.300 Win Mag varmint Rounds

Kmartin

Hello I could not find any info in the search section about my question so here goes.
Is there a factory round that is suitable for coyotes I only have one rifle right now and no way of hand loading and was concerned about using this on coyotes not because of fur damage but the bullet passing through and not dropping the coyote due to most rounds being designed for big bodied animals. I have experimented on pumpkins before, my friends .22-250 blows pumpkins up, my .300 Win Mag bores holes as the bullets wouldn't open up, didn't have time to test other factory loads so I thought I would see if anybody has any experience with this subject. The absolute last thing I would want is to shoot one and have it run off wounded, as much as I hate coyotes I respect and admire them.

Use the lightest weight slug you can find. Should open up enough to make a big mess of a coyote.

Pumpkins aren't good test media, they seem to respond only to very high velocity and very frangible slugs. They don't react at all to my S&W .500 Mag. Don

When I'm tuning up for hunting season I often take the deer rifle, a 280 Remington or the elk rifle an 8mm Rem mag out for coyotes. I like to use the same ammo I'm going to hunt big game with so I don't have to rezero the rifle. They seem to kill coyotes as well as big game.

Nothing you shoot in a 300 mag will be fur friendly, might as well shoot the same bullet you would use on big game.

I shot 1 coyote with my 300 win mag, don't have to worry about them running away! For the price of a few boxes of factory ammo for the 300 you could buy a smaller caliber rifle for coyotes and varmints.

I would like to try making some light loads for the 300 that dont kick so hard. My 30-06 is a lot more fun to shoot
just due to the recoil the 300 just sits in the safe.

-Steve

Thanks for the input! I just didn't want to risk wounding a coyote with a bullet that doesn't open up. Kind of strange to think about the coyotes are a problem around my father in laws house and the whole goal is to kill them, but I was raised with the principal of paying the animal respect so wounding an animal is out of the question, so I am trying to do my home work before dealing with the problem. The pumpkin wasn't so much a test, but rather something that was free to shoot and biodegradable so you don't have to pick up all the pieces when you are done.

I think your best option would be to pick up some Remington 150 gr PSPCL factory loads.

If you have no concerns about saving the hide, put the bullet on the shoulder. Just be aware of your backstop.......

JD338

Quote:
Thanks for the input! I just didn't want to risk wounding a coyote with a bullet that doesn't open up. Kind of strange to think about the coyotes are a problem around my father in laws house and the whole goal is to kill them, but I was raised with the principal of paying the animal respect so wounding an animal is out of the question, so I am trying to do my home work before dealing with the problem. The pumpkin wasn't so much a test, but rather something that was free to shoot and biodegradable so you don't have to pick up all the pieces when you are done.

The temporary cavity created by the hydro-dynamic shockwave will be almost 8" across even if the bullet doesn't expand.
This shockwave is what kills, not the permanent cavitation of the 0.308" hole.
Permanent cavitation(the hole left over after the object has left), is best left for cutting devices like a broadhead on an arrow or other larger diameter low velocity projectiles.

Having an expanding bullet is for energy transfer of the bullet into the object. Since the internal chest cavity is only about 8-10" across all the internal organs get squished. Those that are not flexible will break or split. Things like the liver, spleen and heart do not doo well.

This same shock wave is what will explode a prairie dog when hit with a high velocity bullet.

No worries, a pass through with a 150 grain bullet at 3300ft/sec will do the trick quickly.

Federal makes a 3500ft/sec 130 grain with a Barnes Triple Shock Hyper Velocity... but at $54/box of 20, like it was stated before; a couple of boxes is the same price as a stevens 200 in 223, and then you can shoot ammo at $7/box

Quote:
No worries, a pass through with a 150 grain bullet at 3300ft/sec will do the trick quickly.

Yeah, I don't see a coyote surviving a .300 Win. Mag. hit as long as it's not FMJ. If I was going to varmint hunt with that, I'd pick a 150 or 165 gr. SPBT and play with it until I found a very accurate bullet/velocity combo with a high BC. You could use that load on any game animal in North America very successfully. If you weren't interested in keeping the hides. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Okay, here's a topic I know a little bit about. You can most certainly kill coyotes with the .300 Win.Mag, I did it for years until I could afford something a little more powder friendly. Since you don't sound like you want to handload I would take the other fellas advice and shoot the lightest,most frangible factory load I could find. Unless you plan to shoot more than 20 rounds on coyotes this year you might go ahead and use the Federal 130 gr Triple Shock. If you can manage a couple of head shots, you might even re-coup most of the cost of the ammo. If you can find someone RELIABLE to do some hand loads for you then you can take them some of YOUR brass shot out of YOUR gun and work up one of the following: 110g V-Max 79g IMR 4350(hot load) Federal Gold Medal Large Magnum Primer (for very consistent ignition) REM. brass. The second load you might try is: 125g Nosler Ballistic Tip 77g IMR 4350 Federal GM Large Mag Primer. The 110 V-Max moves out at a little over 3600fps on a good day, the 125 Nosler a little slower at a little over 3400fps. As stated above by other members neither one of these loads will be fur friendly but I seriously doubt you will WOUND and lose any coyote you would hit with either of these loads. The V-Max is particularly devastating. Also the wind don't bother either one much as Randy is fond of saying. The ballistic tip is much better for long shots owing to it's superior ballistic co-efficient(I don't think the V-Max stabilizes much beyond 100-150 yds.)However with very careful case prep. and due diligence to accurate powder charges both rounds will put 5 rounds in the same hole. I have done this many times with the rifle I shoot-- a bone-stock(no customizing) Winchester 70 Stainless with a factory installed BOSS muzzle brake that works quite well on this gun. Crappy Sightron 4-16X42 scope. Any way hope this helps in some way, just remember it's mostly WHERE you hit 'em not WHAT you hit 'em with thats going to put them down. I've put a number of them down with a .22 Mag. Practice, practice, practice. Good hunting. dedogs in Mont.

You might also try one of the managed recoil type of loads. If they shoot good for you they should be a little easier on you. I don't think the coyotes will care about the difference. I still think you will have to be careful though.
Mark

It has been suggested to me that a 95g .264 V-Max @ 3700fps is less affected by wind than a 110g .30 V-Max @3600fps. What do you guys think? dedogs

HA!

At 1,000 yds, the following is true (Don't ask me how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

Velocity

.264 WM = 1481
.300 WM = 1103

Energy

.264 WM = 462
.300 WM = 297

Drop in inches (100yd zero)

.264 WM = -214"
.300 WM = -305"

Wind drift (3 o'clock 10mph)

.264 WM = 85"
.300 WM = 130?

My .264 ran circles around my 300 WM on feral dogs at long range.

Quote:
Point made. Still wondering about the tee shirt.

"The tee shirt" is an expression that originated a long time ago from tourists that went somewhere and brought back tee shirts from the place they went... and the phrase has come to mean, "I actually did it".

Much of the information you get when asking a question on forums like this, comes from people that have never owned the "thing" you are asking about, or they never "did it"...

For example, there is no such thing as "managed recoil loads" for the 300 Win Mag!

... it's stuff that they think will work cuz they dreamed it up, or that they read somewhere (they "think"), or a guy at the range said..., or their sister's best friend went out with a guy that used to work for Winchester, or maybe he worked in the sporting goods department of Wally's, she's not sure.

"Having the tee shirt" means you have actually "been there" and done it, used it, owned it, etcetera.

[quote
For example, there is no such thing as "managed recoil loads" for the 300 Win Mag!

... it's stuff that they think will work cuz they dreamed it up, or that they read somewhere (they "think"), or a guy at the range said..., or their sister's best friend went out with a guy that used to work for Winchester, or maybe he worked in the sporting goods department of Wally's, she's not sure.

If you look here you will see that Remingtion does list Managed-Recoil™ loads for the 300Win. The Managed-Recoil™ loads are for those that are recoil sensitive and want to shoot. I thought this would be plenty for coyotes and be easier on the shoulder. I do not have the tee shirt from using these loads but I was suggesting these as another option.

Here are the other loads listed on Remingtions web site-Caliber Order No. Weight Grs. Bullet Style
Managed-Recoil™

260 Remington RL2601 140 Core-Lokt PSP
7mm-08 Remington RL7M081 140 Core-Lokt PSP
270 Win RL270W2 115 Core-Lokt PSP
7mm Remington Mag RL7MM4 140 Core-Lokt PSP
30-30 Win RL30301 125 Core-Lokt SP
30-06 Sprg RL30062 125 Core-Lokt PSP
08 Win RL308W1 125 Core-Lokt PSP
300 Win Mag RL300W1 150 Core-Lokt PSP
300 Remington Ultra Mag RL300UM1 150 Core-Lokt PSP

NOTE: Managed-Recoil Centerfire ammunition may not operate all recoil or gas operated firearms.

Just another option for someone if they don't handload.

Mark

Last edited:
Quote:
HA!

At 1,000 yds, the following is true (Don't ask me how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

Velocity

.264 WM = 1481
.300 WM = 1103

Energy

.264 WM = 462
.300 WM = 297

Drop in inches (100yd zero)

.264 WM = -214"
.300 WM = -305"

Wind drift (3 o'clock 10mph)

.264 WM = 85"
.300 WM = 130?

My .264 ran circles around my 300 WM on feral dogs at long range.

Gee the 6.5. Enough said.
I'm shooting 87 and 100gr out of a 1600 Husqvarna 6.5x55. W/ a 4x scope at 300 yards it is an easy kill. What bullet weights were you using?

Quote:
[quote

If you look here you will see that Remingtion does list Managed-Recoil™ loads for the 300Win. The Managed-Recoil™ loads are for those that are recoil sensitive and want to shoot. I thought this would be plenty for coyotes and be easier on the shoulder. I do not have the tee shirt from using these loads but I was suggesting these as another option.

Here are the other loads listed on Remingtions web site-Caliber Order No. Weight Grs. Bullet Style
Managed-Recoil™

260 Remington RL2601 140 Core-Lokt PSP
7mm-08 Remington RL7M081 140 Core-Lokt PSP
270 Win RL270W2 115 Core-Lokt PSP
7mm Remington Mag RL7MM4 140 Core-Lokt PSP
30-30 Win RL30301 125 Core-Lokt SP
30-06 Sprg RL30062 125 Core-Lokt PSP
08 Win RL308W1 125 Core-Lokt PSP
300 Win Mag RL300W1 150 Core-Lokt PSP
300 Remington Ultra Mag RL300UM1 150 Core-Lokt PSP

NOTE: Managed-Recoil Centerfire ammunition may not operate all recoil or gas operated firearms.

Just another option for someone if they don't handload.

Mark

You are right - I couldn't find any.

Quote:
"... Gee the 6.5. Enough said.
I'm shooting 87 and 100gr out of a 1600 Husqvarna 6.5x55. W/ a 4x scope at 300 yards it is an easy kill. What bullet weights were you using?

.264 Win Mag w/95gr V-Maxs @ 3750fps from a Rem Sendero-II-SF.

Dude. Jut shoot them whith whatever you have in the gun at the moment and don't worry about it. For over a decade I only had a 300 Win mag and I shot a bunch of foxes and other random critters while deer hunting. None of them seemed to notice any difference if it was a 180 failsafe (I shot that one for years) or a 150 corelokt. The result was always the same. Big mess and dead critter.

The only thing I would say is that you might want to stay away from the bonded rounds because they are very tough. Although, I would be willing to bet that the result even with one of those would still be a big mess and a dead critter.

Back