Making Tire Chains fit large tires? Anyone?

SalemDawger

I have 4 chains for 245 r17 tires. I now have 265s on my truck. Has anyone ever made chains longer? I think I would only need to add like 3 inches to them but I am worried it would through them off balance.

What do you think the best way to do it would be?

Balance isn't much of an issue at speeds a tire chain needs to run. 3" is easy. However, I wouldn't do more than 5" or so without trying to find or construct another segment.

I'd add a few links with cold shuts as the joint, then weld the cold shuts permanent. I don't like them without spot welds. I've seen them hold a tremendous about of strain (commercial fishing) but I'd still prefer to weld them permanent.

Most tire stores have both the side links and cross links to do exactly what your talking about. You'll also need a set of chain pliers.

One of the problems with adding length to a set of chains is the cross link size. Often going longer also means you need wider chains to fit that bigger tire properly and that can be problem.

I have chains that are a little different as there is enough adjustment to use them on a good range of tire sizes. I bring them tight & pick up the chain slack with bungie cords. I call them the poor/frugal guys 4WD. They are more to deal with than push button 4WD but work great.

Chain pliers are a large plier like tool that has jaws that let you remove and install cross links with a fair amount of ease. Any tire shop that does truck chains will have a large pair of them and you can buy them from most large auto parts houses.

Lengthening chains is pretty straightforward. You might even get away with using a stout pair of long-nose pliers used in concert with a pair of Vise-Grips as I've done. Balance won't be critical at slow speeds. Not having a chain come apart to whack your sheet metal or a brake hose is the bigger deal.

For a few years now I've put off buying or making up a hefty 4WD truck set of chains. I find I do can get around in deep snow with my Xterra pretty well, at least right up until it's deep enough to high center my rig (18" is about the limit). A fresh set of BFG M/Ts is the key to not having to mess with chains, hven't had to use them in years. Of course, there was that week last winter where I didn't go anywhere until the 3' of snow and 6' drifts melted some...

And, every once in a blue moon, it'll stay icy on my unplowed forest service road for weeks on end. I'm thinking stout cable hoops would go around and over my BFG M/Ts easier than the standard types, which have proven to be a bear to fit over deep lugs. Anyone know of such a pre-made set? Similarly, anyone have a source for the cross-link twist chain with the triangular ice cutter bar stock welded on? (Unfortunately, nobody seems to make a commercially available set having both features).

LionHo

lionho, I have a set of the "ice cutter" chains as well, but they are two small as well. I have found that having chains in the truck helps me get myself stuck more often, Just like when I used to have a whinch. Sure is nice when you need them though! Thanks for the info!

Back