bucket sets

psychowolverine

Anyone do these sets?

I was reading an article in fur fish game magazine and saw this.
It looks pretty interesting using a plain white 5 gallon bucket and a 220 body trap

It works good the first night. Be sure to set at least 4 buckets because after the first night and you don't catch them all, they will be wise to the buckets and not go in them after that.

make sure they are legal. in Pa there is a grey area about them and wheather you can use them depends on who ya talk to.

that being said they are great sets and the square kitty litter buckets work the best.

Zach

here is another option....

coon and cats... work great...

buckcub2.jpg

Quote:

buckcub2.jpg

thats how I do mine, but I cut part of the bucket side out to place the trap inside the bucket, I have found that coon and foxes like to walk on dirt more then plastic and by havin the bucket cut, I can bed the trap like I would a dirt hole and cover it and then place the bucket over it. that way its protected from the elements and will function when the coon hits the pan.

Do ya think grey buckets will work? I have a neighbor thats a painter and can get all the grey buckets I want for nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. I know black buckets works great in the snow.

Quote:
Quote:

buckcub2.jpg

thats how I do mine, but I cut part of the bucket side out to place the trap inside the bucket, I have found that coon and foxes like to walk on dirt more then plastic and by havin the bucket cut, I can bed the trap like I would a dirt hole and cover it and then place the bucket over it. that way its protected from the elements and will function when the coon hits the pan.

Do ya think grey buckets will work? I have a neighbor thats a painter and can get all the grey buckets I want for nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. I know black buckets works great in the snow.

the article I read said they much more prefer the white ones... something about the black or dark buckets attracting skunks or something that views it as a cubby hole

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

and whats wrong with catching skunks???? thats a double profit, you paided for the pelt and the essence is your good enough to get it out without getting it all over you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have got a few with the black buckets so I know they work, I have only caught coons in them, nothing else. so I don't know if anything else checks them out or not.

heres what my current ones looks like, I got the buckets from walmart when I worked there, they are the buckets that the floral department gets their flowers in, when empty they throw them out, the big ones are 16 inches deep which is just perfect for a coon set.

IM000108.jpg

Last edited:
The regs in WV say that a killer type trap must be used in a water set. I have always took that to mean the trap has to be in or under the water. But???? This wording leaves some grey area. I would love to be able to take advantage of bucket sets, it would be a lot easier keeping sets working during high water and ice.

The bucket with a foothold is pretty neat! I will definately be trying that one out. Thanks for the pic and info.

WVM

Quote:

buckcub2.jpg

I set one up like this this weekend...

Nothing yet though... I may move it about 50 yards to the area I think cats cross the rock wall on the backside of my property

Quote:
HPIM0060.jpg

i use 160's with my buckets.here in pa they must be set in a waterway(but the law isn't clear what a waterway is!!)

just the grey area i take advantage of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

i run alot of buckets with 160's on land here in arkansas u can use a 160 on land and i use square buckets . white or yellow ones. they work great on coons and bobcats and opossums and skunks. and sometimes a fox will stick his head in. i wish we could use a 220 on land. thats what i would use.

In kansas we can use a 220 on land and i have used the buckets for many years. I had a bunch of metal buckets until a year ago they got stolen so this year i used plastic buckets. Only problem i have had is the one i did set soon as i set it off it broke the bucket all to pieces. So i didnt set this year. This summer im going to build a bunch of wooden boxes to set in. Conibears are the way to go. And the comment about them being shy to a bucket i have caught coons in the same spot all year round same set same bucket and never had a shy coon problem. Interesting you say that never had a problem at all. Out of all the coons and everything else i have caught in buckets i have never caught a bobcat useing one. Caught several cats in live traps but none in buckets. Another method i have used and done really good with is snares. If there legal there where your at give them a try you can clean house on yotes and cats if you get in the right place. I have also caught several coons with snares as well.

Back