bobcat wieghts and prices?

Jacob_Hanan

i have sold several cats in the past month or soo and have not got what i thought i would be getting. i have sold 3 that wiegh over 30 pounds, really i wieghed them. one was 39 pounds. the guys at the fur sale said it was one of the biggest ones they have ever seen. i got 125 for it and 85 for the other two 30 pounders. i got 10 buck a piece for 4 normal sized cats, no holes in fur and good fur. what do you guys think of this?

CONGRATS on the 39 pounder, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif what do ya'll feed them things down there? lead?

I don't know where you sell but $10 sounds a little short but I'm not the one to judge them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Pet the cats, is the fur course like a dog or soft like a rabbit? We have had mild weather here in Oklahoma this year and my cat I caught this weekend wasn't quite as soft as I thought it would be. I was told buy the guy I sell to that the red summer hair should be replaced buy the grey and black fur that gets so soft and thick for the winter.

I hear what was a 125 cat last year is a 100 cat this year. I sold a couple of 30 pounders last year for 150 so 125 dont sound too far off.

Where they whole cats or skins? I've seen skins go cheaper if they weren't done quite like the buyer wants them so I just freeze 'em and forget 'em, but thats what works for me.

It's all about fur color phase and prime winter pelts. I've been told by many fur buyers over the years that the high doller cats come out of the west. For example, one of my hunting partners sold around 25 bobcats last season. All of these cats came out of the Mojave desert. His best ones brought in $400.00 and on down. This buyer is locaited in Ventura Ca so my friend takes them up in person. While there, the buyer showed him some cats that this buyer bought at auction In Wyoming, maby Colorado not shure. The buyer paid 500.00 600.00 for the largest cats. The Color phase on these cats were like the ones taken out of the Mojave, only larger. A 26, 27 pound cat is a big one here in So Cal. Might be prices are down this year. Could be a combination of things.
Grizz

I think you're selling too early. Hold onto them a little longer. The prices "usually" get better in latter February and into March. If you don't need the money, this might be a good year to skin, flesh and put them in the freezer until next year.

Jacob, I'll echo what turn and grizz said. I sold my cats this weekend and posted the prices on your other topic of selling bobcats in Oklahoma. I got 125 tops for one big male to 20 for a small female. It is all about the color of the fur. He took me into his trailer and showed me what he liked and didn't like. He wants light colored fur, anything that is dark or reddish; especially the belly fur; will drop prices dramatically. So size matters somewhat, but it is all about the color. The lighter the better. He also showed me a female that looked like she still had been nursing and said these cats will not bring much so it is best just to release them.

I was thinking the same thing Mason mentioned.I figured that they would be worth more later on in the season.I dont know for sure but I've always heard your supposed to catch bobcats late in the season and raccoons and such early in the season.Anyone else ever heard that before?

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing Mason mentioned.I figured that they would be worth more later on in the season.I dont know for sure but I've always heard your supposed to catch bobcats late in the season and raccoons and such early in the season.Anyone else ever heard that before?

Thats the same thing i have all ways been told chase the coons early when they den up and start peeing on them self there belly gets yellow. When you start seeing that start chaseing the cats. The later on cats have better pelts the fur is longer on the backs.

Back