How long before your first coyote?

baer19d

I'm new at hunting predators this year. I've made 22 stands in the past 2 weeks and nothing! Not a single coyote, bobcat or fox and I know the're there because there's plenty of sign. I did call in a hawk. I'm in north central Kentucky and our coyote population is'nt the largest in the country but after 22 stands I should have seen something. Is this normal or am I just having bad luck?

The second stand I called I got a young male, but I was in a target rich environment. For what it's worth it was a long dry spell after that. Less than 22 stands but longer than 2 weeks. Not sure what the norm is out east.

Nate

It took me a few years of sporadic calling to finally kill one, and I've only called in one before that. Most of the other guys on here called in coyotes faster then that I think. It'll come, just keep trying and keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back. It took me about 3 years to get one in and dead, not giving up got me my first so just don't give up.

My first time calling was three years ago the day after i bought my call and called in seven on the first stand. Have not had that luck again and so far this year have made around twenty stands and called two coyotes and 1 bobcat but no fur down.

Are you solo / lone hunting? Solo hunters are backdoored and the coyotes come and go without the hunter knowing it. I went out solo hunting this a.m. and saw nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one coyote came and went on me.

Jeff/Tucson

this is a rough year no matter where you are. I am sure even the guys who still taking them are not doing as well as they were last year. I've called in a few but only 1 taken as said before lone hunting and get back doored /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

probably 70-80 stands before I called my first one. another 50 stands before I called my second one and killed it. I'm learning more and more each time so my chances should still be improving. I know, its frustrating going out and not calling anything, Im used to it now. But when you do call one in, even if you dont shoot it, it will be a HUGE confidence boost. Keep on it, I think my biggest problem was setting up in the BEST place, I have a better understanding on how coyotes respond to calls and which way they will come in. I made 12 stands today, from sun up til sun down, not one called and Im tired as [beeep] from walking all day but it was worth it!

my friends think im crazy, I got a a good chunk of money invested in predator hunting and Im not going to give up now.

It took me more than 22 stands to call in my first one and more than that many more to call in the next one. I live in Wyoming, if that matters. This year I called in 8 in my first 24 stands, 3 in my next 15 stands, 1 in the next 29 stands, and then a double (called and killed) in the last 6 stands.

What I learned is if the wind is blowing, my numbers go way down and I see more dogs if I set up with good visibility down wind.

I am not sure but I would say at least 30-40 before my first one and it suprised the daylights out of me at that time I hunted alone and the coyote managed to be about 10 yards to the right of me before I saw him. I was so suprised I didn't know what to do so I did what everybody who has had coyote fever would do. I swung the gun to the right as fast as possible being right handed it was quite a task. The coyote ran I pulled the trigger nothing safety was still on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. Coyote disappeared no shot fired. Remember breathe and be calm. Good luck and keep at it you will get one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

About 30 stands this year- called in 2 yotes, 2 fox. Got 1 of the yotes (the first that I have called in and shot) and missed one of the fox. I have had only a few missed chances out of god knows how many sets in the last few years. Dvxdude is spot on about it giving you a boost when you call one in, even if you don't get it. I have had a number of sets, while lone hunting, that coyotes pass through without me knowing. Until I see their tracks in the snow on my way out. But hey, I think this is all part of the learning curve. Keep on 'em, its bound to come together one of these times.

Hunted 3 sets this evening and the only thing I called in was an owl that almost took my head off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I about gave him one out of self defence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I made 157 stands one year and shot only 9. I went 50 some stands before I got anything in. It varies from year to year where I hunt.

Lucas

Last edited:
I did over 30 stands easy before I called anything in. The first thing I called in I never saw but it huffed at me from about 10 yards right behind me. Scared the crap out of me. I call in heavy brush and timber with bear and cougar are a possible visitor. The first coyote I called was probably another 20 stands but didnt get a shot off. I went back to the same spot 2 days later and killed my first coyote. Probably another 5 stands and I called in my first bobcat, missed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
I have been really lucky or getting better at it, because I have seen animals everyday I have been out since, not every stand but better than seeing nothing. I called in two today but didnt get any shots. Still very exciting. I know I was calling animals in on a lot of those first stands I just wasnt good at picking locations to be able to see what showed up.

Things that I changed that helped see more animals was having a better idea of where they would be coming from, varying the sounds that I was using (more rodent and bird sounds), using a decoy and learning to stay completely still for long periods of time (moving nothing but my eyes).

Last edited:
My dad and I called in 3 in under 5 minutes on my first ever stand and we got a double. Never had that happen again in over 4 years of calling.

take a vacation
to roswell nm (left field)
you could wear a santa suit with pink underwear
and scream with a goose honker
and never go that long

good luck in kentucky

guero

Before this year I had made maybe five stands in my life, not knowing what I was doing. This year I found this site, joined it, and read about what to do. I called and killed one on my very first stand. I was lucky. I have made probably 20-25 stands since then. I have called in five coyotes since then and haven't bagged any of them, but I learn more every time I go out and am getting better. It helps to go out with someone who knows what they are doing (thanks casey). My problem with the last one is that my partner wasn't keeping still on the stand and the coyote saw him right before I could shoot him. Keep at it, they will come in.

i know the feeling i havent been in this game all that long but i been hunting pretty hard before front and after fronts come thru and mad probly a total of 6 full days hunting this month with nothing but a quick glimse of a cat but cant shoot them right now but your not the only kentuckian haveing trouble western ky lbl area i havent seen jack as far as dogs

I guess it deppends on the stands.you can easily do twenty midday stands here and see nothing but if you pick the right stands and hit them at peak hours you can get it down to one in three or four sets for calling something in.so for some one just starting out I would advise them to stick to the first three hours and last hour of light and try to have fun with it.alot of people leave the sport because they get burnt out.thats whats so addicting about this sport once you start having success you feel you have to make up for the early years.it took me about six years to get a coyote down and well over twenty sets.

Thanks for all the advice. It seems like I was having unreal expectations from watching all those coyote hunting DVD's. I'm definitely going to stick with it and I know that eventually it will all work out.

Back