22 mag

jlstetler

Is the 22 mag a flat shooting gun or is the 17 hmr better?
I want to find a good bobcat/fox caliber to use so and help would be great.

Yes, flatness doesn't matter at the max range that either should be used on these two selected targets(animals) you 've chosen. Precision is paramount on bullet placement of either one of these calibers.

Byron South explained to me about shooting bobcats, hydroshock has very little bearing on these guys. If you ever skinned one, you'll know what I mean. They look like weight lifters once the fur is off. Thick, dense,solid as a rock. But either of the two calibers is pretty decent on fox if ranges are short, 50yds and in, no fur damage-dependant on bullet selection. Still get a few runners with either. Stay on target for follow up shot.

Go on and try some out.

I won't tell you I've shot either with a 17hmr, cuz I haven't. I could see it doing okay for fox, but I would be questioning my choice all day on bobcat or coyotes. Feeling "undergunned" is something I simply will not let myself do........

just so yall know the 17hmr will drop a yote out to 200yrds with good bullet placement (by that i mean a bullet in the ear) and they will d.r.t I shot 1 last fall at 200yds with a tnt 17gr fragment on impact hollow point and he went down right there no twitch its all in how u use it and u know ur limit. i love my 17hmr and use it for squirrells to yotes just rember to place ur bullet where ur aiming and u dont shoot over what ur limit is.

While the seventeen has a lot less bullet drop, the wind effects it a lot more
and it's retained energy at 200 yards is 72 ft lbs, while a regular 22 long rifle
40 grain is 73, and the long rifle continues to out perform it in kinetic energy
from there. So the drop being about 6 inches for the 17 and 32 for the long
rifle matters your bullet deflection for the 17 is about 6 inches @ 200 in a mild
5 mile per hour wind.

If your hunting specifically for fox I would use the .17HMR and use a .223 when your hunting for bobcats.If your only allowed to use rimfires I would go with the .22Mag just because it has more knockdown power.Either caliber would work alright for foxes inside 100 yards I would imagine.But bobcats would be a different story.I wouldnt really feel comfortable shooting a bobcat with either a .22Mag or a .17HMR unless it was 50 yards or closer.Even that close I would still try to shoot it in the head.They are muscular little animals as someone already mentioned.But to answer your question,a .22Mag would probably be the best choice for foxes and bobcats if your going to use a rimfire.

Quote:
17HMR is a squirrel round, if you ask me.

Here we go again........grin

Yep I agree. But I know of a couple people around here that thinks it's the greatest deer gun ever made.

Quote:
ok i have a 22 250 rem wiuld that blow a chunk out of a bobcat or no?

I dont have much experience with the 22-250 but thats all my uncle shoots coyotes with.Bobcats are pretty soft skinned critters so maybe a 22-250 would be a little harder on them than they are on a coyote but I cant say for sure.Some of the coyotes my uncle shoots are worse than others but I will say that one bullet that I've seen make clean kills and not make a mess of the pelts are the 50gr.(I think its 50gr) Nostler Ballistic Tip bullets.Maybe someone else that shoots a 22-250 can suggest some more for you but I think those are pretty fur friendly.From what I've seen anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

the 250 wouldnt be my first choice on cats, i would think that you would have serious pelt damage, i wouldnt have any problems shooting a cat or fox with a mag with a good bullet in it at intended ranges Ron

i just shot a bobcat with a 22250. just over a 100 yards and it pretty much ruined it. 55 gr. reminton soft points from walmart. i'd go with the .22 mag in my opinion.

I have a 22Mag as most public land in my immediate area is rimfire only. I also had a 17HMR, I kept the 22mag as I have found it more hard hitting. Will a 22mag drop a bobcat within 100 yards? Answer is, yes it will, of course shot placement is important.

Back