Displaying Dead Animals

pasturepup

Here in Ks if you kill an animal you must keep it from anyone seeing it. If you kill a coyote you cannot lay it in or on your pickup bed/flatbed because someone might see it and get sick. That is the truth, any other states like this or are we the lucky ones again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

A friend and I was out about 2 months ago and shot a coyote. He had it on the back of his flatbed. Game warden passes us and stops and immediately knew what for. I told Dan I had forgot about the "new" law and that is why the warden stopped us. You cannot have any part of any animal poking up or out that can be seen by anyone. We were on county roads and he gave us a verbal warning. I will see if I can find it in our guide here in KS,

KANSAS STATUTES:

Chapter 32: Wildlife, Parks And Recreation

Article 10: Enforcement

Statute 32-1007: Coyote carcasses.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to publicly display the carcass of a coyote.

(b) For the purpose of this section, "carcass" means the body of the coyote, either as a part or as a whole, and either with the skin intact or removed. The skin of the coyote, when removed from the animal, shall not be considered a part of the coyote.

(c) The provisions of subsection (a) do not apply to the display of the carcass of a coyote at a fur market or the use of the carcass of a coyote for educational or training purposes.

History: L. 1979, ch. 117, § 1; L. 1989, ch. 118, § 118; July 1.

Thank you, Jeff. What was really bad was we were out in the middle of nowhere. Closest house was 4 miles away. We stuck the coyote in a side box on his bed.

Quote:
Don't think that dog would hunt in Texas...

Or any other western state. Well maybe Kommieforina. My dad and I went out a couple of years ago and we were in his little suv so we threw it on top of the roof and drove around the rest of the day like that.

John

That sounds like something straight from PETA. Did that sneak through the legislature? Any chance you've got some organized hunting groups to get it reversed? I can easily see them going after coyotes today and deer tomorrow. That's scary.

The story I was told a while back was some elderly ladies were leaving a restuarant and when they were walking to their car, a person had a dead coyote or something like this laying on the back of the pickup bed. Well they got sick and made a big stink to the authorities and here we now have a new law. That is just what I heard.

This is not a new law--been around for a number of years. Goes back to the dog hunting days of the 70's when the dog hunters used to throw the coyotes on top of the dog boxes. Look at the date, goes back to 1979.

That was during the height of the fur craze--unskinned coyotes going for upwards of $75.00 each. I was a senior in HS in '79, and quite frankly, some of the behavior I saw in coyote 'hunters' back then was deplorable--not just dog hunters, but everyone with a shotgun and a rifle that was out to make a quick buck. It is something that was brought on by a few slobs.

Don't totally agree with it, however, but thats the way it is.

I don't hunt with a flat bed, but if I did, I would just put up 2X8's on the edge give it a 'bed effect'. That should take care of the NRO's concerns!

Tim

Tim, I don't think that it has been enforced until about a year or so around here in SW KS. I have seen lots of coyotes on flatbeds and game officials have said nothing to them. Mainly the ones who hunt with dogs. And in my book around here those type of hunters have bad reputations in this area.

PP,
I don't disagree with you--that's funny you bring up the inconsistency of enforcement.

In the last Hunter Ed class I taught in October, I had two NRO's, (game wardens), assisting me. The difference in how they interpret THE SAME LAWS were amazing!

I had two guys saying they would handle the same situation two different ways--very confusing to the students to say the least!

Good Luck!
Tim

I think that law was put into place to keep people from hanging the carcass on fence posts, which used to be what a lot of dog hunters did with the coyotes they caught.

Quote:
I'd just buy a box of large garbage bags and stuff them into those when transporting them.

thats a good idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif carry a can of flea powder/spray, by the time you get home the fleas are dead.

Here in missouri were i live i hunt in two differnt districts and the 4 game warden that patrol are all differnt. with how the decide whats what. I have never had a problem and as long as you do whats right they will help you in any way. i think here in missouri we are lucky yo have the dept. of conservation. and the way they operate.
ray

Jeff, thats very stange. During Deer season I see the game wardens atleast once a trip. See them alot dove and quail hunting also. You must hunt more secluded areas.

Back