Gerlch area

RTLOF18918B

Hey guys,

As I told you in an earlier post that the wife and I were going to go up around Gerlach to go yote hunting. She has been after me for a couple of weeks now. So, since we are both over the colds and the weather is supposed to be great tomorrow, we'll be off like a dirty shirt. Wish us luck. She is taking her new Rem 700 SPS and hopes to blood it. She'll have first shot at whatever.

RTLOF(TONY) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good luck! Let us know how it's looking out there, as a local I'm starting to consider working the areas a little further from town... Did a few seasons of deer hunting up in northern Washoe county but never tried for any dogs up there.

When you hit Gerlach go toward Wall Canyon Reservoir and try that country. Eagleville, Cedarville and Hooterville are in CA. But that is some good places to try. Another good area to try is the Westside of Pyramid. Go North until you hit the Railroad Tracks and cross them and turn imediately left and follow that road back in there.

There are lots of areas to hunt in that area, problem is they are hunted hard and heavy every week.
You need to put in some miles to get off the beatin path to get to areas not under hunting pressure.
Good luck.

Quote:
There are lots of areas to hunt in that area, problem is they are hunted hard and heavy every week.
You need to put in some miles to get off the beatin path to get to areas not under hunting pressure.
Good luck.

I go up to Cedarville at my pals ranch every March for the squirrel shoot and just about every area along the hwy usually has campers in it out hunting dogs or ATVing.
I cut up from I80 through the Gerlach area.
You are right, you need to get back deeper. There are dogs, but you will need to hike for them usually.
You can also stop at just about any ranch there and most will let you shoot those belden rats or call coyotes.
Some farmers dont want you to shoot the coyotes or bobcats as they do eat those other more damaging belden ground squirrels & badgers.

Hey guy,

Took the trip today. Went up to Burro Mountain and turned left and ended up at Robbers Roost right on the Ca. line.
We made several stands north of Sand Pass on the east side of the Flanagan Mountains. Saw quite a few track but they were old tracks. I didn't expect to see much as I know this area is hunted hard. Didn't see a dog all day long. The wife got to see alot of beautiful country and a bald eagle.
She had fun with the calling and even picked out a couple of promising spots. The main thing is that the wife had fun and wants to back there and other places also. She wasn't discouraged and said her day will come. We sure have a good time out looking for them wether we find yote or not.

All in all it was a good day. We are going to a different area next weekend.

RTLOF(TONY) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I don't know anything about it. If it is Indian property,
then the Indians can do as much as they please. Don't step on their toes as you will be in a world of hurt. They don't mess around. Fair or unfair. It all stems from the treaties of the 1800's. Laws are pretty complicated. I just pass through a reservation and don't stop and mind my P's and Q's. About the best advise I can give.

Tony /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
I don't know anything about it. If it is Indian property,
then the Indians can do as much as they please. Don't step on their toes as you will be in a world of hurt. They don't mess around. Fair or unfair. It all stems from the treaties of the 1800's. Laws are pretty complicated. I just pass through a reservation and don't stop and mind my P's and Q's. About the best advise I can give.

Tony /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

+1, respect them & follow the law out there.

Quote:
turned left and ended up at Robbers Roost right on the Ca. line.

I know where you was. Did you see many jackrabbits out there?

t/c223encore.

Quote:
Quote:
turned left and ended up at Robbers Roost right on the Ca. line.

I know where you was. Did you see many jackrabbits out there?

t/c223encore.

We saw 1 jackrabbit on the first stand. There were tracks everywhere though. Would probably make for some fun night shooting If it were legal in Washoe County. To bad.

RTLOF(TONY) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A few years ago me and a friend would walk miles around smoke creek with our 22's and get 15 or 20 in a day (and see 40). I also know of a spot, if the fence didn't keep goin past it, where you can pick up quartz crystals right on the ground.

t/c223encore.

Have any of you guys tried around the Humbolt River between Lovelock and Winnemucca. My sons and I have been thinking about trying that area for a change.

I've tried the area you're talking about but I did it in the 70s when a guy could get 8 or 10+ coyotes along the Humbolt. I wouldn't bet any money that the area is that good anymore. Nowadays Winnemucca and Lovelock both have there share of coyote callers, but why not give it a shot.....Good luck

Quote:
Have any of you guys tried around the Humbolt River between Lovelock and Winnemucca. My sons and I have been thinking about trying that area for a change.

Don't bother. lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I've hunted it almost everyday for 3 months + most of the land against the river is locally owned. Bagged 42 dogs north of Lovelock to Imaly since mid Oct and there are 4 local guys that trap the ones I educate.

Another good area is south of Lovelock all the way to the sink (put up another 17 coyotes calling here and caught a few trapping). This area has lots of fences and is somewhat private but very accessible. For the most part its cleaned out by the first of Dec. I have been hunting out by the Stillwater range lately and of matter of fact today out by Gerlach as not many venture out that far this time of year.

Don't get me wrong, have at it. We have dozens of coyote hunters come every weekend from Reno and California so come during the week if you want any action at all otherwise you'll just be part of the carnival. PM me and I could point you in the right direction with the landowners but the valley is pretty much cleaned out this year. And the ones still alive know every sound that Foxpro makes but there pups won't next year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good luck and happy hunting.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Edit to add some photos.

I took som pics while scouting for cats today and I thought they turned out nice. Everybody likes pictures right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

DSCF4899.jpg

DSCF4903.jpg

DSCF4902.jpg

Last edited:
Back