Hunting coyotes with greyhounds.

There are guys I respect that hunt with dogs. I like watching guys use a decoy dog....that is the way it is supposed to be. A dog, a coyote. The coyote has a sporting chance. He may come in, he may not. His choice. Wile E. running for his life is just that, him running for his life.

I guess it is way to much to hope for, hoping that 20 coyotes would form a pack, and kick the living [beeep] out of 5 or 6 of these greyhounds.

Here in Oklahoma, if you see a dog on your property, they are fair game. I have killed many numerous dogs that were chasing livestock, and I have never had to pay a single cent to the dogs owner.

Coon hunters who use 1 or 2 dogs are fine. Bird Hunters are fine, people who use decoy dogs are fine. It is the slob hunters who can not abide by the fair chase laws is what I have a problem with. Animals deserve a quick painless death. I fail to see how being killed by 5 or 6 dogs is quick, or painless. Why do you think dog fighting was outlawed....it is only one vs one. Nothing quick or painless about that sport...I assure you.

Holly I think you just want to fuss. Come out to Beckham Custer, Roger mills,Woods or Woodward county. and shoot one of there dogs and see what happens. The would tear your HEAD off and hand it to you. You live in town and a good place for you,with your 10 acers. You'll never get it and I for one don't have the time. So when it snows you can drive the country roads and pot shoot quail. That's real real sporting. I hope you get caught.

Cdenton....glad you don't know anything about me.....cause you are dead wrong....about everything you just posted.

I do go out to Beckham county, my wife is from there....they own quite a bit of land there...and yes, I have shot dogs on their land. I spent some of my childhood in a city, in Custer county to be exact, but most of it was spent roaming over thousands of acres in SE Oklahoma, all owned by us.

I am sure there are people out there that can kick my tail, they are welcome to try.... I deal with them daily in my work. Everyone gets treated equal until they prove themselves as idiots.

I don't live on any acreage here in Stillwater. I live smack dab in town. I do go back home or to my inlaws places regularly though.

I won't get the slob mentality...your right. I am glad you won't try and explain it to me...cause it would be the same thing as putting lipstick on a pig.

I don't break any game laws. It wouldn't be ethical or sportsman like, and I would be fired from my job. Also, I prefer dove to quail. Dove are more fun to shoot, since they come to you.

A word of caution to you CDenton. Before you start attacking someone on here personally, you might wanna find out if they can afford a plane ticket to where you live.....in case they show up knocking on your door. Everyone is big on the internet....some are big in real life. Quite a few folks know me here, and I have been here for several years. My record can and will speak for itself...I respectfully request you stop the personal attack.

Obviously a touchy subject. Some very good points. A better place probably would have been the Hound forum. Nothing wrong with lively debate. I can promise no minds will be changed though. Please make an effort at keeping the discussion civil. Don't want to see it tailspin.

Thanks fellas

Quote:
Sorry Rayb but your analogy of a coyote outnumbered by greyhounds is no less unsporting than wearing camoflauge does not fly .

My point was what you consider sporting and what others consider sporting are different. That's all. Doesn't make either of you right or wrong.

Quote:
So why do "sporting events" have teams of equal numbers.

Because the object of the "game" is to have a fair contest to determine a winner, not to kill your opponent.

Quote:
All the things you mention that may be considered non sporting by some(such as camo,scopes,coverscent,etc.) are probably not considered unsporting by anyone here.

True enough, not even me. My point was that they are an advantage just like turning out multiple hounds.

Quote:
You are simply trying to defend something you do with some very thin and unrelated arguments.

Again, I don't hunt coyotes with dogs, only hogs. I will defend all hound hunters though if they hunt within the law.

Quote:
So if you had one greyhound you would turn it out on a group of eight coyotes and consider the results "sporting."

No, I wouldn't. Why would anybody? The object is to kill the coyote, not see if your dog is tougher than him. Same as hogs, I turn out as many dogs as I think necessary to catch and hold the hog. I'm not in the woods to be "sporting". I'm there to kill by whatever legal advantage I can get. The difference in what I do and some coyote hound hunters is the kill. Our dogs hold the pig while we kill it, usually with a knife. The reason for multiple dogs on coyotes is the quickness of the kill. More dogs means an advantage and a quicker death. It's brutal. It's bloody. It's hard to watch for some. But it gets the job done with the least amount of danger to the hounds.

Quote:
Do as you wish but you will need better arguments to sway me.

Not trying to sway you, just hoping to get you to have an open mind. We need to stick together, all hunters, all methods. On the same note, we need to report hunters who are breaking the laws and rid ourselves of the undesireables.

Good day.

Hello Jeff! Long time since I've gotten to Stillwater & we chatted. I hope all is well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I also hope I haven't offended you. It wasn't my intention to offend anyone. And Ihave a great deal of respect for you & your opinions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

That being said, I know there are quite a few greyhound hunters in Okieland. I see their trucks everywhere I go, from Pond Creek to Tulsa. It's only an assumption, but I'd be surprised to learn there aren't any in the Stillwater area.
I'm not trying to change your mind. Like I say, I respect your opinion. However, I wonder if you've actually ever just sat down & talked to one of these dog hunters. I'm certain, just as in Kansas, not all of these guys are "slob hunters". A few might even hold respectable positions in the world (jobs).
I guess what I'm trying to say is...you are more than welcome to have your opinion & even dislike a form of hunting that seems wrong to you. But, please, don't short-change good people with disrespect, just because of a few bad apples.
Happy hunting, buddy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Tim,
I too, always need to explain myself when asking for permission. Especially after some folks hear my last name. They automatically assume they are talking to my Dad.

And yes, in some areas dog hunting is becoming "old-school" & as the older guys "retire" from it, no new guys take up the mantle. For the reasons you stated.
Plus any younger guys who are interested in hunting coyotes, are quickly learning it's a lot more financially efficient to learn how to use calls & a rifle.

Thanks Rajn!! I needed me a dose of Jerry Clower! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I surely miss that man, he was a great comic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quote:
Let me hear some of you guys thought on this?

for the last two weekend i have rode with some guys who hunt coyotes with greyhounds. to say the least it is a blast. i have never been on more successful hunts, as numbers go. i think of the two times i went we got around 40 coyotes. lots of races! we probably saw near 70 coyotes.

so you know what that means, wheels are turing in my head...... my own greyhounds, hunting wagon, dog box..........oh no /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shoot me a PM sometime.... I'd kinda like to see this done.

J. Holly,
don't threaten me that you may show up at my house. I don't care if you can afford a plane ticket or not. I don't play that game. If you want to come to Las Vegas, Nevada, buy yourself a ticket. I'll pick you up at the airport. We'll hunt a spell. If you are what you say are, you ought to be fired. What is the personal attack that has you threatening me?
CDENTON

J.HOLLY,
If you show up in Las Vegas, just so you know what I look like, I am about 5'7", 135 lbs and very good looking.
CDENTON

And here is a pic of Jeff so you two wont miss each other as your walking arond the airport. Jeff will be the guy with the opossum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
motelpossum03.jpg

Quote:
A word of caution to you J.Holly, before you start threatening me and my family over the internet, you might want to find out who you are dealing with. I have made photocopies of this entire post. I have also contacted a very long-time friend of mine that works for the OSBI. I am sure you are familiar with them. He is very interested. Just because you have a badge, doesn't mean you are above the law. Threats to my family will not be tolerated.

This was received by myself in a PM from CDenton....I have nothing to hide, nor did I make any threats to anyone. I merely stated that one needs to be careful on the internet, as sometimes people get a bit touchy, and could find their way to another persons city of residence. Here is my quote, verbatim:

Quote:
A word of caution to you CDenton. Before you start attacking someone on here personally, you might wanna find out if they can afford a plane ticket to where you live.....in case they show up knocking on your door. Everyone is big on the internet....some are big in real life. Quite a few folks know me here, and I have been here for several years. My record can and will speak for itself...I respectfully request you stop the personal attack.

I want you to become familiar with another term though.

Libel and Slander: Your quote that follows is a perfect example.

Quote:
So when it snows you can drive the country roads and pot shoot quail. That's real real sporting. I hope you get caught.

Now, since I am not truly a letigious person, I am now telling you, drop the personal attacks....on here and via PM's.

Mods, you might want to chime in here, and explain the TOS to the new guy.

How about this? Lets stay on topic and stop responding directly to one another? Problem solved! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back