Night hunting in Montana

TwoDogs

Anybody here that can tell me if we can hunt predators at night. I've been through all the furbearer and other hunting regulations and cannot find ANY reference to night hunting. Usually, you see something about private land, landowners, etc. but I sure can't. I've got a sheepkiller on one place I can't get in the day time.

You can hunt at night with or without lights for predators or non-game (coyotes, fox, rabbits etc) As long as it's not game or furbearers it's OK, same with electric calls.

You might have to look for what is NOT written. That's the way it is in Minnesota. If is doesn't say we "can't" do it, that means we can!

Coyotes are not considered game animals and are not protected by state laws. The following is from the regulations for big game.

Predator and Nongame Hunting: Predators and nongame
species, except prairie dogs, are unprotected by federal and/or
state law or regulation and can be hunted in Montana year-round
without a license by both resident and nonresident hunters. A
conservation license, or a state school trust lands recreational
use license, is required to hunt predators and nongame species
on state school trust lands. Permission must be obtained to hunt
predators and nongame species on private land. For regulations
on prairie dog hunting contact FWP at 406-444-2612.
• Predators are classifi ed as coyote, weasel, (striped) skunk, and
civet cat (spotted skunk).
• Nongame species are defi ned as any wild animal not otherwise
legally classifi ed by statute or regulation in Montana. Examples
include badger, raccoon, red fox, hares, rabbits, ground
squirrels, marmots, tree squirrels, and porcupines.

Hope this helps you

Hi Kevin; On page 22 of the general(deer,elk)regs under prohibited methods for taking game animals or birds it lists lights, third paragragh. Note it says game. On page 21, general regs, it says it's illegal to use electric calls for big game. Again, big game. And on page 3 of the furbearer regs it says electric devices illegal except for predatory animals. Basically it's written in a round about way, but since coyotes, foxes etc aren't listed as game or furbearers, we're good to go. Plus too, doubled checked with the warden years ago just to be sure.

Hunting non-game animals in Montana is is fun stuff albeit very cold this time of year. I've done it for years. It never hurts though to let the local FWP officer know that you are headed out and what area you'll be in. I always had a good enough relationship with them that it wasn't a problem to notify them. I'm sure it saved me from unforseen hassles.

Like Troy said, I'd talk to your local warden ahead of time. There is a lot of ambiguity in the regulations. It's legal, but if the warden interprets things differently (i.e. the regs don't specifically say you can) you could have problems. Hammering the details out with him ahead of time sure beats the heck out of doing it at midnight when it's twenty below.

Nate

The only time you will run into restrictions or regulations regarding the hunting of Predators and non game species in Montana is on Some Federal Lands. A good example would be the CMR (Charles m. Russell) wildlife preserve which surrounds Ft. Peck Reservoir. Legal to hunt there but electronics are illegal and so is night hunting with artificial light.

What kind of regulations are those? And who wrote them?
A Coyote, fox, coon, and badger aren't furbearers?? What are they? I would think that if you could hunt/trap and harvest the hide for selling, it would be considered a fur bearer?

A rabbit, or squirrel isn't considered game? If it makes for good table fare, it's game.

Things are alot different here in Missouri. If ya'll ever decide to hunt here, you better check with me first. And get a pencil and paper! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm just a little nervous and untrusting with the liberals running our great state. I've seen all the references mentioned above but I've also seen in other state regulations where they specifically say you can hunt on private land only and with the owner or as an agent of same.

I guess I'll get a light and talk to the game warden.

Thanks guys.

Back