Need some tips on sewing and holes.

williamwjohnson

Do you want to sew up holes before fleshing or after? What do you use to sew it up? What if the yote has pink crouch? Do I cut it out or treat it with something? I usually sell my animals on carcass, but I shot one where I had to skin it and need to take care of it. Thanks for the help.

I always sew the holes up after the fleshing process.I use fishing line to sew up the holes in the critters I skin.I heard of people using dental floss as well but I've never tryed it.
Not sure about the other question.Someone else might have some info on that.

I sew mine after fleshing also. I use waxed dental floss. Trim the holes so they're like an elongated oval....sorta like a football shape. I find that helps to keep the skin from bunching up. I wouldn't trim the crotch. Thin crotch or too much cut out of it; either way you're gonna get a deduction. Might as well save yourself the work.

My dad and i years ago had an old washing machine and we washed them with if i rember right bleach pretty sure it was bleach. those dogs came out looking good 10 times better then they did. Made the pelts pretty as could be. Then we gave them a bath in regular water after. Even if you put it in a wash tub and had wash it and let it soak for a while you will be amazed how much it helps bring the color out and lighten them dogs up. He all ways got prime money for his furs. Even the not so good yotes would bring more then they should of after he washed them. But it really makes them look good. [beeep] the price of fur give it a try no more then i have heard them bringing cant hirt to much and then you will know. Hope this helps

Grizz here.
I flesh first. I've got some S shaped 3 edge needles they use for post mortum work. With the S shape, you can keep a good grip on the needle. Had them for so long I can't remember where I got them. I'll take a length of plain
dental floss string it though the needle then tie a knot. Now the floss is doubled up. Then I take a piece of bees wax
and wax the floss so the two strands bond together. Baseball stitch. Another trick after the pelts are completly dry. Brush them out with a dog brush then spinkle
on plain corn starch. Rub it thruogh the hair real good, then shake the pelt to get rid of the excess. This seperates
the individual strands of hair and makes that fur light up.
You will be amazed. Rick

Back