Howa 1500 Ranchland/Security Review Part 1

I got the Howa/hogue combo w/ the Nikko scope and I'd say the scope isn't a bad scope. I've got a bushnell trophy and it's as clear as the Nikko. I've compared it to the cheap stuff and I'd say it's a mid-level scope. It's better than the scope you get in the Savage package by a little bit and it's comparable (I'd say a little better) to the scope you get with the Vanguard package.

My 2 bits!

I've looked through some of the NIkko scopes that come on the different Howa packages and the glass looks decent. Clear and bright at least. But the problem I've heard with them is the "tracking" I'll call it, for the lack of a better word, when adjusting from low power to a high power. I've heard several stories that while on say 3x it'll be dead on every time, but then when cranking it up to say 10x it'll be 2-3+ inches off in a said direction...

After flipping through the catalog again it looks like they're offering the Ranchland package in full King's Desert Shadow camo this year. It looks like a nice package to compete with the Savage Predator and the Remington Model 7 Predator, and is available in 6 calibers.

Quote:
I've looked through some of the NIkko scopes that come on the different Howa packages and the glass looks decent. Clear and bright at least. But the problem I've heard with them is the "tracking" I'll call it, for the lack of a better word, when adjusting from low power to a high power. I've heard several stories that while on say 3x it'll be dead on every time, but then when cranking it up to say 10x it'll be 2-3+ inches off in a said direction...

I haven't been able to run the scope through the paces yet so I'll have to report on that down the road. I'm still waiting for a good (i.e. not windy) day to run the first batch of test loads. I did get the scope with the paralax adjustment on it so hopefully that will help a little although if it does have a "tracking" problem the paralax adjustment won't correct it. That is if I understand things correctly. This is the 1st scope I've had with paralax adjustment. I'll report on anything that I notice as I play with it.

Back