alternative methods of coyote control

cubeagle

guys, just curious if anyone has any experience or thoughts on setting poison out for coyotes...hunting them is fun, but i have a couple of areas that i need instant control and removal of a large pack of coyotes...this piece of property is near a sheep farm, and the owner is losing 5-10 sheep a year....its too far away from me to hunt it properly and enough...thanks in advance..

Trapping would be a much better alternative.
Poisoning is illegal here & probably is in your state too. You can't control what eats the poison, sure you will probably kill coyotes but you may kill dogs, hawks & other non-target animals.

It's not a good idea in my opinion.

i agree it would...however, as i stated in my post above i'm too far away to hunt, much less check traps daily...the owner is not able to physically trap either...outside his fences, he doesn't care what eats/dies...btw, he owns all surrounding areas outside his fences as well...

i know this is a little taboo, but bottom line is he's wants anything without wool- on his property, out of there...

yes, in this case it is due to the sheep...my biggest concern is finding a substance and a good delivery system...

Sounds like he needs a local trapper. The poison thing leaves me cold, even if it is legal.

how does he care for sheep if he is physically unable to trap or take care of these coyotes in another way?

This is a pretty slobbish way to deal with the matter IMHO

interesting commentary indeed...'slobbish'...nice opinion...if you must know, there is a big difference in watching 50 sheep graze in a 200acre pasture until maturity and calling, hunting, trapping, coyotes...at least it is to a 65yr old man with cancer...how dare he act so 'slobbish'...

I would be hesitant to go the poison route. Remember the farmer that Bush pardoned because his poison killed bald eagles who ate the coyotes? I wouldn't want that to happen to me, even if I was trying to help a friend. Remember that old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished?" There is a lot of truth to that. This just makes me sick. The guy was just trying to get rid of some coyotes, but the eagles ate the poisoned coyotes. To hear the antis tell it, he's worse than a drug dealer or a child rapist. Keep this in mind when you make your decision. Here's one link to the story. This guy was in Missouri, by the way. Killing eagles is a federal offence. He was a convicted felon and had to give up his guns and hunting. It's just not worth it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27987378/

Get hold of someone from USDA, and have him register a complaint. I'm not sure what your state's AG. department would do to help in a sheep predation situation, but the Feds. have helped farmers out here in VA. They use traps and M44's( poison device). An M44 is a baited poison distribution device. The coyote bites the "bait" in an attempt to eat it, and that triggers a small expolsion discharging the poison(ususually a cyanide dirivative) directly into the coyote's mouth. Death usually occurs within a few yards of the contact site. They are very effective, but indiscriminate. Anything that tries to eat this thing will be killed.
M44 sites can and should be checked every day or so to remove dead animals to prevent collateral damage to other wildlife.
Experienced ADC folks can usually set M44'S in such a fashion that coyotes are effectively targeted. Domestic dogs, however, are very susceptable to this device and should be kept from the target area for obvious reasons.
Good luck!
F1

thanks...i had read about the m44's before, it seems interesting...i'll check with the authorities on that...not sure what they require before they administer this type of treatment...he's a friend of mine, and obviously not a big deal compared to most...just trying to help him out...wonder if the old alka seltzer trick will work on them, lol... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GC hit it on the head. I bet he could get 5 local trappers in that property in a day or two by just asking friends and other farmers, hunters etc around his area. Call a gun club and see who traps etc. Trappers would fight over that chance if the yotes are there.

Quote:
GC hit it on the head. I bet he could get 5 local trappers in that property in a day or two by just asking friends and other farmers, hunters etc around his area. Call a gun club and see who traps etc. Trappers would fight over that chance if the yotes are there.

Also fighting over who has to skin them

...wonder if the old alka seltzer trick will work on them, lol...

==========================================================
Alka seltzer just works on seagulls! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
F1

Quote:
I can't see too many trappers breaking their necks to get to some 10-15.00 hides!
F1

Trappers trap for the same reason a hunter hunts. They aren't making a living at it, especially in South Carolina.

Quote:
Quote:
I can't see too many trappers breaking their necks to get to some 10-15.00 hides!
F1

Trappers trap for the same reason a hunter hunts. They aren't making a living at it, especially in South Carolina.

===================================================
That's for sure!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
F1

A local farmer here was having a problem with coyotes and his sheep. He only has about 15 sheep but he solved his problem with one lama. The lama is tough as nails and will attack a coyote. He hasnt had a problem since and its been over 5 years. They are cool animals to watch. That lama sits all day with its 4' long neck straight up looking for predators. He may need more then one lama but it would solve his problem.

Back