Is a 4-16x50 too much scope for a .223 AR calling gun? PIC added!

MnYoteRookie

With a new piece of glass on it's way for my .243 bolt gun, I'm doing a bit of scope swapping... I have a 4-16x50 Mil Dot that needs a home. I was wondering if it's just too much scope for the .223 AR I will sometimes use for calling. The FOV (at 100yds) is 30.6'–7.5', depending on magnafication. It also has a lit reticle...

Typical shots in my neck of the woods would be from 100 to 200 yards. But as we all know, some could be closer, and some much farther out...

My history with optics has been to "over scope" everything. Am I doing it again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
My opinion....yes. I have some big glass on rifles but when I went to an AR for calling(I can see for miles out here), I put a 2-7x33 Luepold on mine. Its all I need. I don't shoot coyotes at 600yds. I save 600yds for the pdogs.

I had a 2.5x16x50MM Elite 6500 on mine. It was too big so I put that scope on my deer rifle. I think a 223 firing AR-15 is a 250 yard coyote rifle with its 20" bbl.

I would use what you have and just leave it on 4 most of the time. You don't have to use the high power unless you are ranging with mildot.

On my bushmaster with a 24" barrel, my 4.5x14x50 is a good fit. It is a heavy rifle, but I don't mind carrying it. It is the only way I work out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If the physical size and weight is the issue, then sure. Change it if you like.

My average shot distance is the same but some much longer. Terrain and vegetation varies around here. If I expect really close action, then the shotgun goes instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The R-15 has a 4.5x14x40 Springfield Armory scope on it calibrated for the 5.56, the rock river has a 4x16x50 Burris signature select on it, I dont have any problems with either one of them on the lowest setting, day or night calling, but I do like a 2x or 3x for night calling, but theese still work just fine.

ar15001.jpg

All my yote guns including my AR's have 4-14 or 4-16. I usually leave it on 4 power but if they hang up its nice to crank it up. Of course I hunt alot in rolling plains of South Dakota.

It is really hard to give you an opinion of what is best for your situation because we have no idea of how much open country shooting you are doing vs thick cover.

If you are shooting open fields, then the 4-16 is great. When you are hunting deep woods or thick cover, then 4x may be too much for you on certain occasions where the dogs get in closer than 35 yards. Other than that, the 4-16 is my preference.

I used the 3.5x10's up till 1989, then switched to the 4-14's Leupold, 3x12 Burris, and now the Bushnell 4200 4-16.

When calling where shots are 65 yds and under, I ALWAYS grab a shotgun.

You will figure out pretty quick if you "hunt" for the animal in the scope or if you have a natural point and shoot instinct. I have carried many novice hunters over the years, and very quickly I see if a guy needs more field of view because he wants to "hunt" for the target. It does not make you a lesser person if you "hunt" for the target in the scope, it just means that you should lean toward the lower powered scopes with a higher field of view...no big deal.

I have that same power on an AR and I like it. I want to see the spot I am aiming at and I have never had a problem finding an animal when its down on 6x. And if its at 300 yards I have plenty of time to zoom it up and see it. If I am hunting so close in thick cover the magnification causes a problem I will take a shotgun. But that's just me.

We have 4.5-14x40's on all three of our ARs. Nice power range.....even here in the forests of Tennessee it's not too much.

FWIW....one thing that I learned a long time ago was to shoot with both eyes open. It helps when they run in real close and you've got a little too much glass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My opinion is yes also, I have had way to many coyote over the years fill up my scope to the point all I see is fur. Now all my rifles have a 3x9 and it usually stays on 6 unless I have rock chuck or something else way way out there. 3x9 works well for me though.

my ar has a 1-4 leupold. Best switch i ever made. easy to pick em up. i have no probs with 3-9s either. i had a 4-16 but never used the higher powers and the field of few sucked, which was more important to me.

Thanks for the responses, guy!! It's given me a bunch to think about!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

With my "fun" budget now depleated, it may be a while before I can afford another quality scope. So for the time being, it will stay put and I'll give her a shot and see what happens. All the while getting my wish list of specs together for another purchase...

Heaven forbid, I should start another "what scope should I get" thread... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But any suggestions in the 3-9 catagory? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Your scope sounds like the Mueller I have. The 4-16x50 is likely more than you will need for a dedicated calling rifle but there are other things to consider. The field of view at 4X on your scope is as good as some 3X9. The extra magnification comes in handy on small targets and yotes that get nervous way out there. The lighted reticle is nice on dark backgrouds and low-light situations.

The biggest draw backs are the weight and physical size. If that doesn't bother you, then use it till you get something better.

I have a Millitt 4-16x50 Tactical on mine.I like it.Its been on for 10 months, used on both day and nite hunts have no negatives yet on this set up.

Quote:
Your scope sounds like the Mueller I have. The 4-16x50 is likely more than you will need for a dedicated calling rifle but there are other things to consider. The field of view at 4X on your scope is as good as some 3X9. The extra magnification comes in handy on small targets and yotes that get nervous way out there. The lighted reticle is nice on dark backgrouds and low-light situations.

The biggest draw backs are the weight and physical size. If that doesn't bother you, then use it till you get something better.

That's the one Jim!!

Sure it's a bit "weighty" and bulky. But all things considered, it's a nice scope! I just question if it's the right tool for the job...

You, and the rest of the posters, bring up some very good points! I'm going to run a few numbers and get this gun dialed in. Then take this combo out and (hopefully) give it a trial by fire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

If I feel comfortable with the set up, all the better! Financially speaking. If not... It's time for a new scope.

LESS magnification is MORE on a calling rig.

And you kinda want your glass to compliment your rifle. Both for ergos and functionality...(is that a word?)

For example...
A light, quick pointing rig deserves a good low power scope in order to handle as such...

Much like a heavier, long barreled "varmint/target" rifle needs a higher power scope to harness it's inherent accuracy at distance...

f.w.i.w...
My .223 AR has a 2.5-10x and I hardly feel slighted on either end...

Good advice above too. Try what you have and then decide for yourself how YOU like it for your rig and setups. It's easy enough to swap a scope out...

Good luck!

Well, here she is guys...

AR223FDE.jpg

Everything feels "natural" when shouldering the rifle. Comes on target without having to "fidget" my cheek weld at all!! Seems to be a good fit other than the extra weight. The scope and mount added quite a bit in the heft department. Other than that, I think I'm good to go for testing, targeting and field trials!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Still seems HUGE for the rifle, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I think that looks Great!!!!! But I am very partial to big scopes! I use a 5.5x22 on my AR. Red dot on top for up close. Nice Rifle

I am setting one up right now and I went with a leopold euro-30 3x9x40. The 3x9 just seemed to suit what I was going to do with the rifle. sets and range bullet development.

Back