.224" Berger Bullets.....???

TReX300

I'm currently shooting 55grn Blitzkings out of my Savage FLHSS in .22-250. It shoots them quite well. If I do my part it will shoot under .500" without problem. I've been wanting to try some Bergers after hearing quite a bit of good stuff about them. I'd probably go with the 52gn Match or Match Varmint. Most of my shooting is between 100 and 300yrds but shots out to 400-500yrds are not uncommon. Has anyone tried these bullets. How does the Match compare to the Match Varmint? I've never been a fan of using any bullet thats says "match" on it when it comes to hunting. How do the Bergers perform on Coyote size critters?

Thanks
Tim

I have tried many, many diffrent bullets for my 250's and swifts. In my own opinion there is not a better bullet for predators, I have found they need speed to work. The match varmint is more frangible than the match. I'm sure there will be other opinions about this. Very accurate bullet. I have also found all of my bolt guns like them right on the lands. Be aware of pressure signs when you put them on the lands, back off a little of your standard load and work up. I have never had one exit a dog as long as I did not ball joint it or get a bad shot on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Since you have the Savage with the faster twist, try some of the 22 caliber Berger 60's, they are one of the best coyote bullets ever made.

For coyotes, do not get the MEF type of bullets with the larger HP.

I us the 30 Match Varmint in both my AR.223 and my .17 Remington. Both of them will drill tacks. Less than 1/2in 5 shot group at 100 yrds and very fur friendly. Unless you shoot a coyote running at you at about 5 feet. But IMPO Berger is the best thing since sliced bread.

John

Back