story from the weekend

youbetcha

Here's a story from this past Saturday, about a St. Croix County hunt.

I had a dream. I have been to the other side of the mountain now. I was afraid I might not get to the other side with you, but I can now cross this item off my 'bucket list', as of Jan. 24th. For over a couple years I've been dabbling with coyote hunting. Started slowly, but this year have been hunting far more often and usually alone. A few weeks ago I drove to ND and entered a contest - alone. Nothing - not so much as a faint howl or fleeting glimpse.

As a result of using this forum, I met an avid, affable WI hunter, known here as Swiss. We hunted in the Indianhead area Saturday and Sunday, and on our first stand had success. I wanted to see and experience for myself this Perfect Storm of sorts, when it all comes together. It was fantastic. Like the image left when you suddenly close your eyes, I now have a video clip in my head of a Wisconsin coyote running right at me in high gear.

Swiss is the most avid hunter I've ever met. He hunts anything, and has been teaching himself the art and science of coyote hunting. A few days ago, he posted pictures of his first yote; a culmination of two years on a learning curve. He generously asked if I was interested in tagging along this weekend, and we had a great time, despite the bitter cold.

We were set up on some railroad tracks overlooking a swampy ravine, having gotten permission from a farmer not ten minutes prior. The tracks are greatly elevated. On one side is the farm, and on the other, a marshy ravine. The farmer's parting words were "get all of 'em". We were sitting along the south embankment, about ten feet from the tracks and overlooking the marsh. I was facing west and Swiss was looking east. We were about 10 feet apart. The wind was significant. I had my 12 gauge, and Swiss had his 223 AR carbine.

Swiss did the calling to start. Like me, he's not totally comfortable howling yet, and we don't have an e-caller. He was doing the distress thing for only a couple minutes when I heard him say “don’t move”. Of course, the first thing I did was move, turning around to look at what he saw. I couldn't believe it. Here was a coyote on the tracks, running right at us in high gear, downwind from us (yes, I said downwind). You know when your dog hasn't seen you all day, and comes running down the driveway to meet you? That's what it looked like to me.

It was at about 35 yards when Swiss took a shot with the yote at full stride. We don’t think the yote ever knew we were there, as he just kept coming and looking right at us. It was hit by the shot but it wasn't a real good hit. The yote kept barreling toward us another few yards when it turned sharply right in front of us, not 25 yards away. Swiss did not take another shot; I think he was as mesmerized as I was. It tumbled down the bank and into the ravine, and we thought we’d find it down there at the bottom of the bank. It was yelping in pain as it crossed in front of us, so we assumed it was not long for this world.

We called a few more minutes before sliding down the bank to look for our victim. We expected to find it right away, piled up down in the ravine. Instead we found a blood trail but no animal. We followed the trail for about 80 yards in thick brush before giving up. I don’t think it lasted long. What an incredible experience. Now I can check this off on my list, but next time I hope to have a picture to show you. For now, here's a picture of a gathering spot, where they must have dragged a deer. All that's left is a skull and the hide. Sorry this isn't as exciting as the west metro guys, but we'll get there.

hide.jpg

You told it better than i could. I remember calling. Then a coyote. A shot. Then being amazed at the fact it was running at me from 35 yards. Was an amazing rush.

Dead Dog:

Yes, I was in the Thompson tournament. I had hoped to partner with another participant, but no takers. It was a good experience nonetheless.

Back