new here.....what's your thoughts on baiting

howlinthrill

hello,
I'm new here, i've been reading for a while trying to get the lo' down on these NY yotes. I got a phone call this morning from a buddy who's neighbor has coyote problems near his calf barns. We're going over to take a look at the layout, he has offered to put out dead calf's where ever we want them. Being a very avid archery hunter i understand the wind and all related elements when picking a stand. What i need help with is calls.... should i call when hunting these carcass's maybe challenge howls?? or just stay downwind and wait? I've developed a love hate relationship with these yotes and have had many close calls over the years but never got one. This will be my first winter putting more that a day or two into them. Any help would be great. thanks

wishing everyone red snow

howlinthrill

I guess the choice is up to you. I personally do not have the time to sit on a bait pile and wait(or hope) that a coyote may show up. If the bait pile was positioned where you could peek over a rise from reasonable shooting range it may work a little better. Instead of sitting and watching you could just stop in and take a peek from time to time. If you don't see anything then you could plan to set-up and call. Just an idea.

If the guy is having a problem already, then placing a smorgasboard buffet on the table might attract a whole lot more attention to his farm than he already has. And you aren't gonna be able to kill them all, soooo... how will he feel about that?

his dead cow's are already piled in the barn yard..... which i discovered tonight. I didn't see any coyote sign there but did call in a red...no shot though. I don't think he has a "problem" as he led on. He saw a couple during the day and got a little nervous. We did get the green light to hunt there anytime we want. We had two others come in tonight both upwind, so they blind sided us again no shots. Sure had a alot of fun though. Sooner or later i'll put it all together...gettin closer every time.

howlinthrill

They came in upwind and blindsided you? Were you set up watching only the downwind end of the stand? I would be crosswind... you can usually have more options that way.

Back