4000+ fps .223 load?

Yah mine are filled more then that. Like I said, I dont even weigh the charge, just dump a spoonfull of powder through the funnel, and level it off the top, then seat the bullet. Its a compressed load. Think I'm loading them to 2.7" OAL from base to tip. I was scared at first to shoot them as it was a little while ago and I was still fairly new at reloading. I never knew compressed loads were ok to shoot. Its no big deal these days, just brings back memories...

Quote:
223 cal 52gr Sierra boat tail hollow point
29.3 gr Hodgdon H380 powder
WSR primers
Cases trimmed and bullet seated to 2.15" OAL to cycle through the AR
Screaming at 4153 fps over the chrony

does this seem right?

Giving the guy the benifit of a possible error...but,
Somethings wrong.
A 223WSSM can get 4000ft/sec with H380 but it takes 46 grains and that is shooting a 45 grain bullet.

So I was thinking, maybe the 223 portion is a typo and it is a 243. Nope.
You can get 55 grains bullets up to 4000ft/sec, but again it takes 51 grains of powder.

From Hodgdon's website:
"This was an unnamed spherical rifle propellant when the late Bruce Hodgdon first used it. When a 38.0 grain charge behind a 52 grain bullet gave one hole groups from his 22 caliber wildcat (now called the 22-250), he appropriately named the powder H380. H380 is also a superb performer in the 220 Swift, 243, 257 Roberts and other fine varmint cartridges."
http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html

Interestingly enough even in a 22-250 with 38 grains of powder the velocity is only 3500ft/sec with that magic 52 grain bullet.

Maybe the original post was a typo and they meant 3153 ft/sec? That's not too hard to obtain but I've never seen load data for the 223 and H380.

Quote:
223 cal 52gr Sierra boat tail hollow point
29.3 gr Hodgdon H380 powder
WSR primers
Cases trimmed and bullet seated to 2.15" OAL to cycle through the AR
Screaming at 4153 fps over the chrony

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No Way Jose'!!!
Even the 220 Swift won't shoot 52 grain bullets that fast. The guy posting that is a mental case, a con artist, a phoney.

Martyn

You have to love the internet, 4k with 50's in the 223....that's laughable at best. 3700+ is doable in my 223AI w/50's and I hit 3900+ w/40's. My kimber 22-250 "only" runs the 50's at 3850 and you just can't beat case capacity.

Quote:
Chrongraph error or just a BS story. If Chrono is too close to muzzle or the sun is quartering to directly behind you and fairly low on the horizon. What happens is the first skyscreen triggers off the shadow of the muzzle blast. RR

This is exactly right. Happens more than you think. A month or so ago someone on this very forum was thinking that his 4" barrelled .44 Mag was able to get 2100 fps shooting 180 grain bullets out it because he saw that spike on his chrono that was too close to his muzzle. I have had to move my own chrony out a yard or two further at times when shooting some of my boomers to keep from getting false readings.

Witha 52 grain bullet I can't even get close to that velocity out of my 223 Ackley Improved or even my 22-250! Hodgdon does not recommend H380 as a powder to be used for that bullet weight, either.

I'll have to side with everyone else.

Some guys think people are dumb enough to believe anything.

The other night my wife and I were having dinner with two other families. In the middle of the meal, one of the guys looks my right in the eye and tells me he is getting 3800fps out of his 270wsm shooting a 140g bullet. I just smiled and said, "sounds impressive" and got another piece of chicken.

Take it for what it's worth. I got these off of reloadersnest.com

LoadID 3269
Bullet V Max
Bullet Weight 40 grs
Powder Viht N 120
Powder Weight 24 grs
Primer Rem 7 1/2 BR
Brass Make Lake City
Barrel Length 26 (inches)
C.O.L 1.875 (inches)
Velocity 4000 fps
Group 100 yds .5 (inches)
Submitted By coyotekory
Gun Info Ruger M77MKIIVT
Comment Favorite load for over 10 years. The velocity does vary from rifle to rifle( between 3900 and 4100), also work up to this. I have fired over 2000 rounds of this load myself and reloaded more than 10000 rounds for others, all with extraordinary results. These velocities are unheard of for a 223, but these have been fired over 4 different chronographs, as I did not believe it myself. pressure signs are good, with primers flattening some.

Bullet V max
Bullet Weight 40 grs
Powder Vihtavuori N 120
Powder Weight 24 grs
Primer Rem 7 1/2
Brass Make Remington
Barrel Length 24 (inches)
C.O.L (inches)
Velocity 4100 fps
Group 100 yds .5 (inches)
Submitted By KLK
Gun Info Ruger M77MKIIVMTSS
Comment I load 10 to 20 thousandths off the lands. Load is safe and extremely accurate.

Quote:
Take it for what it's worth. I got these off of reloadersnest.com

Now there's a reliable source.

Quote:
"... pressure signs are good, with primers flattening some.

-

The the dictionary definition of "oxymoron" is...

"Main Entry: ox·y·mo·ron

Function: noun

Etymology: Late Greek oxymoron, from neuter of oxymoros pointedly foolish, from Greek oxys sharp, keen, moros foolish
Date: 1657

A combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness) - broadly, something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements
— ox·y·mo·ron·ic"

ergo -

"... pressure signs are good, with primers flattening some." qualifies as an oxymoron.

You do not get flat primers with "good" pressure signs.

"C.O.L 1.875 (inches)
Velocity 4000 fps"

Amazing to get that velocity with the bullet buried in the case!!!! I think we can discount this report.

Jack

We all have .223's. We all load for our .223's. None of us are dangerous to the point of attempting to get 4,000 fps from our .223's. Sounds like this guy will die trying...literally.

Quote:
It doesn't say it is a .223 Rem. Could he have meant that it was a .223 cal out of some wildcat caliber?

It's not about if it is a wildcat... you cannot get ~4,000 fps with 29gr of powder in ANY case, using safe pressures (under 60Kpsia) and normal barrels.

Larger cases with more powder can't get that speed - you don't get that fast with a 52gr bullet until you are at the upper limits of the Swift and the 22-250.

That's just the way it is.

Gee Cat maybe he shoots it out of the front of a airplane traveling at 1200 fps. Or was that out of the back of a bus? Just a thought!!

Back