Triple Dogicide In Arizona Desert

jimanaz

I decided that after the little rain we had last night and the prediction of more off tomorrow, I should slip out and see what kind of mischief I could get into today. Left the house at about 8:30 and by a little after 9:00 I was on my first stand. Looked and felt good and there were fresh coyote tracks in the road as I walked from the truck but nobody came to the party.

I drove on about a half mile and decided to call a big canyon. On the way in I spotted a 150 class mule deer buck, which is pretty fair for a desert buck. Found a likely spot where I could see anything coming up to me, put the caller on an adjacent finger, and started the cottontail blues. At about 4 minutes I saw something streaking through the brush coming up the finger below the caller. I muted the call and watched as a coyote closed in for an easy meal. She stopped and eyeballed the decoy from a few yards, giving me a chance to get lined up on her. I kissed her out from behind the brush and let the air out of her at about 35 yards with the Carey Custom/55gr V-Max combo. Despite her small size, this was a 3-4 year old. No sign of bleeding yet.
IMG_0972.jpg

I spent the next few hours calling some of the best looking bobcat/fox habitat a guy could ask for. I'm starting to think I'm never going to kill another bobcat. Either they ain't coming or I'm not seeing them. Either way, I'm not having any luck with the kitties. I kept moving and trying long after I should have given up and moved on, but it just looked soooooo good. Finally after about the fifth "one more empty stand and I'm leaving", I moved to another area.

The area I moved to was pretty thick so I opted to haul the shotgun and ladder out. Thick stuff is good for the ladder for 2 reasons, 1, I can see better (duh), and 2, I don't have to carry the dang thing very far. Went about 200 yards from the truck and set up. About 5 1/2 minutes into a woodpecker sound I had a customer coming on a steady, fast walk. 1 shot from the 12 gauge is all it took at 25 yards and she was down for the count about 10 feet from the caller. I switched to a cottontail sound and continued to call. 5 minutes later there's another one coming on the same line. This one was a little more cautious, but committed just the same. When she got to where she could see the first coyote laying on the ground she started to circle but the gauge outran her. Here's the stand.
IMG_0973.jpg

Here it is zoomed a little. Coyote number two was about 5 yards out and to the right.
IMG_0974.jpg

And here it is looking back to my position.
IMG_0976.jpg

And the hero shot.
IMG_0979.jpg

Made one more stand and called another one but it must have caught my scent as the wind was kind of swirling, and changed directions just in time to live another day. Even with the clouds I still got sweaty a few times and my glasses kept fogging up from the humidity.

That ladder looks a little tall to be sittin on...but I bet the view is great up that high. Congrats on the triple!!

Quote:
Careful not to break a hip falling off that ladder.

Oh sure Lance, play the old guy card. Honstly though, it IS a concern. I try to be extra careful but if you play with fire, sooner or later you'll get burned. If it wasn't such an advantage in this stuff I wouldn't mess with it. I hope I'm able to crawl back to my pickup after I do fall off it. I'd hate to die out there and not be able to sue Hyperwrx. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah Levi, unpainted aluminum just wasn't cutting it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Thanks Sly, it's a whole new world up there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good job Jim. I see that you are taking it out on me (Alzheimers ring a bell???) for Lance calling you an old man. Not cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am going to have to get me a 12 ft ladder now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Not!

Yeah sue me for what? Good luck on that one. You did rack them up today I gotta say- congrats!

You had people drive looking at you like you're an idiot carrying a ladder out into the desert yet? Andrew, Levi and I came walking into a rest stop on the 79 carrying ladders after a stand. 2 Harley Davidson guys were taking a break off their bikes and looked at us 3 like we were idiots as we walked by them to the truck. Didn't help the situation when someone mumbled to them, "We were painting."

Quote:
You had people drive looking at you like you're an idiot carrying a ladder out into the desert yet?

Oh yeah. Just today a guy drove by me while I was dragging it out of the back of my truck. Shotgun leaning against the tire, ghillie and all. Drove by real slow, just staring. I'd like to know what he was thinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim, excellent dogs and good pics!

Sometimes I use a little trick Scott showed me by using the ladder to cross a fence. So there I'll be, side of the road, climbing the ladder over a fence and people driving by must be thinking "that is one lazy guy."

Back