Arizona's Tri-Club Hunt

Hyperwrx

Yesterday was the Arizona tri-club hunt (APC vs PVCI vs XPC). For the 2nd time in a row, APC cleaned house on all competing clubs.

Ecaller- Minaska All in ONE
Terrain- Thick Thick Thick with shotguns
Decoy- None
Nutrition- Pepsi's and Slim Jims

Tyler, Andrew, and I went South and found some beautiful calling area where the coyotes ran into stands without a care in the world. We called 11, shot at 7 and took 4. Our poor kill ratio was 100% my fault. After missing 3 coyotes all within 25 yards with my shotgun I noticed the Carlson dead coyote choke was about 1/2 unscrewed. I have no idea how bad the shot pattern was effected but I'd have to guess significantly. Once that problem was corrected we shot 100% from there on out.

Highlights were the bobcat on the first stand that ran in after 3 minutes. Andrew was him and dropped him. I'll let him fill in the details. Another interesting event was the 30 pound male coyote that came through some really thick brush. I shot it and after tracking it down we realized it was in pretty bad shape. No teeth- all more down to the gums and a malformed left leg. No idea how long this coyote had evaded hunters but he was defiantly an old timer. The majority of the coyotes I have shot this year have all been young of year. I find it more of an accomplishment calling in and shooting a veteran coyote. Call of the day was Woodpecker distress.

Here's a picture of Andrew's bobcat. I have now opted to post pictures once a month rather than a few times a week.

This bobcat was actually quite large but when Andrew holds it up it appears more like a kitten.

1_17c.jpg

How many guys in APC, Scott? I have a friend that attends last I knew. He's a tall, bald, 70's, snowbird from Glennallen AK to Mesa. Tell 'em I said "hey!"

What area were you guys hunting in. I am going to come to the wickenburg area some time and want to make sure you guys havent killed them all already.

good job guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sounded like you guys had a good time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wish I could of participated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Boycotting any comment due to picture hoarding by the poster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Atta boy Andrew! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

XPC was hurtin pretty bad this time - Kelly and I were the only team to boost the numbers. We called 3 dogs, killed 2, and called and killed a fox. The only other animal from the club was 1 other fox. It was a little sad - but we had a great day! Kelly's nephew Luke was with us, and while he never got to connect on an animal, he trooped right along and hopefully learned a thing or two.

My coyote was a rifle kill (running shot - a little bloody) but my fox and Kelly's coyote were both shotgun kills. We pulled off just 10 stands, but had a lot of driving to accomplish during the day. We used handcalls as usual and had some success with the Predator Sniper feather decoy. Used a few different sounds during the day, but rabbit distress seemed to be our ticket.

Here's our pictures, and a couple of pics of the animal piles. All in all I counted 27 yotes, 4 bobcats, and 3 fox, including a kit fox.

coyote_011709_1.jpg

coyote_011709_kelly1.jpg

fox_011709_1.jpg

mch09_2.jpg

mch09_1.jpg

I hate to say it but, congrats to APC. As a PVCI guy I hate that you guy won by such a LARGE margin. There's always next year!!. The best part of my hunting day was a javelina we saw out in a field when walking back to the Jeep. Gary and I got blanked. Two yotes came in right as we were standing up closing shop at the 15 minute mark. No shots were taken.

Love the first pic...that is me and my two boys looking on. We got skunked but the boys are excited to try again sometime. All those dead coyotes and bobcats were neat to see. We had fun for our first time out for predators

...at least we were on the winning team /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Last edited:
Saturday was fun even though Friday night I had to sleep in the same room as Scott and Andrew who almost had me passing out because of something they ate lol. But they let me tag along to watch and see how its done. I do think we called in more than anyone else but we were in some of the thickest and most painful brush around and that's why I think we called in so many because the coyotes were sure that no hunter in his right mind would be there so it must be a real animal dieing. Congrats to Andrew on the cat even if you rubbed my nose in it. I did have fun though guys so thank you.

Way to go guys. Wish I could have gone to this hunt. And Andrew put a lot of holes in that bobcat. After I got it all skinned out it looked like Swiss cheese, but yes it was a good size cat. Not the biggest but still it was far from a kitten.

John

Bill and I hunted, we hunted fairly steadily all day, only called one coyote, I could have killed it but thought Bill had it, but didn't, there was a bush right in line for him. After that some Javalina, birds and an Owl were all w saw. We were going to drop into the gathering, but after a VERY long day with nothing to show for it, staying home had more appeal.

Michael, I get hawks coming to the call all the time (probably 7 out of every 10 stands), but hardly ever get any owls. I have only had 2 owls ever fly in while I was calling. When a big barn owl swoops in low on your caller it's defiantly an eye-opener.

Scott, if you think it's crazy when an owl or hawk swoops down on your e-caller, try being a handcaller - now THAT'S an eye opener!

Quote:
He was.

I still am.

I hand call quite often. Ask my hunting partners. They can attest to the horrendous squalls and screeches my hand calls emit.

Quote:
Quote:
He was.

I still am.

I hand call quite often. Ask my hunting partners. They can attest to the horrendous squalls and screeches my hand calls emit.

I really thought they were not all that bad...

Until I heard Tyler and Rich then I decided that you definitely suck.

But your better then I am and your hand calling has brought in animals before, so keep at it!

Comparing me to Tyler and Rich isn't even remotely fair. When a coyote comes to my rabbit distress hand call its because he is curious, not because he's coming for a meal. "What in the [beeep] is making that hilarious noise over there. Think I'll check it out!"

Lol know what your saying. I sound like someone beat boxing a dead rabbit on a record player. Its just horrible.

Tyler is really amazing. The sounds he was making this weekend were just awesome.

Back