easily adjustable for height but still steady. I also use mine to carry my coyotes. I tie the coyotes legs together and then feed the shooting sticks through. Then I can carry the coyote like a suitcase so that I don't have to drag it through the brush, etc.

Knapper

Back