With all this talk of downloading sounds lately...

d2admin

Administrator
I don't think I ever posted the link to the jack rabbit distress sound you can download from our website.

It's only one sound, but it's a good one. I've had real good luck using it on my Foxpro, and several other guys that I sent it to tell me it's working well for them too (pics below are from first day of field testing). The free version is a short clip, for you guys with Foxpro's, or about to order one, the full length version is available from Foxpro. Anyway, here it is:

Jackrabbit in Distress

JackSoundFox.jpg

JackSoundYote.jpg

- DAA

You're more than welcome!

I just checked, and more than 70 people have downloaded that sound since I posted earlier today. Nearly 500 total, since I put it out on the website about a week and a half ago.

Not to stir any fires or anything, but when you see numbers like that, it's not hard to understand why people who earn all or part of their living with sounds get nervous about the possibility of people making them available on the internet!

- DAA

You are right on DAA. It is somewhat fascinating to me to watch the evolution of digital technology even though in many ways we are harmed by it. Several years ago I predicted what you are doing would happen and Wah La...here we are today. I am anxious to hear your sound quality. What kind of recording gear did you use?

Gerald, we used our digital video camera to record the sound. Tried two different microphones, a Sennheiser shotgun, and the onboard built-in mic (Canon GL-1). Somewhat surprisingly, the built-in mic seems to have greater dynamic range than the Senn we've got. The camera records the sound digitally, of course, in 16 bit stereo at 48KHz, so the potential for excellent quality is certainly there. I'll leave it to the experts to say how good the quality actually is.

A good friend of mine who was in the sound business in the '80s gave me quite a bit of good advice that has helped a lot. He actually ended up selling his sound library to your company when he decided to get out of the business. He says that even back then, piracy was a major concern, and basically what made him decide to hang it up. Some guy was selling tapes of his sounds through Cabela's, and was selling more of them than he was! I'm in the software business, so I too fully understand the gravity and real cost of piracy. It's certainly not the harmless activity most seem to think it is.

- DAA

If you have been running with Bill that tells me your are a dangerous man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You didn't record that jackrabbit under your truck at 2:00am like Bill did for his Superjack recording did you?

There are several aspects to the issue of quality that I will not expound on. The equipment is only one aspect of that. Technology is to the point where the average Joe has the ability to capture film and audio for under a $1000 which cost us several thousand in the 70's.

It is the same with still photography. That market is so competitive now that it is tough to make a living in it. The ones that are top teir do it with standards and efforts that are just not common to anyone though.

The same is true with sounds. Dad made his mark in this industry with a standard he set for himself and then persevered long enough to overcome lack of training and knowledge in the audio sound field.

I am trying to listen or download your sound and can only get a windows media screen that does nothing. Any suggestions?

Say hi to Bill for me and don't tell him that buying his library was one of the best decisions I ever made. If they had fallen into the hands of another large company it would have been very damaging to us in the long run. I don't want him to think he left money on the table so try and keep this between us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Finding a sound like this for free is like getting a coyote driving around, man it feels good. I'm surprised at those who would spend hundreds of dollars on equipment and neglect to purchase the sounds to go with it. I've found good sounds in most of the stuff I've bought and made them work better for me using Goldwave.

tomtool

Back