releasing unwanted animals

bradmhendrickson

I am very new to trapping and haven't even started to trap fox yet. Just mink and muskrat so far. When I do start trapping fox I'm worried I will catch a neighborhood dog or cat. How do you go about releasing them from the leg trap without getting bit or hurting the animal. I just ordered one of those dog catcher poles so I'm sure that will help. Maybe the answer is very carefully but hopefully someone has tips.

get yourself a 3'x4' piece of plywood preferably 1/2". in the middle of the 3' side cut an upside down "U" about 4" high. attach a handle to the back and WALLAH ya got yourself a unwanted animal getter-outter.
ok now to use it, its sorta like a sheild of sorts. walk up to the animal with it inches off the ground and when your close enough get the notch over its arm. then you and the trap will be on one side of the board while the animal trying to tear your face off is on the other. depress the trap levers and its free to go. leave it in your truck and go back if ya catch someones dog or cat as long as its not too far.
oh yeah NEVER trust a dog or cat in a trap. they look nice until they bite you.
hope this helped

Zach

They might need to go to the vet and have the paw put in a cast... Then other neighborhood dogs and cats can sign the cast ;-)

Quote:
You can use a catch pole like animal control people use. That is what I use, worth every penny of the 90$ I spent on it.

I ordered one. So you kinda hold the head so it can't bite you and get your feet on the trap?

Catch poles work well, old blankets work well, feed sacks as well. The catch pole is the best, EXCEPT, when you have a cat of any type in a trap. Those paws and claws are like a proverbial buzzsaw!!! Skunks can be fun to.(I never let them go - tough on the game birds) Now, trapper0829s idea has very good merit!! It appears that it would work fine for every critter out there and still leave your skin intact... As he says, NEVER trust a cat or dog in a trap....

i ordered my catch pole from murrays, $22 + shipping
here is what mine looks like 4 footer

catchpole_55.jpg

Back