first PM3 bobcat

psychowolverine

This was a fun hunt. Joe and I set up on a place where 40 cats had been killed in the last 13 months. They target piglets and such as they make their way to feeders and such.

I set up the PM3 and went back to the popup blind to get ready. Got everything set and started off with a Vittles Ala Jackrabbit. I did 2 sequences of it spaced with a minute of silence and then another minute of silence followed by a sequence of crown cottontail.

I was messing with the call to put in the bobcat card when I looked up and saw something moving. I thought it was just the weeds blowing in the wind, but it kept moving in the same direction.

I said to Joe, "There is somethign right there."
I was sure it was a cat, but not 100%. I finally got a better look at it and realized it was a nice cat indeed. I couldnt see it that well and it wasnt seen for a few seconds... I started a lip squeak and Joe saw it.

He raised up his rifle and squeezed of a good "click".. he ejected the shell and squeezed off another "click". Turns out the safety was on the whole time.
:p

I kept seeing it in the brush with the naked eye, but when I looked through the scope, I couldnt see it.. So I stayed in the scope and finally caught the movement and made it out. I lined up the crosshairs and squeezed off a shot.

We heard it hauling tail through the brush and then it just stopped. We figured it crashed right there.

I walked up to the location of the shot and saw a pile of blood and some parts. Followed the blood trail for maybe 50 yards finding good blood and inards... Walked up on the ole gal and the 243 did a number on her from the angle...

Blew 2 good holes in her on the same side... Needless to say, the pelt was ruined.. lol

She was in the 18-20lb mark and actually had a nice pelt before I came along...

100_2637.jpg

100_2639.jpg

40 cats in one area in the last 13 months? Wow... that's a heepin' helpin' of bobcats in one spot all at about the same time!

Nice cat, nice pictures.
Those deer/pig feeders are great places to set up for cat calling. It's a predator buffet.

Back