243 and 58gr v-max, anyone??

skeetlee

I picked up some 58gr v-max today for the 243. I am kinda wishing I would have bought something else. Anyway I have them and i will try them out. Do any of you guys shoot them in a factory rem 700 243 heavy barreled rifle. I bought these hoping for good accuracy of course and i hope they will have the splash factor on prairie dogs. My rifle shoots the 75gr v-max really really well and the 65gr v-max pretty darn good so i probably should just stick with these, but i am afraid they will not blow up prairie dogs quite as well. Anyone like the 58gr v-max? how fast can you get them going? Lee

Can't imagine them not being better on prairie dogs! I shot to verify zero today and put the 3 rounds I took into a half inch circle at a hundred yards. Factory loads. Man those things get there quick!

I have shot them out of the .243 Win. They are accurate and devestating! I have shot a couple of coyotes with good success as well with a bullet diameter exit. I wouldn't bet it would do that every time out of a 100 though! My most accurate load is with H-414. It is doing 3955 fps with a 24" barrel. I tried Varget and H4895 as well. They were pretty accurate but about 200 fps slower. H-414 has always served me well in the .243 and 7mm-08.

Quote:
I picked up some 58gr v-max today for the 243. I am kinda wishing I would have bought something else. Anyway I have them and i will try them out. Do any of you guys shoot them in a factory rem 700 243 heavy barreled rifle. I bought these hoping for good accuracy of course and i hope they will have the splash factor on prairie dogs. My rifle shoots the 75gr v-max really really well and the 65gr v-max pretty darn good so i probably should just stick with these, but i am afraid they will not blow up prairie dogs quite as well. Anyone like the 58gr v-max? how fast can you get them going? Lee

Im going to the range tomorrow to try some of them out , i hope they will do great ,Im trying 3 of each in the powder load to fine what groups the best ,Ill work all the way to max load ,so ill know what powder charge works the best

I load 65gr. V-Max for my Rem.788 .243

Awesome! Un-believable devestation. I get nickel sized groups at 100yrd all day long.

I splurged one time and bought a box of Winchester Supreme in 55gr. with the grey polymer tip. Wouldn't shoot groups at all! At 100yrds I'd be lucky to keep them in the size of a coffee can!
I've never tried loading my own 58's. They might shoot ok, but I'm scared to waste the money, then find out that they shoot like crap too. I'll just stick with the 65's for Yote, and 80gr or 90gr Interbond for bigger stuff.

Why do you want to drop down to a 58gr. V-Max if your gun already shoots 65's just fine? Trust me, you will get all the Explosion you can handle with the 65gr. V-Max! Hope you don't plan on taking them home? If so, you better carry a bucket and a scoop shovel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Oh yeah, Speed? My reloads in 65gr. V-Max are screaming along at about 3,600fps. Not bad. Go take a look at the coyote I shot on the 9th of Jan. It's in the Predator Hunting forum, under [First Coyote this season.] You can see what it did to that guy?

Last edited:
This is actually one of my favorite bullets and should make a prarrie dog disappear with no problem. You could get it going around 3800 fps with 41.2 gr IMR 4064 or 41.7 gr Varget, Varget may get you tighter groups.
Groups of 1/2 inch at 100 yrds can be expected. These are fun bullets in my opinion!

I shot one box up in both my Ruger #1B and my Rem 700 VLS. The Ruger with a 1 in 10 twist and the Remington with a 1 in 9 3/4 twist. Gave me under one inch groups at a hundred.

Went to Nosler 55 grain Ballistic tips and got better accuracy for some reason. I'm pushing them at 3950 over my chrono with H414. I use them for both ground squirrels, rock chucks and coyotes. They sure kill coyotes quickly.

I loaded some for my stevens 243. The best I have got so far is around 1 in. I have some more loads worked up for it so we will see.

They shoot extremely well in my Rem 788 and my NEF. I had very good luck with one shot kills and minimal damage. I had several bobcats with no exit.

39gr of RL15 shoots good in my sons 243.

No exit holes on coyotes and little bitty groups on paper.

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

I shoot them out of a model 11 savage with really good results. I am pushing them down the tube with h414. I like to shoot PDs low ,...just to see how high I can push them. Matthew

These bullets were fine in my .243 out to 100y, then they became erratic from 200+. No doubt they are explosive when they go where you want them to.

I found the bullets in the 70 grain class to be much more reliable, and still very explosive.

I just got back from the range , i was trying the vmax 58gr with win760 powder , and they sucked , the best i could get was 2 shots at 1 inch at 100 yds ,I then tried the 60gr sierra bullets with the same powder and had the same luck ,
I was getting bullet holes touching with h335 and the 60gr sierra bullets other day but with the w760 1 inch was the best i could get

Quote:
I just got back from the range , i was trying the vmax 58gr with win760 powder , and they sucked , the best i could get was 2 shots at 1 inch at 100 yds ,I then tried the 60gr sierra bullets with the same powder and had the same luck ,
I was getting bullet holes touching with h335 and the 60gr sierra bullets other day but with the w760 1 inch was the best i could get

I haven't read anything good about win760? Everybody who has reviewed it, doesn't have very high praise for it. Supposedly, that's what they use in their Supremes? And my gun hates them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

It likes Varget

Hey, Mo. Man -How's that Hornet shoot? Always thought that would be a neat little round.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't read anything good about win760? Everybody who has reviewed it, doesn't have very high praise for it. Supposedly, that's what they use in their Supremes? And my gun hates them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

It likes Varget

Hey, Mo. Man -How's that Hornet shoot? Always thought that would be a neat little round.

ya im going to have to try something other that the w760 , i had high hopes for it but now i guess the bottle will be gathering dust now lol

that 22hornet is a fun little gun , i have killed more coyotes with it than anything , I get the best out of it useing lilgun power and small pistel primers or cci mag primers ,
its a great gun for kids also no recoil to think about , even my 11 year old girl likes to shoot it ,
any way thanks for the info

My 243 loves the 58 grain Hornady VMax and Varget powder. It's an old 1909 Argentine Mauser with a Douglas Premium 1:10 twist barrel and Burris FFII Tactical 4.5-14x42 AO and Ballistiplex reticle. I have it zeroed at 200 yards. It shoots a hair over a half inch center to center group at 100 yards and 1.1" at 200 yards. Well within minute of Fox and Bobcat.

I also shoot an AR with 60 grain Hornady Vmax and Hornady TAP 60 grain Urban. The 243/58 hits harder and I believe is a better choice for a Coyote round. I have had 243/58 exit damage on Fox and Bobcat but never on a Coyote.

I have heard some rifle handle the 58 VMax well and others don't...who knows why...

I shoot 58 vmax in my loads with a 243 mossberg 100atr with a 1:9 1/4 twist I'm getting .3" groups at 100yds all day loading 58 vmax over 49.5 gr of w760 rem brass and WLR primers the 49.5 of powder is .5 over max but no pressure signs at all hope this helps

Originally Posted By: 13B-A/BATI shoot 58 vmax in my loads with a 243 mossberg 100atr with a 1:9 1/4 twist I'm getting .3" groups at 100yds all day loading 58 vmax over 49.5 gr of w760 rem brass and WLR primers the 49.5 of powder is .5 over max but no pressure signs at all hope this helps

Seriously?

Back