Barrel twist on 6mmbr?????????

philip

I`m ordering a Dakota predator in 6mmbr..

Primary use will be a prarie dog/squirrel gun..

I`m wanting to use the 87gr. and smaller bullets(75,65gr.) what twist would you get for this application????

I`m thinking 1 in 10....

Thanks,

Phil.

Quote:
I`m ordering a Dakota predator in 6mmbr..

Primary use will be a prarie dog/squirrel gun..

I`m wanting to use the 87gr. and smaller bullets(75,65gr.) what twist would you get for this application????

I`m thinking 1 in 10....

Thanks,

Phil.

Yup... you will need a 10" twist for the 87gr.

Quote:
Check out the 75 grain Hornady Vmax. Think you will like it. I use a 12 twist.

If he orders the gun with a 12" twist, he can't use the 87 V-Max...

If he get a 10" twist, he can shoot the 87, 75, 65, and 58 V-Maxs...

Why would you recommend the 12" twist?

I had 6br built in 1-10. I would do it again if all you are going to shoot is varmint bullets (only VLD bullets need faster). I never did get the 87's to shoot great but the 75 & 65gr vmax's shoot like house o fire through my 1-10.

Not recommending a 12 twist. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Was recommending the 75 grain vmax for the 6br. Especially if it is a PD gun. Lots of instant visual gratification, if you know what I mean. Shoots bug holes in my gun.

You won't be happy with the lack of air time on the 87g V max.

You will be happy with the 65g v max up to 400 and the 75g v max for the 500 yd stuff. If you are not shooting very tiny groups with these two bullets, then try the 70g Sierra Blitz king...holy cow...they should be named "Blow'em up speicails".

AA2300 and H335 are awesome with the 65's at 3650-3700 in a 26" barrel.

I make mine 1-12.

If you are not getting air time on p.dogs, might as well stay home and shoot targets....same thing, only differnt.

I really hate the high arc, rainbow trajectories on a heavy bullet shot out of a 6 BR on dogs. I miss more from shooting over and under with the heavier bullets than I ever did from missing from the wind. You get very little air time with the heavier bullets, and what you do get is a lot of crawlers.

You have got to do your own thing and find out what you do not like.

Quote:
You won't be happy with the lack of air time on the 87g V max.

You will be happy with the 65g v max and the 75g v max for the longer range stuff.

AA2300 and H335 are awesome with the 65's at 3650-3700 in a 26" barrel.

What he said.

I shoot the 65gr V-Maxs out of a 26" barrel w/14" twist and it scatters pieces parts all over the place, and is by no means a limit for long shots.

I use H322 for 3550fps (My rifle didn't like the 335 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Catshooter, I have a brand new 6 BR in the shop 1-12 twist Lilja, 28" long, zero freebore. I hope to get it in the stock tomorrow. I'm going to see if it likes 335 and 2230....you don't know, till you know. What ever it likes is what I will like. I too have never had a 6 BR that did not like H322 with the lighter bullets.

A buddy of mine is shooting the 55's at 3850, safely without wrecking his lapua brass with AA2230.

I got the 1-12 twist lilja because I found a deal on it, and justified it by:

some of the longer bullets that I shoot on a .900 jacket. Also, the 70g Blitz king can be kinda iffy in a 14 twist if it in fact ends up a 1-14.5 twist by mistake. That sounds like reason enough to buy a barrel, eh?

I'm not excessive compulsive, just extremely well focused.

Quote:
"... some of the longer bullets that I shoot on a .900 jacket. Also, the 70g Blitz king can be kinda iffy in a 14 twist if it in fact ends up a 1-14.5 twist by mistake. That sounds like reason enough to buy a barrel, eh?

I have shot the 70gr BK in a 14" and it's "OK" for 300 yd woodchucks, but not really accurate enough for small critters like long range crows, or PDs.

The 65gr V-Max shoots in the 2's (when I do my part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) on calm days.

Quote:
I'm not excessive compulsive, just extremely well focused.

Thank you - My first out loud laugh of the day, and I haven't even had any coffee yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-

Skeets - the 10" will stabilize the 87gr V-Max (and other bullets the same length) easily.

Back