TC Contender Shooters recommend a good varmint barrel ?

VaPredHunter

Planning to get a barrel for my Contender just thought I would pick your brains for some ideas. I just want an all around varmint caliber in a pistol. I’ve seen a lot of .222s and 22 Hornets on Gun Broker. I was thinking about a 17 Rem. or .204 But I’m not sure if they are big enough for a pistol with the shorter barrel. Anyway I thought you all might have some experience as to what works for you and what kind of accuracy and knock down power I can expect.

Thanks Chris,

I use a 10" 22 hornet and so far no coyotes but Its done very well on the jacks and a few PDogs.

I am not sure on the 17 rem, but depending on barrel length I am gonna say the .204 will be very loud, as is the .223 but I am most likely going to get one as well due to ammo prices.

I would consider a .221 fireball if you can find one, it was made to shoot out of pistol lenght barrels 10" if I remember. If I am wrong rest assured someone will correct me. I had one for a short while, it was an older barrel and didnt want to work so hot on my G2.

Good luck

Dave

Last fall I bought a used 21" 223 Rem Contender carbine barrel and am absolutely amazed at the accuracy I am getting with my 40gr V-Max 3380fps loads.

In the last month I shot 3 coyotes with it 2 were bang/flops
and the 3rd spun a couple of circles and dropped.

I am consistantly putting every shot into 1/2" X 1 1/2" @ 200 yards when I do my part.

So obviously I'm going to recommend the 223... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

since you are shooting pistol, go with a super 14. best bang for velocity with the short gun. I have 22 hornet, 223, 204, and 17 Rem- all work great. I would sell the a few if desired. I at one time had about 150 barrels. The only two I would be willing to sell are the hornet and 223, both are SS- the Hornet is TC Custom Shop. I have scopes on them as well. I also have a SS 22 LR Match with full length rail/target sights. So let me know and I will break out and let you know details. JHG

OH, I have owned a dozen TC 223, with the right ammo- I have often stated that TC never made a more accurate short barrel. Contrast to the above. benched at 100 yards well under a dime. I have been very impressed with it. The hornet and 17 shoot about a nickle. The 204 is comparable to the 223. I have hunted with TCs for about 20 years.

Chris
Are you planning to stick with a factory chambering? If you are looking for extra “knock down power”, you might consider one of the newest JDJ cartridges – 222 JDJ Magnum. This is a blown out 222 magnum case with a 60 degree shoulder. The neck was not shortened allowing factory 222M rounds to be fired. 204 brass can be used after running them though the 222 JDJ sizer.
Velocities with a 14” BBL – 55gr = 3221 fs / 68gr = 2930 fs / 75gr = 2732 fs. JD reports holding about a 6” group at 600 yards.

Here is the link to SSK – for more info.
http://www.sskindustries.com/

B..

I have a 21" 17 rem on my TC. I think my grandson is holding it in the picture. It weighs 4.5 lbs. with a scope on it. It's accurate and DRT on coyotes. After using the 17 Rem TC I built a 17 Rem ar15 upper, and planning on building other. All my other barrels for the Contender are pistol barrels.

In reality, the pistol barrel is only as accurate as you are. My super 14 7mm International Rimmed wildcat (an old IHMSA cartridge) will put them all in 1 hole at 50 yards, but at 100, with only a 2x scope, it's tough to get a good sight picture and it opens up a little. I can keep an inch group easy, but I'm sure it could be smaller if I could "do my part".

I took that pistol to the range with me last year in preparation for an antelope hunt. I shot a 12"x24" gong at 500 meters with it. Admittedly, it took 4-5 shots to figure out the holdover required (about 10 feet) but once I got on it, I was hitting with regularity.

If you're going with a pistol, I'd recommend the super 14 barrel also. I have a 10" 7TCU barrel and it's just too "wobbly" to shoot well in field positions. I'd probably suggest a 223 and get an aftermarket forend, one that allows the use of a short Harris bipod.

bownut

You can use any 14 inch wood forend- just install a swivel stud. Also Pachmeyer make a good one- plenty big with stud. I have a few laying around. I have made them and sold lots on ebay in the past- easy enough with a sanding machine.

JDJ- awesome- I have 2 6.5 JDJs, and had a few others. Go with the 223 or 204 in a S14- you will like it. JHG

Back