Hornady One-Shot case lube

timb

After 27 years of getting my fingers messy with Lee Case lube, I am considering buying some Hornady One Shot.

Have some questions--How do you keep it off of the shoulder? Had some Dillon spray lube one time that dented the shoulders when I full-length sized.

Also, how do you lube the inside of the necks?

Do you just spray it on and let it dry?

Thanks!
Tim

One shot is its own animal

It won't dent the shoulders at least not in my experience

line your cases up in the loading block mouth up

take the one shot and spray @ 45 deg angle, make sure to spray at least 3 sides if not all four I do three

let dry

and your done

Quote:

take the one shot and spray @ 45 deg angle, make sure to spray at least 3 sides if not all four I do three

let dry

and your done

Good advice. Also be sure to shake the can for about a full minute before use.

Mike

I lay the cases on their sides on top of a sheet of craft foam with the mouths facing me about 20 at a time. I spray at an angle toward the mouth and neck from left to right, then spray the bodies from right to left. Then roll the cases about one full turn. From there I go straight to sizing. I have not had a stuck case, dented shoulders or any mess sense going to One Shot. It is very good stuff!!

I stand my cases up in the case block and spray from the front, sides and top, let dry a minute and you are ready. It works great, never had an issue with it.

Quote:
I lay the cases on their sides on top of a sheet of craft foam with the mouths facing me about 20 at a time. I spray at an angle toward the mouth and neck from left to right, then spray the bodies from right to left. Then roll the cases about one full turn. From there I go straight to sizing. I have not had a stuck case, dented shoulders or any mess sense going to One Shot. It is very good stuff!!

+1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I use it when I am doing a large amount of brass. especially 223. Shake the can, line um up and spray. If I'm in a hurry, I dry them with a hairdryer. Works good.

Quote:

let dry

Same here. After sizing I do all the other brass work (chamfer, debur, clean/size primer pockets, etc.), then give them all a final tumbling to remove lube and grit. That's all it takes.

Quote:
Do you guys clean off the lube prior to shooting?

you can clean it off, but it isn't nesacary, its almost a dry lube, the reason you let it dry is to allow the alcahol based carrier used to make it sprayable to evaporate.
RR

One Shot is the only way to go, I've been using it for years... no way I'd go back to a lube pad.

Works great as a release agent when bedding rifles too... way less messy than wax or the supplied release agent... it's all I use now.

I used to stand up a couple of hundred on a commercial cookie sheet, spray, let sit before sizing.

I washed off the wax with Coleman lantern fuel, works like a champ unless you try smoking a cigarette while you are washing your cases, in which case, you turn into the Human Torch!

The guys are all giving you good advice, I've been using it for years and wouldn't think of using anything else. Be sure to let it dry for a few minutes after spraying.

My cases get deprimed with a universal depriming die and tumbled before sizing. After sizing, chamfering and cleaning the primer pockets on an RCBS case prep center they get tumbled again before priming and loading. I like clean cases going into the sizing die.

Let me add to the above, Your first few cases in the press pull slowly and if
they aren't butter smooth stop and spray the cases again. I've used it for years
and never stuck a case until I got some very tightly spaced loading blocks. I
now raised my angle to about 55 or 60 degrees and put on 2 light coats instead of one heavier. It sure is a time and mess saver.

Hate to be the exception but I think there are much better options out there than One Shot. I recently bought some Royal Case and Die Lube from Midsouth Shooters and like it much better. Maybe I'm not letting the One Shot sit long enough before the sizing operation. I'll have to try that. Iv'e only stuck a case twice in 30+ years and they were both with One Shot.

i love it- my only problem is occasionaly I get a clogged up nozzle- but that is probally because the can is smarter than me. I also allow some spray on the inside of the necks to keep the expander part of the die wet and prevent problems. Then the only thing is I use a different case - something I may not even be loading to dump powder into then go to the scale, scale to the loaded round. This way the wet inside case does not allow powder to not get weighed. Hope that did not confuse you. JHG

Quote:
I stand my cases up in the case block and spray from the front, sides and top, let dry a minute and you are ready. It works great, never had an issue with it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Yep, what he said. I just arrange my cases in an alternating pattern in the block so they are not hiding behind one another. Two swipes w/ spray on two sides, give it 60 seconds and you're ready. On one occasion I did NOT give it a full minute and had the first case stick. It must dry briefly to be effective. You can see it go from a wet look to an opaque/cloudy, waxy appearance when it's ready.

I switched from RCBS case lube 2 and wont go back. I load in blocks of 50, put cases in loading block and spray from all sides at a 45 degree doward angle being sure to get lube on the inside of the case mouth. Also before the dies are used for the first time I take them apart give them a good cleaning and reassemble. Then I give them a shot or two of case lube and another shot every 250 rounds. As for cleaning lube off cases, I don't and never had a problem

Richard

Back