New to Trapping

wsurugby10

I'd like to start trapping next season but I really don't know where to get started. I have a few questions maybe you guys could help me on my way.

1. As a new trapper what should I start trapping?
2. To get started how many traps (type/size) should I buy/set and where should I get them at?

As you can tell I need all of the help I can get. If you guys could offer any tips for a beginner I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,
Dan

I just started too. Actually I've only had trap out for 2 days so I'm as green as it gets. I would say muskrats would be good to start with. From I can tell so far their relatively easy to trap and real easy to skin. I'm using 1.5 coil springs.

I would keep an eye on this site- http://www.ohiostatetrapper.org/convention.html

it will list when the next ohio state convention is. Usually there are a lot of trappers that show up and put on seminars. Lots of tailgaters too with all kinds of used traps for sale. What you want to trap will dictate what traps you will want, also look at ohio state laws as to trap sizes that are legal, as it is different for every state.

also on that site they have a listing of fur auctions, might be worth it to go and check it out. Might be able to tag along with someone on their line to learn some stuff. Its good to see the difference between properly handled pelts and improper ones and the difference in the prices they bring.

I can't help you with the "what you should trap" part, but I'd recommend you get a dozen traps (size depends on what you're going after) and see if you'll like it. You'll also need to make investment in baits and lures, fleshing beam and knife, stretchers, stakes, etc. Don't go overboard buying a bunch of traps and then not having enough money to put up your fur. Start small and use your profits from sold fur to buy more traps if it's something you think you'll keep doing.

It used to be about the only way to learn was to tag along with an experienced trapper or use trial and error. Now days there's lots of good DVDs out there to help you get started.

Try the library theres a lot of books about trapping, check into state trapping assoc they might have a trapping course you can take or the dnr might

For beginers coon and muskrat are hard to beat. Having sucess is very important to new trappers...nothing beats comming up on a set that holds fur. If your not going to start till next year that gives you plenty of time to scout and secure permission from land owners. Dont waith untill next fall to start scouting, now while the vegetation is down and the snow is on is a perfect time to see what critters are out there and where they travel. Carry a note book and maybe a camera to record the information.

I would also recomend joining your state trapping association. Being a member can be a great way to meet other trappers and during their fur auctions there are usually venders selling trapping supplies and animal skinning and fur handeling demos.

Fur-Fish And Game magazine was my main stay for information when I started trapping in the mid seventies.....for that matter it still is my favorite outdoor mag.

Since your new to trapping I figure you are new to fur handling as well. I have this DVD set and would recomend ot to anyone that is new or someone that wants to become more effecient at putting up fur. http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Fur+Handling/Books+Videos/Fur+Handling+Videos/

Hope this helps.

WVM

Back