hornady 50gr. spsx .223

bluealtered

I guess the question is, has anybody tryed these, and are they as explosive as claimed? I,m finding that starting to reload again is fun again, but then all addictions are probably fun when you start. blue

Just don't shoot them in a 9 twist or faster. They will not reach the target. I think they are one of the better 222, 223 bullets out there.

Quote:
I guess the question is, has anybody tryed these, and are they as explosive as claimed? I'm finding that starting to reload again is fun again, but then all addictions are probably fun when you start. blue

I have shot thousands and they are very explosive and very accurate.

In a fast twist, they will fly apart before getting to the target.

I loaded these in a 788 rem. 223 back in the late 80s for prairie dogs. I loaded IMR 4198 the load was 1/2 Gr. over max for the book I had and they shot 3/4" and under, this old gun had 2 small spots in the barrel that I couldnt get out, possibly rust pits? The first year I took this gun out PDing we were sitting on a low hill shooting at dogs 75-300 Yds there were 3 of us taking turns shooting and spoting for one another I was on a roll and had hit 8 dogs out of 9 shots, on my last 3 shots the other guys said they could see a vapor trail from my bullets on my 10th shot the dog was only about 90 yds away no way I could miss I took the shot and saw the vapor trail in my scope and at about 70 Yds I saw a big puff of smoke the dog jumped around a couple times and jumps in the hole, the other 2 spotters said my bullet blew up. It was about 90 degrees out that day and after you would shoot I would load a round in the chamber and wait my turn to shoot or back up the other shooters If they wounded one, we think that barrel being so hot(heating the chambered round) and these loads loaded at max plus the 2 rough spots in the barrel were combining to cause the bullets to come apart in flight. The next year I loaded them down 1 Gr. and did not put a shell in the chamber till I had a dog spoted and was ready shoot, I have not had anymore problems since.
I have also used these in my 221 fireball and have had no problems, thay are very accurate in my 221 and I have taken 3 coyotes at 100 Yds or less and they worked fine.
If you keep below 3500 fps they should work fine, I wouldnt use them on coyotes at 3100 fps or higher because they may be to explosive and not penatrate deep enought. I hope this helps you out Deathray

Has anyone loaded these down in a 1 in 9 and had any luck? I have a couple of boxes and my 223 won't shoot them even at 3300 fps with out coming apart ! Mark

In a 9" twist, they will have to be traveling at less than 2200fps (IF the barrel is new and very smooth)... these are VERY fragile bullets.

I have some I've loaded for my 1/14 twist barrel, but feared the same effects listed above in my 1/9 twist...

At the range, I've haven't had any problems as long as I keep the velocities down,,,I need to try them in my 1/12 twist to make sure they will stay together in that one as well...without dropping the powder charge..

I have and do shoot the 50 grainers in my 222. Great accuracy and devastating effects on p.d.s.

I also shoot the 55's in a couple of 223's with the same accuracy and explosivesness. I have tried them in AR but as stated with the fast twist more times than not they come apart.

shooter

Great bullets. I use them in every thing up to 223 velocity. I tried them in my 22-250 with no problems at about 3500fps, but the Nosler Ballistic tips were more accurate. The SPSXs really shine in 221 Fireballs, and 222s, IMO.

I shot a lot of p. dogs with them in 14 twists out of a 22 PPC and 223.

I rarely ever had problems with them, and it was usually with a dirty, red hot barrel.

They may not do well with a rough barrel, and I know that they do not do well with a 9 twist, even a custom 9 twist unless you slow the velocity WAY down.

Quote:
I shot a lot of p. dogs with them in 14 twists out of a 22 PPC and 223.

I rarely ever had problems with them, and it was usually with a dirty, red hot barrel.

They may not do well with a rough barrel, and I know that they do not do well with a 9 twist, even a custom 9 twist unless you slow the velocity WAY down.

My longest measured P-dog (853 yds) was with the Hornady SPSX in a 40-XBBR/222 Rem Mag.

... and the dammn bullet expanded!!!

Back