Double coyotes

guess

I had been planning a trip to west Texas for weeks. We were supposed to leave out Friday evening, but they were calling for a strong front and temps in the 20's. I had a feeling it would shut the coyotes down since it had been in the 80's the last two days.
Well to add insult to injury I woke up Friday and it was beautiful with overcast skies, calm and just the right temperature. I wanted to hunt bad! Then at 7:30 am Rod Haydel sent pictures to my cell phone of two coyotes he had just killed! What a friend! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif Well my first job of the day was moved to Monday! I took that as a sign from God that I should go hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif On the very first stand at 8 minutes a big male came from my right just like he was supposed to. The wind was from right to left. He crossed a ditch on the way and I hit the coyote distress to make sure he came out of the ditch before getting behind me, it worked great he spotted the Mojo Critter and that really got his hackle up! He circled towards the down wind side and I dropped him right there at about 30 yards. I kept calling waiting for his mate. At the 13 minute mark I spotted another coyote to my left, almost downwind. He had already spotted me, but he stood there bobbing his head from side to side trying to decide whether to run or come for the mojo critter. I decided to take the only shot I had, a 96 yard to the head, before he made up his mind. Without my bog pod it could have been done. Both were big males.
By the way it was about 80 again and by Saturday morning and about 2 hours North West of here it was 22 degrees with 40 MPH winds! We called in one coyote all day, that back doored us and was less than 8 feet from us before we saw him!
normal_me_double_mojo_yotes_1-23-09.jpg

normal_me_yote_1_mojo_1-23-08.jpg

normal_head_shot_yote_1-23-09.jpg

Guess those are some nice yotes. That dark one looks huge. I had to think that might have been a red wolf with the size and colors.

Great job!

no I didn't weigh him . I wish I would have he was big! I'm gonna say he broke 45 pounds.
I was going to skin him but he was covered in fleas!
I did save their ears for a DNA project.

Quote:
That dark coyote is a pig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif! I really like the color.
What gun are you shooting?

I was using the T/C Icon in .243

The pelt on the bigger one is a really nice color, and what a brute. I heard once that the more red in a coyote the more chance it comes from stock that has mated with domestic dogs. Is there any truth to that, or is it an old wives tale?

Back