Butch's Bore Shine

dooger
I have no experience with butch's bore shine, but for copper, nothing works better for me than "wipe out". Its a foaming bore cleaner. I have tried many solvents, and this worked the best for me by far. Hope this helps.

I use it and it seems to work good, but you really need to use it where you have some fresh air. It's one of the more Stinky bore cleaners I've used.

For copper, I vote for Wipe Out, and Accelator. It does a good job of removing copper, and you don't have to wear out your bbl with a brush. I recently ordered their other product (name escapes me) that is a foam carbon and fouling remover. I'm amazed at what a good job that stuff does too. When the fouling and copper is really bad, I've let Wipe Out sit in the bbl for days (usually going in several times a day and applying). I've used about every cleaner and solvent out there, but for now I'm sold on Wipe Out products.

I too like wipeout. But there is also product called Montana Copper Clean that works GREAT! You want to do it it a ventilated area unless you don't mind burning your nose hairs out. They also make Montana Extreme I haven't used but I'm sure works as well.

Quote:
I too like wipeout. But there is also product called Montana Copper Clean that works GREAT! You want to do it it a ventilated area unless you don't mind burning your nose hairs out. They also make Montana Extreme I haven't used but I'm sure works as well.

I "used" to use Butch's. But on a suggestion from one of the BR shooters at the club, I bought and tried some Montana Extreme and I can tell you from comparison that there is a VAST difference in their copper-removing abilities. Montana Extreme will get the copper out that Butch's leaves behind. I've cleaned rifles with Butch's until they appeared clean, and then cleaned them with Montana just to test the difference....and got lots more blue patches out of the barrels. Just my experience.

Barrels differ in fouling so your mileage may vary. Butches works fine in my low fouling barrel that get wiped about every 25 rounds.

I really like butch's, but my favorite is still Hoppe's No. 9 solvent.

It sounds crazy, but I like that It leaves copper in the bore. One thing I hate doing is gettin a bore completely clean and then having to suffer through the fouling shots. Id rather just swab a barrel when its dirty, leave it set till I shoot it next time, dry patch it, then go. This way, I rarely shift my POI, which makes more sense to me.

As far as getting down to the bare bore on a new to me used gun, I like the butch's/kroil combo.

In my opinion, Wipeout is far superior to Butch's Bore Shine for copper removal. As mentioned above, Butch's works fine for lighter jobs, but Wipeout does such a great job and simple to use; its my choice!

Montana Extreme has several products that are VERY effective.

The Standard Montana Extreme is an oil based product, let it sit over night and most of all the crud is easily pushed out.

If you can't wait over night, then the Montana Extreme 50 BMG or Copper KIller is second to none to taking out copper in a hurry. IN the worst of barrels, it has only taken two applications.

If you have a shore nuff copper pig, then Monatana Extreme makes a "Copper cream" when used with their plastic brushes takes the bore down to bare metal in a hurry.

The montana Extreme products are oil based.

I brush with a good bronze bristle brush (throw away after 80 strokes) with the regular Montana Extreme, then will use the Montana Extreme plastic brushes to use their "Copper Killer". The copper cream I save for old military rifles, or neighbors/friends that have rifles that have not been cleaned in forever. If you have a really rough bore that is a copper mine, then the Copper cream is for you.

Use these products and you will give that messy Wipe out to someone that you don't like!!! I gave 4 cans of it away.
Wipe is based on a chemical reaction, and the warm air temp is the accelerator. What do you do when it COLD? Answer: you let it sit for days and re-apply.

You need to have good brushes to get out stubborn carbon fouling, and you need a very mild Polish to get out extra accumulations in guns that have been neglected for years.

All you guys that are using Wipe out and the accelerator, could swith to the Regular Montana Extreme and have the same thing...only less messy. Also, anytime that you use a product that has to sit over night, over time, the liquid settles in the bottom of the barrel. ON the next night's soaking, you need to turn the gun upside down, to let the top of the barrel soak.

I try all the solvents that I can get my hands on. Recently I tried a water based solvent KG12. I pushed 5 wet patches throught the barrel with the KG12. On then next day, I found something very wierd. Where the copper streaks were in the barrel, there was a dry yellow substance. As I pushed a patch through the barrel, I could a dam of this yellow caking pile up in front of the patch.
When the patch fell out of the yellow Cake was all over the patch. I have yet to perfect the method with the kg 12. The kg-12 is odorless, water base, and must be followed with an oil on chrome moly barrels. My gut feeling is very positive that this product is going to be something very special.

I upgraded to Butch's, but as mentioned above it does leave a little. I recently used RB-17 gel on a "sparkling clean" rifle i had cleaned with Butchs and was surprised at what came out. It works fine though. I was a hoppes guy until i tried this. It spun cirles arond hoppes.

I've used Bore Tech Eliminator, with so-so results. Not as good as the new Wipe Out product for carbon. I use the liquid Wipe Out, not the foam. I agree the foam isn't worth the trouble to use (and waste), but the liquid is much more user friendly.
I have used Montana Extreme, Montana 50 BGM, and the Montana Copper Creme...........I'll take Wipe Out.

I break in my barrels with "shooters choice" and use it mixed half and half with Kroil for getting the carbon out.
If carbon is'nt much of a issue then i use Montana Extreme and maybe come back in a day or so and use shooters chioce with Kroil.
I shoot mostly 17 cal.s and the big issue with them is carbon, it dose'nt affect accuracy much but i feel better if the barrel is spotless.

as far as actual solvents, i use shooters choice too. Except on my .22lr which gets the old hoppes! [beeep] i love the smell of hoppes no9, wish my wife would use it for perfume!!!

I've gone full circle a couple of times with cleaning solvents and have settled on Butches, Kroil, and Sweets when I think it's needed (and it usually is)..
Honestly,, with the technology nowdays,,, it's probably all pretty good.. At the same time,, there's no magic elixors either (IMO)... I've cleaned a barrel with WipeOut and got copper out of the same barrel with X,Y,Z. And vice-versa..

Like Turtle,,, I like WipeOut when I'm in a hurry, or in a Motel when shooting Gophers. I find it works best if left overnight..
Here's a little trick to combat the mess from WipeOut, which is one of the things I don't like about it. With my 17cals it seems like you can't get your finger off of the button fast enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

noname044.jpg

A piece of 1/4id-3/8od plastic tubing from just about anyhardware store fit's perfectly in all 222based chambers and the W.O. can's nozzel fits snug in the other end. The fit in the chamber is so good that a little oil is needed.
You can also put a pop or water bottle over the muzzle to catch the excess.
Just leave it with the muzzle tipped slightly downward untill morning and patch it out...

Hey that's a good tip Repete! I usually use the Montana products and they are extremely effective. However, when we go prairie doggin', we usually go out in ATV's and shoot for a few hours until everything's dirty then come back to camp and clean rifles. I think that Wipeout trick there would be pretty convenient for a quicker clean. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back