NC coyote hunters

jbordy

Hey NC hunters.
I have relocated to High Point, NC from PA and am finding it a little difficult and also frustrating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifto find any place to hunt coyotes other than on leased property. I still have my home in PA and can walk out my front door and start calling. Now I need to be on a lease??? (sounds a little canine to me!!) And I have a question about the state game lands. Can I hunt coyotes on a game lands when there is not other animals in season /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif? Do I need a "game lands Permit" to hunt on a game lands?
I am here for about 3 years so I also have a local email address: kbordick@triad.rr.com
Any personal or PM help will be greatly appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

coyotes are considerd non game animals so you can hunt them year around here as long as you are on private land. you can hunt them on public land as long as there is some kind of season open for a game animal. example: my deer BOW season opend Sept. 8 and lasted through Oct. 4 ( which means i can hunt coyotes on public land from Sept.8-Oct.4 but only with a bow). then muzzleloading season opend Oct.6-11. (which means i can hunt coyote on public land from Oct.6-11 but only with a muzzleloader). then Bow season opend back which means i have to use a bow again to hunt them. then bear season, squirrel season, bobcat season, and more all opend up on Oct.13. So during big game season i can use any weapon i want to kill coyotes as long as the weapon is no larger then a 10g. shotgun. Then big game season closes Jan.1. So from Jan.1-Feb.28, the rules say this "It is unlawful to possess a rifle or pistol larger than 22.rimfire (22Lr. not 22MAG) or a shotgun shell with larger than #4 shot during closed gun seasons on BIG game-EXCEPT any size steel or other nontoxic shot may be used while waterfowl or COYOTE hunting." then from Feb.28-April 10 you cant hunt coyote on public land. then turkey season opens from April 11 - May 9. which means i can hunt coyote on public land from April 11- May 9. as long as i stay legal for turkey hunting which means #4 shot is the largest i can use to kill coyotes during this time. then i cant hunt coyote again on public land tell next Bow season. BUT i can hunt coyote year around with any weopon i want as long as i am on privat land. do you understand? i hope i helped you out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks 22Cat. Now only to find private land to hunt on. I read the "game lands permit" statement from page 55 of the NC regulations digest under the title Game Lands License. maybe I am reading more into that part than what I should. I now understand the hunting of coyotes on game lands "only during a season". Thanks.
So one more question. I was in Uwharrie National Forest last week. Am I able to hunt coyotes in that National Forest?

I live in Burlington and hunt on and near Caswell Game Lands. There is plenty of predator sign there and there is around 18,000 acres that is pretty much empty after deer season.

Thanks ncyotecaller but are not the game lands closed to carry a firearm larger than a 22 cal with a barrel shorter than 71/2 inches long? That is what is confusing me about the NC game lands compared to the PA game lands. But I will check it out none the less.

Back