Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Press Kit

VaPredHunter

I just ordered this kit what are your thoughts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I know its not the best but I was thinking its a good place to start with out spending a lot and it seem to have good reviews /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. I've been thinking about reloading for a while and you all have finally talked me in to it. I'm sure I'll have a lots of stupid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifquestions as I get started so thanks in advance. Chris,

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=121744&t=11082005

Last edited:
I have been very satisfied with the one I bot last year. I do like the RCBS hand primer shape much better though. The round container on the Lee makes it interesting when placing primers housed in a square box without spilling them. I have reloaded close to 1000 rounds with mine and have not had any issues yet. I just finished full length sizing another 1000 .223 brass this evening. I did add a Lee Zip Trim for prepping brass which has been a great addition. The powder dispenser, once setup, throws very consistently. It does have a "plastic" feel and is not as nice as a RCBS or Hornady for example, but works for it's intended use. The breech locks are great! Pick up a set for all the dies you own, you won't be disappointing. I think you will enjoy the setup.

I will load your shells fine. I really like the press I still use one along with a hornady press. It is a great kit to start with, if you see you like reloading you can always upgrade, but you don5 havew to. The powder dispencer is very accurate. The hand primer works fine it also comes with its own shell holders which is great. You wont be dissapointed with it.

I started with that kit and still use it today. With Lee collet dies they will load some great ammo. My .038 and .223 match ammo that I load on the Lee shoots very well.

I will probably get flamed for this, but I like the Lee breach lock Challenger press a little more than my RCBS Rock Chucker. The RCBS is a beast and will last several lifetimes and the Lee may only last one lifetime, LOL!

The scale looks like a toy but mine is accurate. The powder measure will throw consistant charges of Varget when my Hornady binds up.

I would suggest getting a used (eBay) Forster case trimmer. The Lee trimmer is ok, but the Forster or the L.E. Wilson is 100 times better.

Get the Lee kit with some Lee collet dies and have some fun!

I have the lee anviversary kit with the regular challenger press that I bought few years ago. Been very pleased with it I load 222 rem and 7rem mag on it and use thier scale and powder measure now. I was also leary of the scale and powder measure being plastic but as others mentioned both are very accurate.
I bought it so I could leave my rcbs rockchucker set up with the piggyback progressive kit for pistol pain in the butt to change back and forth.
Justin

I've loaded 1000's of rounds with this kit. Their little powder scale is very accurate and easy to set up once you figure it out. I thought I needed an accurate-.02 grain-digital scale at one and bought one but use the Lee scale all the time anyhow. Really a good kit. Dave

You are on your way...I would suggest your next purchase be a digital caliper (home depot or lowes for less than $30) and you are in business .... then, once you get the totally hooked on the hobby and start reloading them 500 or so at a time ... the next time saving and accuracy step will be an electronic scale to save time, which you will then pair with an electronic dumper (RCBS scale dumper combination is what I use, there are others that work just fine too).....but you (with a caliper) have the basics to make good stuff

There are guys on here with a lot more experience on here than me who will help ya, and a lot of basic reloading tips in the historical threads ..... read them and manuals and buy a reloading book, and understand them all and ask questions, it will save you time and keep ya safe. Guys will tell you this, and again I am not an expert by any stretch, but don't start off with max loads...work them up, shoot on paper, find a load your gun(s) like ... in a lot of cases the best load is not the hottest load on the chart. Every gun is diff.

have fun ... I use lee dies, a lee classic cast press, with the primer attachment.

On a side note....I recently broke my Lee Collet Neck Sizing die due to user error .... Sent it in to Lee, without the reciept, told them what I had done....and they emailed me they are fixin and sending back to me, no charge.... don't see that many places these days.

I will take foxxpro up on his offer. "I will load your shells fine." You didn't mention a tip for your services however.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You bought this kit for all the same reasons I did. I just finished my second 50 rounds with it and I'm very happy so far. I went out and shot my first set and tack driving accuracy I was really stoked about how accurate they were. I've been weighing all sorts of stuff, checking and double checking and the scale is very dependable. The only small issue I'm having is the bullet die is knicking my V-max tip if I don't feed it perfectly centered. That is my fault but I notice I have to go slow and be very careful when seating the bullet. For the money I spent it's a heck of a bargain.

Quote:
The only small issue I'm having is the bullet die is knicking my V-max tip if I don't feed it perfectly centered. That is my fault but I notice I have to go slow and be very careful when seating the bullet.

The press should not have nothing to do with that. Try turning the fine adjustment out further, several turns. Then set your die again. You are setting like the instructions say.

Back