Tanner South's big HAWG!! (action pics)

Byron South

A good friend of mine has some feeders out that are attracting lots of wild hogs. These hogs have been hunted pretty hard and are strictly nocturnal. This same friend also has a nice crossbow and I recently got my hands on some cool night vision optics. Tanner and I decided it would be cool to set up this crossbow with the NV and try for a big hog. I've also got a NV devise that will fit in front of my camera lens and allow me to film the entire hunt in total darkness. Pretty cool stuff.

This is Tanner (9 years old) sighting in the NV compatible EOTech.
11-2.jpg

After just a few shots he could consistantly put the broadhead in the ten ring everytime at 20 yards.
12-1.jpg

This is a picture of the crossbow with the NV attached (PVS-14 3rd gen)
13-2.jpg

This is the stand we hunted from. It is exactly 20 yards from the feeder.
7-5.jpg

Stand by. More pictures, and the rest of the story to come.

Last edited:
We got settled into the stand about 45 minutes before dark. About the time it got to dark to see with the naked eye we heard them coming. We were looking for a large boar so Tanner elected to pass on these.

10-4.jpg

Maybe an hour after dark we had had over twenty sows and lot of little piglets come by the feeder when we heard some deep grunting getting closer. Shortly after this big boar comes in to the feeder.

3-6.jpg

Tanner waited for a perfect quartering away shot to avoid his thick grissle plate and angled the crossbow bolt up into his vital with a perfectly placed shot.

4-6.jpg

At the shot they all flushed like a bunch of quail. After about thirty minutes we got down and Tanner blood trailed him like a pro often spotting blood before me. The boar went about 100 yards and was dead as a hammer.

Here is Tanner with his big HAWG!! He weighed 204 pounds.
1-3.jpg

TannersbigHog2.jpg

This was a great hunt that he and I will always remember.

Hope you enjoy the story and pictures,

Good Hunting, and God Bless,

Byron

Last edited:
WoW!! That's a BIG hog! Great job Tanner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Great replay and photos. That bolt is buried to the fletching, eh? That broadhead must have made mince meat of the innards as the boar ran. I see dad may have taken hog, too. WTG!

MMMMMMMMMMM Great work and good eatin.
Great work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

this is tanner, thanks for all your comments i really appreciate them! i had a good time huntin with my dad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-typed by his big sister hannah who won grand champion this weekend showin her calf!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've been waiting since last night for this post to come up. Whoooo Weeee!

Ol Tanner buddy called me up last night after he shot the hog. I was probably more excited than he was. I know I was more excited than he was. The phone rang, I answered and all Tanner said was... "Guess what I shot."

I must have guessed 30 different things all wrong.

I didn't shoot my first hog until I was around 45.
At nine, I was shooting BB guns.

Good job South kids. Looks like it's been a great weekend for both of you! A Grand hog and Grand Champion calf. It doesn't get any better than that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Alright TANNER!!!! That thing is huge almost as big as a truck. How did you get him out the woods? Was your heart beating fast when you saw the big one...I know mine would be. Tell everyone hello at the South household for me. Maybe we can hunt together in a couple weeks.

Thanks everybody,

Uncle Jay,

Wish you could have been here. Remember you were with me and dad when I shot my first coyote.

Mr.Rod,

We drug him out. Took three grown men to put him in the back of dads truck. Yes, my heart was pounding hard. See you in a couple of weeks.

Tanner, (typed by Dad)

Hannah says THANKS too.

That is awesome stuff!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I smiled through the entire post.

Tanner, Wtg on be patient and getting the perfect shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Hanna, Grand Champion? WOW thats awesome! Last time I was close to cattle, I was ready for them to chase me. Your dad knows what I mean by that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

In Christ,

Song Dog

Byron,
That is outstanding. I have all of your vids. and I remember the one where you had Tanner along with the facemask on and he was bout 5 or 6.. OUTSTANDING Tanner
Byron, you really have a great family. Your buddy in Pennsylvania, Petejc (PSP Ret) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Cool under pressure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. Way to go Tanner. Awesome shot placement. Very nice hog for a hunter of any age. Congrats to you as well Hanna for your Grand Champion calf. You have every right to be proud Byron. Keep up the good work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Wow...amazing. That boy is one lucky kid. Not just to have shot a boar like that but just the chance to get out and enjoy the hunt. I know you do it for fun and a living but good on you for getting the kids behind the trigger. I sit here typing away with my brand new baby girl (6 days old) hoping she would like to share a stand with me some day.

Thanks for posting.

Back