4000+ fps .223 load?

crowpopper

223 cal 52gr Sierra boat tail hollow point
29.3 gr Hodgdon H380 powder
WSR primers
Cases trimmed and bullet seated to 2.15" OAL to cycle through the AR
Screaming at 4153 fps over the chrony

does this seem right? a guy posted a nasty pic of a yote he practically blew in half and the posted this load
it seems kinda high but i dont know howw to figure out if thats what he would get
just curious here
thanks for anyone who can help me with this myth

My friend gets 4120fps out of his with a 22" barrel. I'm not sure of the specs on the load. And, it's not showing high pressures

When any of you guys are getting 4000+ fps from a 223 and we are shooting together, would you remind me so that I can get a half-mile down the road.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chronograph error or just a BS story. If Chrono is too close to muzzle or the sun is quartering to directly behind you and fairly low on the horizon. What happens is the first skyscreen triggers off the shadow of the muzzle blast. RR

Even a 40 grain bullet would be pushing it to get 4000fps at reasonable pressures. I'll bet it was a chronograph error as well.

Okay....let's take it step by step.

With a 52 grain Sierra BTHP seated at 2.15", 29.3 grains of H380 is compressing this charge by 22%. I have occasionally compressed 10%, but that's about it. I don't think you can actually compress a load by 22%. So...I'll throw the flag on this load for no other reason than this.

Next.....Even if you could scrunch this much of this powder into this case, with this bullet seated to this depth, from a 26" barrel you'd get only ~3650 fps, according to QuickLoad. Now, QuickLoad certainly isn't perfect, but, OTOH, this is a far cry from 4150 fps, and QL is never off (even on a really, really bad day)by anywhere near this much. Maybe, at worst, 200 fps, but not 500.

Keep in mind, the 3650 is from a 26" barrel. Coming from the typical length AR barrel, it'd likely be 150-200 feet slower than that.

Now...with this COAL and a 100% casefill of H380, you'll get about 2950 fps...which, BTW, is 24.5 grains.

The guy making this claim either has a faulty chrono, or he's hallucinating.

4100 + fps from a .223 Rem with any 50+ grain bullet at all isn't going to happen with any powder, much less H380.

Mike

Its BS
Tell who ever it is to go blow sunshine up someone else back side. Hes so full of crap his eyes are probably brown.

H-380 is a great powder, for only the heavy weights in 223, nothing lighter than 65 gr or so. Problem is its a bit on the slow side for light bullets. Look it up, with a 40 grain bullet max load is 29 grains and book velocity is a meager 3120fps.

With a 52 it gets better, 28.5 max load with 3133 FPS.

That my friends is about a 1000 fps short of his claim. I knew it was BS when I read it, I have shot H380 with heavy bullets and its not to bad, thats where it catches up to some of the other powders, but not with light bullets it falls way short.

thanks for input guys i thought i hadnt lost my mind yet although my wife would dissagree as ive been out hunting in this extreme cold 5-15 below for the past 3 nights lol
i posted those hunts in th huntin in east page if interested
ok off topic here lol back on track that seemed high my .223 loads are going 3200 and i think thats high with 55 gr ballistic tips but what do i know lol

4150fps w/52g out of a .223 rem?? No freaking way...

You wouldn't even see that velocity with a 40g coming out of a .223.

The guys blowing smoke up your a$$ or the crono is off a few hundred FPS.

BTW-I've shot more then a few coyotes with a 220 swift and 40g VLC's at 4400fps and .243 w/55g NBT's at 4100fps and neither of them came even remotely come close to "blowing them in half". The most they ever did was leave about a 3-4" splash entrance wound.

You'd never get the penetration needed to blow a coyote in half with those little itty bitty frangible bullets going that fast.

Quote:
my .223 loads are going 3200 and i think thats high with 55 gr ballistic tips but what do i know lol

No, that's a good load. When I use 55 grain VMaxes in my .223 Rem for pdogs, I push them to 3250 fps with H322. Even over hot summertime dogtowns, I've never experienced a hint of a pressure problem with this load. Your 3200 fps load should be fine.

Mike

i am using 26.3 gr of RL-15 and the load my local gunshop owner gave me said that that was max and thats where it shoots best anything over and it starts to open up again as well as anything under

"With a 52 grain Sierra BTHP seated at 2.15", 29.3 grains of H380 is compressing this charge by 22%. I have occasionally compressed 10%, but that's about it. I don't think you can actually compress a load by 22%. So...I'll throw the flag on this load for no other reason than this."

Not to sure how much this load is compressed out of my .243. Maybe you math guys could figure it out.

The load I was talking about in my .243 w/55g nbt's at 4050fps was with literally a FULL case of H-380.

I dont even weigh the amount, just fill it till its full, scrape the top off level and seat a bullet. This is not a max load according to noslers book. I coudln't get enough of it in, so thats why/how I do it with that particular combo. The bullets haven't ever came out of the case, and they shoot .5"-.75" at 100 yards at 4050fps out of a Ruger MK2 .243 w/22" tube.

I did get my custom .223 to crack the 4000fps mark, but it was with an over max load of H335 a 40gr sierra HP and a stupid long 28" barrel. I have a hard time believing you could get a 52gr pill over 4000 out of a .223 with a AR length barrel.

Quote:
The load I was talking about in my .243 w/55g nbt's at 4050fps was with literally a FULL case of H-380.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have an old style M77 in 6MM. I shoot 53 grains of H-380 and 55gr BT's. Same here the case is full to the bottom of the neck at least, might be half way up I cant really remember. Mine chrony out at 4080 average over a 5 shot group.

Back