Winchester Model 70 Coyote Light

okiekiyi

I love the look of the Winchester Model 70 Coyote Light but was wanting to see what peoples experiences were with how this gun shoots. I am looking at getting either a 243 or 22-250. I know this is beating a dead horse, but by what I have read on here so far I can see that the savage predator or model 12fv are awesome shooters and better priced so I am kinda leaning over to the savages unless someone has some really good input on the winchester. Thanks

I've heard of problems with the later model Winchesters. On the other hand, my Savage 12FV in 223 shoots incredibly. Skip the Winny, get the Savage.

The 12fv and the Model 70 lite is not a fair fight. The 12fv is a 26" HB and weighs a ton. I would easily take a gun that shot an inch over a gun the shot .5" if it weighed half as much. My brother has a Model 70 in 7 WSM that will shoot .50" pretty regular after I did a little work on it.

Last edited:
I have a Model 70, not brand new, made in the early 90s I think. Its a great shooter, I love that thing. I got it for Christmas so I cant argue the price, as I priced new ones not too long ago and almost had a heart attack! If you think the Savage will do ya, go for it! Good Luck!

My friend bought the coyote in 22-250 in 05 0r 06 and while it shoots ok, it is not what I would call accurate. I almost bought it myself but went another direction. He picked it up the next day.

It's not horrible but my Ruger shoots circles around it. I've never seen it shoot under MOA with handloads or factory.

I rolled a chuck with one in 223 way back- it was twisted for the heavy 223s which was uncommon at the time- and it shot at very good standards (MOA) even for a couple trigger puller types. Very nice- but I would not compare it to custom built rifle that holds half MOA, then again not as costly either. Keep center. JHG

I may have got lucky but i have a .270 wssm coyote lite with a black flutted barrell and it easily shoots a half inch with just the first test loads i used. I was using hornady v max

I have a 12FV and 2 Win Coyotes. One is 7MM WSM and the other is a 25 WSSM. The poster that said it's not a fair fight is correct.

The two Model 70's are 1"-1.250" (3 shot 100 yds) guns with factory ammo shooting off snadbags. I can live with that for a hunting gun wearing a 3-9X40 scope. I bought both of these rifles on sale for under $400 each. I wouldn't spend $600-700 on a late model Win Model 70.

I bought one in 223 four maybe five years ago. I took it out and shot it and was not happy with the results. I mounted three different scopes thinking that was the problem. I kept shooting it and it would not shoot worth a crap. Anywhere from 1.5"-3" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I had a buddys dad bed it and work over the trigger. After that it improved to 1.5"-2" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. That is not acceptable for coyotes or me. It might have been a lemmon but I will never buy a winchester again.

I have a Mdl 70 Coyote (not Light)in .243 that shoots under an inch with factory 100 grains. Previous owner had it "around" 1/2 inch with handloads. No problems with it, it's just a little heavy for a calling rifle.

Last edited:
Back