Wolf shot in SD

Quote:
Its real funny how the easterners think we should do things in the west.

Was that in response to my post? If so Im not disagreeing with you "westerners" I have an idea what its like with wolves moving in. Im completely with you guys.

Just thought I might need to clear that up a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Happy Hunting

Quote:
IVC That is the answer to the problem!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

If the so called Conservationists want it there way - they should pay the consequences of their actions, pure and simple. Cougars killing people in California because of lack of fear due to protections? consequences. Lost/injured livestock? Consequences. Public safety as in children being chewed by a coyote? Consequences. So often the answer is 'Well, thats what they(carnivores) do!' Certainly makes our lives and life style a cheap commodity with no recourse doesn't it; when we know the carnivore can be educated to fear man. There is no middle ground on this issue as it stands today, no accountability for the instigators, supporters and politicians; just the impact to those injured. No opology, no 'feeling your pain', just perpetual stone walling.

+1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:

Hey 49 . . .

First you opine that my post didn't deserve a response, then you respond to it. And I said I didn't care if YOU responded...if others care to respond, thats fine too.

I NEVER SAID NOR BLAMED You, nor eastern hunters for our Wolf problems....and its not only the eastern tree hugger/facists alone that has caused this ...look at California. And the wolf issue IS a State Issue...read the 10th Amendment. I made a stretched parallel to Al Quida...and in that same vein, this IS terrorism, these killing wolves forced down our throat and the horrible damage that they do.

I don't have practical experience Working as a street cop in NJ; I got OUTTA there! ... I was in the midwest on the street, but I still have family and friends in NJ. I have a MAJOR problem with NJ police and the philosophy that NJ runs by....and Everything I said is True, and NONE of it "far fetched". If you've been on the bricks many years than you probably don't feel it. One of my closest friends some years ago, [an Episcopal Priest for God's sake (!)] had his door kicked in, rousted out of bed, was beaten to a pulp, stomped, cursed, ridiculed, required hospital treatment and his family [wife and children] all handcuffed and terrorized by a New Jersey State Police "swat team" over an alleged "paper violation" -- The "NJSP swat team" raiders, (black BDU's and no name tags, of course) with MP5 submachineguns, screaming and cursing "Hey, we got us another F---ing gun nut" (the priest was a reloader); even the Local cops were incredulous and couldn't believe it. YES, this happened in the United States of America, not Moscow or Beijing. THAT is the mindset of NJ on guns. The judge in the end finally told the prosecutor to kiss off that enough is enough already. My beef IS w/ the NJ politicians and any cop that plays their tune.

War stories and such is all fine, especially the good belly busting laugh ones, including the numerous "choir practices" after work after swing shift.

Its Supposed to be tough to be a street cop in our country ...its Easy to be a cop in places like Russia.

I don't know if this will play for you ... but paste it and see this little vid of a Russian Cop ... and how its done there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zAcxAXPLZY&feature=related

Must be a training video for NJSP.

THAT is what our country is coming to with the militarization of police here [NJ is the poster-boy example] ...faces covered...no name tags, etc. (Note that the Nazi Gestapo never covered their faces... what are these cops afraid of)??

If it happens ONCE -- its once too often.

I don't know how old you are, but when I was a kid in NJ a parent could say to a young child "see that policeman over on the corner? ... if anything ever happens or you get scared, hes' your friend; go to him".

You can't say that now. Now its the "us vs. them" syndrome with cops. THAT is a terrible and powerful thing. Cops wind up in a psychological situation where their only real friends are Other Cops. I'm sure you've seen that, or are In that situation.

You say: "Plenty of hunters and gun owners in PRNJ who don't like the laws"? -- Yes, I Know that's true.

The Problem is THOSE LAWS; that's all I'm saying, and don't take it personally. I couldn't See you taking it personally UNLESS you were part of "them". If you feel like we do then I don't blame you for straining at the bit to head for Arizona; you'll be able to sleep in peace there (unless you're close to the Mexican border, but thats another story).

I LOVE good cops -- I was Proudly one of them, and that oath I took when I pinned on my tin is Just as applicable to me now as it was then.

No I DON'T have a chip in my shoulder, 49 ... I am educated, I've been around the block a few times, I'm very much an historian, and I SEE what is happening around me in MY Country. Apparently You (maybe?) can live in that cesspool police state and not have it bother you, or at least not very much; and you being a street cop, its not as "personal" to your situation as the average citizen. But even though I'm a million miles away from it, in the freest state in the nation, I still See it; its on the news every day. Its like the popular police jargon nowadays...if you're not a cop, you're a "civilian". (Read: "Us vs. Them").

No, Wrong. You're a "citizen"; a high and holy word.

The one man, dear personal friend (as well as his whole family), (you may never have heard of him) who had more of a mentorship and influence upon me in my adult life than anyone else for 30 years, (and I'm alive because of the training I took under him) was Col. Jeff Cooper (now deceased). (Jeff founded the American Pistol Institute and Gunsite Ranch). He once encapsulated to me: "Cas,: "An Armed man is a citizen --- and Unarmed man is a Subject".

In England, (for example) they are "Subjects" ... and the British mindset does not conflict with that, as mine does, and as our's does.

Now, you've attacked me personally since I first put out a wolf post, never offered your name, told me I have a chip on my shoulder because I call a spade a spade, and because I Know Wolves, what they are, and what they do, know how to hunt them and have done so, and am suffering the damage here in Wyoming that every other rancher and hunter is here, as well as Idaho, Montana. etc.

If you were in OUR boots...and seen what I/many of us have seen, maybe, just maybe it would hit a Core and you could identify a bit more with it.

BTW, you're almost over-gunned w/ your 7mm. Mag. ... I've taken all mine with a .17 Remington and it does just fine. If its over 250 or so, grab a .243 Ackley or 6.5/06 Ackley Imp.

Cas in the High Desert.

Thanks for the post, Cas.

And I don't say that with sarcasm.

You seem like a decent sort after all. Your initial posts were abrasive to an eastern hunter/police officer like myself. If I came off abrasive as well, then I will ask you to excuse my tone.

Believe it or not, after pondering this thread I am starting to agree with you that wolves may not belong in the lower 48 states. This however, is no excuse for breaking the law, as has been indicated by some here. And I don't mean you.

As far as the NJSP swat team incident goes...I never heard of it. I am not saying it didn't happen, just that I never heard of it. There are some bad apples in every bunch unfortunately. There may have been some misguidance there from the county prosecutors or Attorney General. There may have been a lack of leadership on the swat team or the people in charge of it. But I can tell you I personally know many north Jersey SWAT TEAMS unit members, and by far the majority of them are stand up guys. Many of them are hunters like you and I. One incident doesn't make the NJSP Nazis. You have to remember that in a 3000+ member agency you will have all types, from cityfolk down to the country type people. Sure, mistakes have been made, but don't paint NJ cops with a broad brush. By doing so you are doing them as well as law enforcement in general a disservice.

I don't subscribe to the "us vs. them" mentality, Cas. Maybe I did when I was a young buck. But I have long since matured out of that mindset. This mentality is not only inherent to NJ LE. It is all over the country in law enforcement. I find it to be mostly exhibited by the younger cops.

Your are obviously an intelligent man. Though I do think you tend to take things to extremes. It doesn't make you a bad guy though, and we all have our reasons. By now you may have figured out which LE agency in NJ I work for. I take a tremendous amount of pride in what I do professionally and the way I go about doing it. Perhaps this is why I took your posts personally.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on rifle caliber selection.

Stay safe,

Nick

Last edited:
Quote:
Well I am going to go against the grain here and say that it is a shame that this female wolf was killed. Wolves are endangered and we should make every effort to preserve the species.

As it most likely was an honest mistake, I am not saying the hunter should be cited.

But it's a shame that it happened.

Just my 2 cents.

You're definitely going against the grain with that comment. Most likely this guy was just doing the right thing by reporting the incident to authorities, who most likely cited him and he'll now have a criminal record because of it.

Quote:

My thoughts exactly as I read this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

But then again we are a bunch of ignorant uneducated cowboys that like to kill anything and everything at will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Well I am going to go against the grain here and say that it is a shame that this female wolf was killed. Wolves are endangered and we should make every effort to preserve the species.

As it most likely was an honest mistake, I am not saying the hunter should be cited.

Just my 2 cents.

You're definitely going against the grain with that comment. Most likely this guy was just doing the right thing by reporting the incident to authorities, who most likely cited him and he'll now have a criminal record because of it. I would have shot them both and left them where they fell.

Yes, I am going against the grain. It's a shame that it happened, inadvertently or not. I don't subscribe to illegal hunting activities. And I most certainly wouldn't put this out on a public forum for everyone to see.

Quote:

Being a proponent of effective game management and legal hunting is not telling you how you should do things in the "west."

I am here to tell you that wolves are not endangered, not where I live and our elk and deer pop are declining. I think wolves are a great and beautiful predator but when they are not managed they become a problem. They are endangered in states that don't have them but they are very secure.
We just had a meeting about our deer pop by an idiot biologist from MT fish and game. He claims that here in the area I live we have about 32 lions nad a lion kills a deer a week. They haven't got a clue to how many lions we have. Next his little idiotic chart said that lions kill mor deer than wolves do.... 32 lions (lol)kill a deer a week that is 52 X 32 + 1664 deer a year. He also said we have 2 packs of wolves in our area (again I laugh cause we see and hear wolves everywhere which leads me to believe there are lots more) one of those packs is between 12 - 15 wolves and the other between 15 and 20 wolves. I am not a mathmetition but I am sure that each pack kills more than one deer a week.
MT f & W do not like to hear about wolf sightings even though they ask hunters to report sightings.
Oh yea and to show they don't know how to count wolves, they just killed off a pack that was killing cattle west of Kalispell that they said had 5 (FIVE) wolves, they ended up killing 26 (TWENTY SIX) wolves that they had counted as 5 in the pack.... So wolves aren't endangered here anyway but if they don't quit the politics and manage them people here will manage them and then they will go back to endangered or sadly extinct.
They cannot really charge you if they don't have wolves in the state and if there is a possibility of wolves then there should be publicity about how to tell the difference between a wolf and a yote. Most will say anyone can tell the difference, but if you aren't aware of wolves in the area you just think coyote.
SD about 7 yrs ago said there were no lions in the state also but now they have a season on them. Wolves in MN means sooner or later wolves in SD...

Quote:
I am here to tell you that wolves are not endangered, not where I live and our elk and deer pop are declining. I think wolves are a great and beautiful predator but when they are not managed they become a problem. They are endangered in states that don't have them but they are very secure.
We just had a meeting about our deer pop by an idiot biologist from MT fish and game. He claims that here in the area I live we have about 32 lions nad a lion kills a deer a week. They haven't got a clue to how many lions we have. Next his little idiotic chart said that lions kill mor deer than wolves do.... 32 lions (lol)kill a deer a week that is 52 X 32 + 1664 deer a year. He also said we have 2 packs of wolves in our area (again I laugh cause we see and hear wolves everywhere which leads me to believe there are lots more) one of those packs is between 12 - 15 wolves and the other between 15 and 20 wolves. I am not a mathmetition but I am sure that each pack kills more than one deer a week.
MT f & W do not like to hear about wolf sightings even though they ask hunters to report sightings.
Oh yea and to show they don't know how to count wolves, they just killed off a pack that was killing cattle west of Kalispell that they said had 5 (FIVE) wolves, they ended up killing 26 (TWENTY SIX) wolves that they had counted as 5 in the pack.... So wolves aren't endangered here anyway but if they don't quit the politics and manage them people here will manage them and then they will go back to endangered or sadly extinct.
They cannot really charge you if they don't have wolves in the state and if there is a possibility of wolves then there should be publicity about how to tell the difference between a wolf and a yote. Most will say anyone can tell the difference, but if you aren't aware of wolves in the area you just think coyote.
SD about 7 yrs ago said there were no lions in the state also but now they have a season on them. Wolves in MN means sooner or later wolves in SD...

I appreciate the informative post. I fully agree that the wolf situation should be more properly managed.

Them wolves hafta get thru me to populate the entire state though.................... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Funny! I hunted bears up by Ely< MN for 3 years in a row and I saw a few wolves but hmmmm not a single deer. That is a scarey experience....

Quote:
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

Endangered? Yup, so they say. However, if you want some, come on over and get some. We have just a few we can spare. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif On a good note, the wolves have been struggling just a bit here because they've gotten mange. It's kept the numbers down just a bit lately.

Quote:
SD about 7 yrs ago said there were no lions in the state also but now they have a season on them.

They have had them there longer than 7 yrs and me being a non-res even new it.. Most of the lions have been in the blackhills for a long time and are starting to move out some. We had one of them in Northern Mn. two years ago..

Quote:
Oh yea and to show they don't know how to count wolves, they just killed off a pack that was killing cattle west of Kalispell that they said had 5 (FIVE) wolves, they ended up killing 26 (TWENTY SIX) wolves that they had counted as 5 in the pack..

Well it seems they are takeing care of the problem wolves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:
DOG1WHCKR yes but I'm not going to get in an argument here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I read the study that WY G&F did on the wolves when they filed suit aginst the Feds to take control of the wolves. This study was conducted on wolves in WYOMING and how their reintroduction was effecting their enviorment in WYOMING. To make a long story short, after some haggling and compremises on how wolf hunting seasons would be run, the Feds turned managment of the wolves over to Wyoming G&F. Wolves within the reintroduction area were to be treated as trophy animals, those outside would be treated as predators. Which means they could be shot on sight and ya don't even have to get out of your truck. That's the way it stood until the Judge in Montana put the stops to it. My opinion is that the states should manage them outside the bounries of national parks and contrary to that the law should be enforcded the same as the federal 55 MPH speed limit was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

You're definitely going against the grain with that comment. Most likely this guy was just doing the right thing by reporting the incident to authorities, who most likely cited him and he'll now have a criminal record because of it. I would have shot them both and left them where they fell.

Yes, I am going against the grain. It's a shame that it happened, inadvertently or not. I don't subscribe to illegal hunting activities. And I most certainly wouldn't put this out on a public forum for everyone to see.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....I don't care what you would or wouldn't do. It's most certainly not a shame the wolf got shot. Many wolves get shot every year where they're not protected and they are considered a nuisance in virtually every place they inhabit. There are a few animals that were never able to co-exist peacefully with man, one of them is the wolf. Living in New Jersey you probably haven't come close to having to deal with wolves like landowners and ranchers have out west. So you really don't have much business shunning people who kill them.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....I don't care what you would or wouldn't do. It's most certainly not a shame the wolf got shot. Many wolves get shot every year where they're not protected and they are considered a nuisance in virtually every place they inhabit. There are a few animals that were never able to co-exist peacefully with man, one of them is the wolf. Living in New Jersey you probably haven't come close to having to deal with wolves like landowners and ranchers have out west. So you really don't have much business shunning people who kill them.

I am not shunning anyone. I am against the illegal killing of game animals. I put forth my position here because I feel strongly about it.

You ought to consider the ramifications of the the actions you are a proponent of, and of putting your thoughts of these actions on a public forum. You don't think the antis are reading this looking for ammunition to use against us? Do you EVER want to see a wolf season and proper management of same? Just keep putting your improper comments on the net. You will kill the chances for wolf hunting seasons in the future.

And if you would have paid attention to the rest of this thread, you would have learned of our black bear problem here in NJ. No, I don't have to deal with wolves here. But the bear are a threat to our families and our pets / livestock. We have been forced to coexist with the bears, much like you and the wolf. So I can empathize with your plight.

We can legally kill bears here if they are are threatening humans and/or damaging property. I have no problem with you killing wolves. Just do it legally.

I sympathize with the guys that have wolves in their State that have their hands ties by the Politian's and hippy tree huggers threatening lawsuits. IMO wolves need to be kept in check. The States should have the final say as to what happens in their backyards.
This endangered species act is very controversial indeed. We "easteners" from Maine know how it feels to have outside influence interfering in our backyards. Wouldn't you know it is a "western" group that thinks they know what's best for us "easteners".
http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/2006/12/13/maines-lawsuit-to-ban-trapping/

Quote:

This endangered species act is very controversial indeed. We "easteners" from Maine know how it feels to have outside influence interfering in our backyards. Wouldn't you know it is a "western" group that thinks they know what's best for us "easteners".
http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/2006/12/13/maines-lawsuit-to-ban-trapping/

Well low and behold! And all this time the western guys have been complaining about the big bad easterners having too much to say about what goes on on the west. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Touche! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I think you guys out west are great. I really do.

But I love arguing with you guys even more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is better entertainment than the Super Bowl!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

I am not shunning anyone. I am against the illegal killing of game animals. I put forth my position here because I feel strongly about it.

You ought to consider the ramifications of the the actions you are a proponent of, and of putting your thoughts of these actions on a public forum. You don't think the antis are reading this looking for ammunition to use against us? Do you EVER want to see a wolf season and proper management of same? Just keep putting your improper comments on the net. You will kill the chances for wolf hunting seasons in the future.

And if you would have paid attention to the rest of this thread, you would have learned of our black bear problem here in NJ. No, I don't have to deal with wolves here. But the bear are a threat to our families and our pets / livestock. We have been forced to coexist with the bears, much like you and the wolf. So I can empathize with your plight.

We can legally kill bears here if they are are threatening humans and/or damaging property. I have no problem with you killing wolves. Just do it legally.

You are comparing black bears to wolves? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif You just don't get it.

This is hopeless.

Back