calling in the wind

schroeder

It is sleeting and blowing tonight and is supposed to blow 15-20mph tomorrow. I hope the foxpro is loud enough. Has anyone had good luck on cold windy days?

ive seen it done,on movies. Ive been out in all kinds of conditions, but on the windy days i havent ever called anything in. I also am in MI, not south dakota. If theres quite a few dogs in SD, im sure you can call something in.Good luck!

I always have a little better luck with a light wind. It takes your scent away from you and masks your noise setting up.

It was blowing to 72 mph north of here Wednesday, but still about 55* and I still got one to come in, hand calling, only one I got before it got really windy. This was right about 8:03 am also.
He came straight in with the wind blowing down his nose, probably clogged with dust, & stopped at about 75 yds. Went home after taking him due to all the dust & wind.
To get back to my truck I just jumped up and I was blown back to it without touching the ground...:)

On real windy days I head for the thick cover. I don't like real windy conditions but here in Oklahoma you don't have a choice if you want to hunt. One good thing about the wind is you can sneak into some good calling areas. Be ready though. Sometimes I've had them respond immediately.

For the most part not much moves in the wind. Ive hit a few down in the ditches or getting close to them calling stgraight up wind. PRetty much sux tho, always windy where im from tho.

I haven't had very much luck on windy days. Most of my success is on calmer days. Just after a stretch of bad weather when it is calm and warms up a little has been really good. I have been hoping to get out over this full moon phase at night under the moonlight, but it doesn't look good for the forecast.

Back