Time to rebarrel the .17 rem

WhitBri

Time to rebarrel my .17, use to shoot inside a dime all day now its tumbling the same load. Do I:
1) keep the same caliber
2) turn it into something else .204 possiblly

Just looking for some ideas, I already have a .223 for calling yotes so more of a praire dog/ long range paper puncher.
Maybe some good barrels to go with as well

Years ago I had the same problem with my .17 Rem. It was shooting fine and then it seemed like overnight I could not hit the broad side of a barn. Just turned out to be fouled real bad with copper. Cleaned it out real good with JB bore cleaner and everything was great in the world again. Are you sure it's not fouled? I have been shooting a .17 Rem for many years and they can be a pain sometimes.

I did a rebarrel on my .17 Sako. I went to a krieger 1/10 204. i guess i am happy. Liked the .17 and will probably get another. i think i need both

If you happy with the 17 get another 17 barrel. I'm shooting a 204 right now and am sure happy with that. Longest coyote with it was at 385 yards. Never did a 17, but spent 30 plus years behind a 22-250 and the last five with a 243. Nothing wrong with having two or even three different guns.

Was the barrel a good shooter to begin with? May be worth it to have it set back and rechambered unless your wanting to change calibers.

I agree with everyone, clean it first- soak it over night- scrub it, if that don't work scope it- and maybe get the throat reamed a 1000th or two. Then when all else fails get it rebarreled with a good Lilja or Krieger tube. You should get 4k rounds out of one of these even in a 17 Rem.

I agree with Bob from Idaho- everyone needs a few yote guns- I know I do! Keep center

I think that when the day comes that my 17 Rem barrel is toast that I will have all the excuse that I need to have a .17 Predator barrel installed in its place. The main thing going for this round is that it uses regular .223 brass that is necked down and fireformed. Priced any .17 Remmy lately? Holy smokes it is well over $40 a hundred now. Plus the .17 Pred is all the .17 Rem is and just a touch more more even.

Heck, as far as I am concerned, just getting cheaper brass is good enough for me- as long as it shoots good that is.

My Sako 17 Remington is doing the same thing. I really haven't decided what caliber to go with but probably will go with the 17 Remington again because I already have brass and dies. I really liked the Sako and it shot well. How much should it cost me to get a good barrel installed?

I agree with Rusty 100%!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif You can't abandon the .17. That's just sacriligious. Just make it a little faster and cheaper to shoot. You should really clean that barrel out with some good copper solvent to make sure it's not just fowled. I love my 17 Rem. It's my favorite rifle to shoot and quite capable of shooting coyotes all the way out to 386 yards! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have an older (mid 70's gun??) .17 rem. that I bought used about 15 years ago..God only knows how many shots its had through it...It will still put them all in an inch easily with my hand loads and my shooting!...Love that little gun for fox's!......

Quote:
I think that when the day comes that my 17 Rem barrel is toast that I will have all the excuse that I need to have a .17 Predator barrel installed in its place. The main thing going for this round is that it uses regular .223 brass that is necked down and fireformed. Priced any .17 Remmy lately? Holy smokes it is well over $40 a hundred now. Plus the .17 Pred is all the .17 Rem is and just a touch more more even.

Heck, as far as I am concerned, just getting cheaper brass is good enough for me- as long as it shoots good that is.

My thoughts exactly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. Thanks to DAA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I am obsessed (sp?) with the .17 Predator. That thing is wicked. Im saving my pennies to have one built.

Use some Sweets and scrub out the blue, especially down close to the muzzle. My 17 key holed a few (factory loads) and I scrubbed it with Sweets and a little JB and back to between .5 and .75 groups. My pet load was 24.3 grs IMR 4320, 25 gr Berger match with Rem 7 1/2 primers. If that doesn't work take it to a smith have have him take a look with a borescope. Good luck

Thanks for the imput, and yes I'm sure its the barrel I know how sensitive the .17 is to cleaning so it has always been throughly cleaned. It has 4000 plus rounds through it. It is a Remington so I'll have to have a gunsmith do the work for me. Its just a factory barrel and has always shot well for me, opened up a bit about a year ago and now is actually tumbling the bullets. I went to a different bullet with tougher jacket and its shooting them now not great but acceptable but I know its only a matter of time.
I'm interested in the .17 predator talk, its the first I have heard of it. As I shoot a .223 also how would I go about necking down and forming the case to this caliber?
I think this might be good as I think .17 rem brass will get tougher to come by with Remington swithing to the fireball.

Back