Buckshot through Turkey choke.

CornDogg723

I have a turkey choke and shooting 3 1/2 Super turkey loads or something 4 shot and it groups well at 50 yards proven that far to, just wondering if that turkey load would kill a yote and if not can i shoot buckshot through that choke thnx.

Mostly yes to both questions. 1st off the term 'turkey choke' usually means a choke tighter than the factory full choke. Is this choke a little tighter or a .665 constriction? Also is this shot charge coming down a more open 'backbored' barrel' or a standard barrel. Now are we talking #4 buckshot or 000 buck?

I have & do shoot #4 buck through a .680 choke on a Browning Gold & a .675 choke on a Benelli M2 without any problems. I more often use slightly smaller shot like 'T' or so in the Remington HD or Hevi-Shot variety.

There is also the 'sticky' above that has the tons of shotgun for predators info.

You can but will likely prove less than stellar, especially if its 00 or 000. #4 buck is better in a xfull. They just constrict the larger pellets and they deform, flying everywhere when they leave the barrel. My Benelli patterns 00 or 000 better with a Mod. choke...from my limited testing. #4 might be a little light for a 50yd shot. I am thinking #4 would be good out to 30yds or so for coyotes.

I shoot a Hastings turkey choke. 000,00, and 4 buck are stellar through this choke with the 000 shooting 15" patterns at 40 yards...THAT'S TIGHT!

I shoot #4 remington buck through my turkey choke on Mossberg 835 and it patterns far better than with either modified or full. Guess you will have to try it and find out what your gun likes.

Thats pretty good. Mine was all blown up at 40 yards. Pattern was dismal. 4 buck and BB's. It throws the best pattern I've ever seen with a turkey load though.

Everything I have ever been taught about shotguns and buckshot says the tighter the choke the more deformation and the worse the pattern at longer ranges. But I have also been jumped here and elswhere for posting that you will get the better pattern with #4 BUck and larger with a modified, Improved or cylander bore choke. That is why police & military shotguns ( the ones I have had the most experiance with ) are cyl choked or at best Modified but yes they are intended more for CLOSE range and to use slugs as well as buck. My buck shot gun is a SXS and is bored cyl and imp I seldom get shots at a yote or cat with it at over forty yards. Further than that, and I use a rifle. I never have used a shot gun in opern terrain when shots would be further than thirty or forty yards

Todays buckshot and shotguns are diffrent. Lead patterns well in tight chokes, in alot of diffrent guns. Look at nitro ammo website for references. It flat out works.

Back